Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and Advice Needed re Possible Abuse

• 20-10-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I really need advice and some help with a situation I find myself in. I am becoming more and more concerned about the number of dogs (and condition) a neighbour of mine now has in his garden.

The house is rented and a guy moved in quite recently (he's not very nice). Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that the number of dogs he has in his garden are increasing, and now there are 7 there (the garden is not very big). They are kept on short 3-4ft chains all day long, and I am not sure if they are walked. They live outside full time and I really cannot listen to them cry anymore it is heartbreaking. The breeds are a mix bull-dogs and staffs (I think) and I just have this awful feeling that they are being kept there in order to be involved in dog fights.

I really do not know what to do. Call the Garda? What? Will they be able to help or will they pop in, he tells them a story about them being pets and they walk away? And of course, I do not want him to know it is me that makes the call.

Please if you have any kind of experience or if you can tell me what I can do let me know. I am a dog owner myself and the thoughts of them being bred to be involved with such an awful act makes me want to puke. And even if I am wrong, leaving 7 dogs chained up in a garden 24/7 is still 'abuse' to me.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you can find out who the LL is, then your first port of call is to him. Tell the LL exactly what's happening with the dogs and the garden. The lease probably does not allow for dogs, and certainly not seven!

Next call would be to the dog warden. And I would call the ISPCA too. The dog warden and the ISPCA will treat your call as confidential. The LL - I'm not so sure, but I suppose you could ask that your name be kept out of it.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Wouldn't involve landlords or even mention it to neighbours; you never know who's friends with who. The guards may or may not be of use to you here.

Personally I'd call the ISPCA. They are going to be able to give the clearest advice, and will call and actually follow up any concerns. Give them a call in the morning; I had to do the same myself a few years ago.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Wouldn't involve landlords or even mention it to neighbours; you never know who's friends with who. The guards may or may not be of use to you here.

Personally I'd call the ISPCA. They are going to be able to give the clearest advice, and will call and actually follow up any concerns. Give them a call in the morning; I had to do the same myself a few years ago.:)

It's the landlord's property!! Why shouldn't he be told? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

If you can find out who the LL is, then your first port of call is to him. Tell the LL exactly what's happening with the dogs and the garden. The lease probably does not allow for dogs, and certainly not seven!

Next call would be to the dog warden. And I would call the ISPCA too. The dog warden and the ISPCA will treat your call as confidential. The LL - I'm not so sure, but I suppose you could ask that your name be kept out of it.

HTH

Agree with all the above except that I would be inclined to call the ISPCA (or DSPCA if you're in Dublin) first, as well as the Gardai.
    If the dogs are chained all the time, do they have any access to shelter even? It sounds very suspicious, definitely needs to be acted on

It's the landlord's property!! Why shouldn't he be told? :confused:

I would say that, yes the landlord needs to be told, but not before the SPCA/Gardai.
    The LL could maybe evict the guy for breach of lease, or tell him to get rid of the dogs, but that is unlikely to solve the issue, just move it elsewhere. Seven chained dogs in a small yard sounds extremely dodgy, and needs to be officially investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Thank you.

To be honest I do not this the LL will do anything, they seem to not really care about the place once they get the rent.

But do you think the ISPCA will be able to do anything? Would they remove the dogs? Do they have the authority to do that?

I will ring them no probs, but I want to make sure they will do something. Its just so upsetting because if the dogs are removed, they will more than likely just be replaced with another 7 :(

Most landlords will tolerate a lot as long as theyre paid.

If I knew the owner personally, or knew they were reasonable people, I'd tell them first.

But if I didn't, my advice stands:)

I think they all have shelther, they are chained near kennels. Their cries are just so upsetting :( They are so lonely.

ISPCA are very proactive from my experience. Just make sure and contact them if you have concerns:)

Thank you, I googled the number so I will give them a call in the morning with the details. I really hope they can help. I will let you all know what happens.

Thank you all so much for your help.

• Advertisement

Zebrano wrote: »
    Thank you.

To be honest I do not this the LL will do anything, they seem to not really care about the place once they get the rent.

But do you think the ISPCA will be able to do anything? Would they remove the dogs? Do they have the authority to do that?

I will ring them no probs, but I want to make sure they will do something. Its just so upsetting because if the dogs are removed, they will more than likely just be replaced with another 7 :(

I think there are reasonable grounds for them to pay him a visit, especially if you voice your concerns that there may be some links to dogfighting (although, I'm wondering if dogfighting people would have their dogs in view of neighbours). At the very least, they should call to check the conditions that the dogs are being kept in.
    A further potential angle to be investigated, and one you should mention when speaking to the SPCA, is whether he may have the dogs to breed (which to me sounds quite a likely scenario). If at least six of the dogs are intact females of breeding age, then he has to be registered as a breeding establishment.
    Seven dogs kept on chains in a small backyard does not sound like someone keeping them as pets. He needs to be investigated. Let us know how you get on

Thank you Mosi, I did not know about the rule re registering, so that may be another reason for grounds for a visit like you said.

I will let you know how it pans out.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Is the garden visable from any public road or area?

brrabus wrote: »
    Is the garden visable from any public road or area?

No it not

Zebrano wrote: »
    No it not
    The ISPCA are restricted to only entering private property if they can view the issue from a public area. Our laws are so out of date.

Update, I called the ISPCA and they were very helpful. They are contacting the gardai to arrange a call but have requested a photo of what I can see. Is this a good idea? Could it be traceable back to me?

Delighted they can help those poor dogs.

TBH, if the photo could give any indication as to where it was taken from and therefore identifying you, I would not pass one over. By all means take one, but only for showing to them. If they see a photo, they can identify what is going on and then they can take all the photos they like once they enter the property. They will be using this to allow the Garda to get a warrant to enter the property if the owners will not allow them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

All reports to ISPCA are treated in the strictest confidence. Im sure it would help them a lot to email them a picture - I doubt it would be convenient to arrange to meet them to show them one. If you have concerns about giving them a picture you should speak to them directly about your concerns. Well done for doing something to help - you're brilliant!

Well done, you've done the right thing completely...that scenario sets off so many alarm bells, something is going on, be it dogfighting, breeding, theft, hoarding or whatever. I would take the photo and, as maggiepip said, have a talk with them about your concerns. I'm sure though that they would make sure not to implicate you/put you at risk, they deal with everything confidentially. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Do other houses or open space adjoin his property?

• Advertisement

Yes he is attached to one other house. Not sure if that person has made any complaints, or may not have noticed it yet?

I was just wondering was he adjoined by anything other than your house.

If it was me, I think I'd try and take the photo from another angle (if a vacant house or green space or Laneway etc. Joins at the back or side) if it was possible

But if you can't, I'd take it quietly anyway, show it the ISPCA, but I don't think I'd want it as a potential exhibit not knowing who you're neighbour is.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

The ISPCA take their own pictures when on the property - they would just want a better idea of the situation, if possible, before they call.

Advertisement