Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who in your opinion is the best player in the premiership right now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cant believe Ramsey is only third, he is by far the best player in the league at the moment, now that mightnt last but right now he is electric and arguably as good as Bale was last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ouzil .... ramsey?
    arsenal fans are out

answer is suarez

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Raf32 wrote: »
    Cant believe Ramsey is only third, he is by far the best player in the league at the moment, now that mightnt last but right now he is electric and arguably as good as Bale was last year.

Completely depends on how you interpret the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So "best" equals the player in form over an 8 game sample. Cool beans. I will return to this thread come season's end...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Well obviously not judging the voting of the top two on the poll.

Go ahead though and take a few people's comments as representative of everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Since its right now, gotta be Ramsey, playing out of his skin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ramsey - the guy has taken his chance as made himself practically undroppable. 9 goals from the attacking middle is a tremendous return and he does so much else. Anyone who picked Suarez is an idiot.

that's harsh mike
    vp was player of the year last year and he's got 3% here
    opinions m8 eh?
    opinions like this will always be tribal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I assumed it was who is the best player so far this season, if so it's Ozil for me, Suarez has only played 3 games.

If it's who is the best player in general, it's a toss up between RVP, Suarez, Ozil, Mata and a few others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Voted for Ramsey, but Ozil or Suarez would easily be up there if it wasn't for my man love for Rambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

lol what's Theo doin' on the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gimli2112 wrote: »
    that's harsh mike
    vp was player of the year last year and he's got 3% here
    opinions m8 eh?
    opinions like this will always be tribal

I'm not a gooner, Suarez has played 3 games, even Sturridge doesn't deserve this 8 games played award (!) as I knew he'd score loads - Ramseys form has come out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

CSF wrote: »
    Lads, the poll clearly didn't mean who has recently hit the best form, and there is no way Ramsey is even close to the best player in the Premiership. Not even in the top 3 players at Arsenal.

who in your opinion is the best premiership player right now?that means the player in the best form,which is ramsey. no one else is playing to his standard.he might not be the best attwg end or in 10 games time but at the minute he's the most in form player.you'll never be manager if you've already got your best players laid out in your mind. players improve

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm not a gooner, Suarez has played 3 games, even Sturridge doesn't deserve this 8 games played award (!) as I knew he'd score loads - Ramseys form has come out of nowhere.

y'er a good poster
    these type of polls are trouble
    i don't watch enough footie to comment on ramsey but for me suarez is sublime
    anyway fowler'd batter em all :)

Ramsey is the best right now no question but if we werent going on form, its a toss up between Ozil, RVP, Suarez and Yaya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Isn't it a bit unfair that very few defenders are ever included in these types of polls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Isn't it a bit unfair that very few defenders are ever included in these types of polls?

BXCb5TZIEAAh5lk.jpg:large

:pac: :pac: :pac:

Kompany is a top 5 player imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

I agree with what your saying but all the hype these days is surrounding attacking players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Raf32 wrote: »
    Kompany is a top 5 player imo

i agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Kompany would get into any team in the world really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Suarez for me but I wouldn't mind having Ozil or Rooney in the Liverpool team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Kompany would get into any team in the world really

absolutely. he's a beast, and a leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Kompanys missing too many games to count him as the genuine best right now,Even though he's immense when fighting fit.

Dejan Lovren...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

1. Özil
    2. Suarez
    3. Aguero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Youse are all nuts, best player by a mile is......................ah **** it I cant even think of a smart arse comment tbh. Not worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ramsey is the player that's playing above his level the most, not the best player in the league. A bit like Charlie Adam in 2010/11. I remember I made a poll for best player of the season then, I included Fabregas and left out Adam and was slated for it. Playing well above your station does not mean you're outperforming great players that aren't at their best.

Not that I like comparing Ramsey to Adam, I think he has much more about him. But I don't think he's been as 'good' as the likes of Ozil, Yaya Toure, Aguero etc. He's just performed at a much higher level than expected of him, which for some reason leads people to believe he's been the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Off topic, but Adam Lallana is superb player that doesn't even get nearly enough credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Blatter wrote: »
    Ramsey is the player that's playing above his level the most, not the best player in the league. A bit like Charlie Adam in 2010/11. I remember I made a poll for best player of the season then, I included Fabregas and left out Adam and was slated for it. Playing well above your station does not mean you're outperforming great players that aren't at their best.

Not that I like comparing Ramsey to Adam, I think he has much more about him. But I don't think he's been as 'good' as the likes of Ozil, Yaya Toure, Aguero etc. He's just performed at a much higher level than expected of him, which for some reason leads people to believe he's been the best.

I voted Ozil, but this is nonsense. In terms of general play, Ramsey has been better than him so far this season. He has been the best player on the pitch in nearly every game he's played, and no facet of his game has been less than superb. His tackling, passing, control, and goalscoring have been top, top notch.

I don't remember an Arsenal player having as purple a patch in a long, long time. 5 goals, 3 assists, 87% passing, leading the league in tackling (I think, he certainly was a few weeks back), in 8 games. What has Yaya Toure done better than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Blatter wrote: »
    Off topic, but Adam Lallana is superb player that doesn't even get nearly enough credit.

That's what the under/overrated player thread is for :pac:

I agree with you though, smashing player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Something seriously special about Aguero even as a United fan, he seems so under rated but at the moment I think Ozil or YaYa Toure are the best!

Ozil is the obvious choice, but Ramsey for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No votes for Olivier Giroud or David Luiz, I considered giving them a vote so they won't feel left out.

In the end went for Aguero, he's some player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Perhaps we should rename this the "best Arsenal player in the prem" thread and be done with it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

CSF wrote: »
    When even the United fans aren't voting Van Persie, you know things are bad at United
    Or maybe there's a new arrival in the league that we accept is a better player?
    Last 2 seasons it was van Persie for me but Özil steals it this time around.

These polls should really be made public. What's the point in giving people anonymity to vote who they want to win rather than who they think should win?
    I'm glad common sense is prevailing here for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Moneymaker wrote: »
    That's what the under/overrated player thread is for :pac:

I agree with you though, smashing player.

Very tidy plaer, how the likes of Cleverly and Welbeck get into the England side ahead of him I'll never know. Oh wait he doesn't play for united :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kirby wrote: »
    Perhaps we should rename this the "best Arsenal player in the prem" thread and be done with it :P

Funny you should say that. There's a table over on the Arsenal thread showing the 20 best players in Europe atm. There are 3 from Arsenal (Ramsey highest ranked) and none from anyone else in the EPL. I'd copy it over to here but I'm on my phone.

rob316 wrote: »
    Very tidy plaer, how the likes of Cleverly and Welbeck get into the England side ahead of him I'll never know. Oh wait he doesn't play for united :pac::pac:
    Derp!! Welbeck plays as a striker for England. What a shìt post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

greendom wrote: »
    Funny you should say that. There's a table over on the Arsenal thread showing the 20 best players in Europe atm. There are 3 from Arsenal (Ramsey highest ranked) and none from anyone else in the EPL. I'd copy it over to here but I'm on my phone.

Indeed. It's possible to support your team and be realistic about it at the same time. I'm pretty sure if people on boards were asked to pick a premiership eleven, Ozil would be the only gunner to be in most peoples teams. A few might pick Wilshere and a few might pick Ramsey because of his good form but Ozil is the only one who would likely make everybodies.

But to be fair, the thread does say specifically, "right now".....so surely form has to come into it? And Ramsey did win player of the month for a reason. It's hardly surprising a lot of gunners are tooting his horn.
    Derp!! Welbeck plays as a striker for England.

He played on the wing in his last England game though. It's a position he's familiar with. He's hardly going to start through the middle ahead of Sturridge and Rooney now, is he?

• Advertisement

Derp!! Welbeck plays as a striker for England. What a shìt post.

Derp! last time I checked a striker actually scores goals :pac::pac: Lallana is a forward/winger and I'd wager would be a far more effective player.

He played on the wing in his last England game though. It's a position he's familiar with. He's hardly going to start through the middle ahead of Sturridge and Rooney now, is he?
    He's interchangeable, as is Lallana.
    If you see Welbeck and Lallana as wingers then Cleverley is not keeping him out. Still a shìt post.

Derp! last time I checked a striker actually scores goals :pac::pac: Lallana is a forward/winger and I'd wager would be a far more effective player.
    Last time I checked, Welbeck was scoring goals when playing as a striker. Especially for England...

He's interchangeable, as is Lallana.
    If you see Welbeck and Lallana as wingers then Cleverley is not keeping him out. Still a shìt post.

My comment about cleverly was more about the calibre of player, so apologies I didn't make it clear.

My comment about cleverly was more about the calibre of player, so apologies I didn't make it clear.
    You said they were ahead of him no?

Indeed. It's possible to support your team and be realistic about it at the same time. I'm pretty sure if people on boards were asked to pick a premiership eleven, Ozil would be the only gunner to be in most peoples teams. A few might pick Wilshere and a few might pick Ramsey because of his good form but Ozil is the only one who would likely make everybodies.
    I'd say Ozil, and maybe Zabaleta and Kompany, would be the only players who would make almost everybody's teams. Someone could legitimately say:
    Lloris
    Zabaleta Kompany Terry Cole
    Silva Ozil Toure Mata
    Van Persie Aguero

Or

Cech
    Zabaleta Kompany Vidic Baines
    Arteta
    Oscar Ozil Cazorla
    Rooney Suarez

or an entirely changed team to that still.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »

screenshot_00002_zps281dae8a.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd say Ozil, and maybe Zabaleta and Kompany, would be the only players who would make almost everybody's teams. Someone could legitimately say:
    Lloris
    Silva Ozil Toure Mata
    Van Persie Aguero

Or

Cech
    Zabaleta Kompany Vidic Baines
    Arteta
    Oscar Ozil Cazorla
    Rooney Suarez

or an entirely changed team to that still.
    I love Arteta, but he shouldn't be there. Yaya should, every time.

I love Arteta, but he shouldn't be there. Yaya should, every time.

Fair enough, you're probably right. That's not exactly the point I'm trying to make though. I was trying to point out that there are very few players who'd make everyone's list. Yaya might, true.

I'd go with

Lloris
    Cazorla Toure Ozil Mata
    Van Persie Aguero

myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

mike65 wrote: »
    Ramsey - the guy has taken his chance as made himself practically undroppable. 9 goals from the attacking middle is a tremendous return and he does so much else. Anyone who picked Suarez is an idiot.

Depends on how you interpret the question.

If you take it to mean the player who has stood out over the course of the 8 games so far, it's Ramsey.

If he's asking who is the best player playing in the premier league right now, then it's someone else...Suarez, Rooney, RVP, Mata, Ozil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Firstly, I don't think it's Ramsey. I don't think the question is 'who is playing the best football at the moment?' but rather 'who is the best player 'on paper'?'

Ramsey would have to produce this form over at least a season to be considered. Likewise, RVP's indifferent early season form only bears a very small consideration when answering this question.

For me there are probably 4 stand out candidates (maybe an honorable mention for Yaya Toure):

Aguero
    Ozil
    Suarez
    Van Persie

From there it's really, really tough to pick and really it depends what you want. It's complicated by their differing roles as you're not comparing like for like.

Ozil, as an uber-creative attacking midfielders possibly can claim he is the best in the world in his position/role. Iniesta probably shades him, but for me it's between those two and it's very close. Basically no one really outshines Ozil in world football when it comes to doing what he's best at.

I'm not sure if the same can be said of Aguero and Suarez who, while not exactly the same type of player, I would describe as something like a 'free role forward' and their teams' star player. In other words they are similar to Messi, in role/position, but obviously not as good.

RVP maybe has a shout as being up there amongst the best 'number 9's' in the world, though I'm not sure if he stands out as the very obvious choice, and he is still outshone by Ronaldo and Messi when it comes to goalscoring.

On this criteria, I would say Ozil probably has the best chance of making into a 'World XI'.

However, I don't know if that makes him a 'better' player.

For example I think Suarez would make a much bigger difference to a struggling team than Ozil. There's an argument that Ozil would not shine amongst average players - he needs highly technical and intelligent players to show his best stuff. Whereas Suarez could probably shine under a number of different styles and make a huge difference to otherwise poor teams.

In this respect, if it was like a school playground and we were doing 'picks' and I had first pick (out of just the Premier League), I would probably choose Suarez. So on this criteria I'd probably just about go for him.

But really there's an argument for any of the four I mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement