Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog roled in poop, please help

• 20-10-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi everyone
    Hoping for some advice here as if i don't get this sorted soon my boss will be getting a text saying i won't be at work tomorrow as I couldn't take dog anywhere in his current smelly state
    Brought my dog free running yesterday. My mum thought he was just roling in dirt but as soon as we called him over when run was finished to go back on his lead for home time, we instantly new that it was poop. baby shampoo was used when we got home, but to no avail. He still smells awful today and this is something that I really need to get sorted by the end of this evening if possible.
    Advice appreciated please and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

afterglow wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Hoping for some advice here as if i don't get this sorted soon my boss will be getting a text saying i won't be at work tomorrow as I couldn't take dog anywhere in his current smelly state
    Brought my dog free running yesterday. My mum thought he was just roling in dirt but as soon as we called him over when run was finished to go back on his lead for home time, we instantly new that it was poop. baby shampoo was used when we got home, but to no avail. He still smells awful today and this is something that I really need to get sorted by the end of this evening if possible.
    Advice appreciated please and thanks in advance.

Wash him again & try rubbing in tomato ketchup into his smelly coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If it becomes a habit, make him wear a dog jacket. It's easier to clean than the dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Its INSTINCT that causes dogs to roll in poop/other nasty smelly things - they are trying to camoflage their smell from predators, so dont be too cross with him!

Ketchup is used in the States to remove skunk smell (yikes!) off dogs, but you need to use a lot of it! If you dont have enough ketchup to smother the stinkiness, try some vinegar diluted in warm water - use a sponge to apply, rinse off well. You might also need to give him another bath to really get rid of it, use warm water and lots of rinsing. Stinky dogs are no fun at night when the house is warm and they want to sit on your sofa/lap etc! Are you in the country - could it have been FOX poo which is particularly nasty smelling.

My mother used to spray some of her perfume on our dog who particularly went out of his way to roll in everything disgusting he could find - never successful - the mixture of stinky dog plus perfume is worse!!! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Use 3 parts warm water and 1 part vinegar - a groomer friend told me to do that and it works. ;). You may need to wash the area again afterwards if you don't want the dog to smell of vinegar :p. I always put a bandana on my guy to catch the bulk of it in case it if he rolls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I've used coffee to get rid of the smell of stagnant swamp my dog insists in swimming in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

+1 for the ketchup

muddypaws wrote: »
    +1 for the ketchup

I hate tomatoes and think I'd be more disgusted at ketchup than poo lol! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

I used washing up liquid in am emergency once and it did fine. Use a good dolllop.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

muddypaws wrote: »
    +1 for the ketchup
    Hi all
    Firstly, thanks so much all for your replies.
    Thankfully I'm not in the country so it wasn't fox poo. I was going to get him a proper wash but my mum is now picking him up in the morning, going to wash him in the garden, and then drop him to work for me. Nice of her :)
    I will mention the vinigar and tomato sauce ideas to her as a guide. Is baby shampoo a waste of time and would one of the above be better?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

fredweena wrote: »
    I used washing up liquid in am emergency once and it did fine. Use a good dolllop.

Hi Fredweena
    I will certainly mention this as well. being a house with a family living in it there is definitely no shortage of fairy.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

afterglow wrote: »
    Thankfully I'm not in the country so it wasn't fox poo.

Plenty of foxes in cities! My dog rolled in fox poo the other week on a GAA pitch in Sandyford -during our lunch break at a training workshop! >_< He's rolled in it our local park too...one time a beagle went in the bushes for ages and chased a fox out lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Don't use the washing up liquid - it's really harsh and drying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Don't forget to wash the collar, it sometimes gets overlooked and you can be left wondering why they still stink....

Have you washed him head to toe? Or just the patch you think has been rolled in? Better to wash him fully in the bath with mild shampoo then he really shouldn't be still smelling. Although human and fox poo are seriously strong stinkers...

Advertisement