Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Canada on my own!

Options
  • 20-10-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    I am planning on moving to canada in the summer. I am a 23 year old female who will be finished college in May. I don't want to stay in Ireland. My friend said he would move with me but I really don't think he is going to go and none of the rest of my friends are interested going over. I am nervous at the thought of it but I know it's something I want and need to do for myself. I think il just go for it and apply for the visa when they come out so I'll have to go over. Has anyone who has went over on their own any advise or able to tell me what it is like to go over on their own not knowing anyone?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well the best place to get advise is over in the Canada Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

Hi depending where your going try irish in calgary or edmonton on face book they are very good for info rooms jobs everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Hi depending where your going try irish in calgary or edmonton on face book they are very good for info rooms jobs everything :D

I came over to Canada on my own last year, I'm in Vancouver.
    I'm the same as you in that I needed to get away.
    I managed to get contacts of friends of friends that were here and I just dropped them Facebook messages introducing myself and just saying hello.

I was nervous but I settled here very quickly and made lots of friends. Lots of Irish here too that really look out for each other.

Where are you looking to go to?
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭oceanstreet

You will be absolutely fine, many people go away on their own and in many ways it's actually better. You are better able to meet people because you're not stuck to the friend you brought. I'm thinking of moving there on my own too, won't know till last minute though.

Apply for the visa, grab a little canadian flag, kiss your parents goodbye and go for it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

hi all, i have the same story as you just a year ahead of ya :) friend chickened out last min so im off on my own, flying out in a few days and im ****ting a brick! advice would be to plan everything months ahead and apply to every and all jobs you see. if you need any more advice give me a pm about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Im going on my own and can't wait.

Ive travelled a fair bit before alone and its the best way. Be excited. Its gonna be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Go for it. Youll be back one day so why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Micks26

I'm going on my own end of Jan. Obviously worried and anxious but hey that's life, certainly better than staying on the dole over here. If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Raise your glasses! :D To those of us with the courage to go it alone! To making a fresh start! Fk it let's do it!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭oceanstreet

Wait till we get there and then we will raise a moose head and toast to our courage :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Raise your glasses! :D To those of us with the courage to go it alone! To making a fresh start! Fk it let's do it!! :p

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kildare263

Hi All...i'm heading off on my own too :) Flight booked to Vancouver for May 2014!! Looking forward to a new start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

You will be absolutely fine. If one thing the irish are good for its looking after their own when theyre abroad especially in states and canada.

If you have no friends or family and you need jobs first port of call should be the irish bars. (the local variety type bar, NOT the faux irish ones) best time to go is friday evenings after work and also the irish association of the city you're in. be it calgary toronto or vancouver.
    They can help you with getting a place to stay or a job and in some cases will give references for you.

Which is more than be said for consulates and embassies. Waste of time those places. so dont even think they'll help cos in most cases theyre as good as a string a s***e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I don't drink and honestly, I avoid bars. I have however been lucky enough to make a few contacts in Vancouver before I arrive. Maybe I'll try libraries...and book clubs...and debating clubs :D No seriously, meetup.com looks excellent and highly recommended. I'll try these business meetings/breakfasts/meetups that everyone talks about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Greater Vancouver and Toronto together comprise less than one quarter of Canada's population. There are many opportunities outside these cities, and the cost of living is way lower too.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Greater Vancouver and Toronto together comprise less than one quarter of Canada's population. There are many opportunities outside these cities, and the cost of living is way lower too.

All well and good but having no car whatever .transport is gonna be easier in a larger city which is a huge bonus with the larger city's like van and toronto

Advertisement