Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who in your opinion is the best player in the premiership right now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

A few games doesnt make Suarez better than RVP imo, last two and a half years rvp has been miles ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Isn't it perfectly obvious that Luis Suarez is the best player in the Premier League at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just rename the thread player of the week and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

niallo27 wrote: »
    You could argue he was better than Suarez last season, you would be wrong, but you could argue it if you want.

Less goals, less assists, less trophies? Can't really see that one. To be fair, thread title does say best player right now. But you were the one suggesting we shouldn't base it on the short term. Putting Suarez over RVP in the long term is laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Less goals, less assists, less trophies? Can't really see that one. To be fair, thread title does say best player right now. But you were the one suggesting we shouldn't base it on the short term. Putting Suarez over RVP in the long term is laughable

Saying Suarez is miles ahead based on the last 2 years is idiotic, he's clearly not and only is to Liverpool supporters. So far this season you could say he's been better than RVP, but it's so early and really pointless.

There wasn't a huge margin between Suarez and RvP last season tbh in terms of brilliance.

Imo Suarez was better last season than this. He's only warming up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Ozil has just walked right into the Arsenal team and become a star not just in there team but in the league.

Hes exactly what United could of done with. If things continue as they are hes the man who could also win Arsenal the league this season.

He was a star before he joined Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Isn't it perfectly obvious that Luis Suarez is the best player in the Premier League at the moment?

No. It's not

Suarez has only played 4 games in the league this season too :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

niallo27 wrote: »
    You could argue he was better than Suarez last season, you would be wrong, but you could argue it if you want.

I'm sure he's real cut up about finishing top scorer and getting a league medal just because some Liverpool fans need something to cling onto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liam O wrote: »
    I'm sure he's real cut up about finishing top scorer and getting a league medal just because some Liverpool fans need something to cling onto.

What's that got to do with anything. I never claimed van Persie was upset with my opinion. I'm not even sure he knows that I think Suarez is a better footballer than him. You know just because he is behind Suarez doesn't mean he is not a brilliant footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

suarez will end up playing for one of barca/real madrid rvp will not. Fairly simplistic but lets not kid ourselves thats where the real world class players end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

suarez will end up playing for one of barca/real madrid rvp will not. Fairly simplistic but lets not kid ourselves thats where the real world class players end up.

The day Luis Suarez ends up playing for Barcelona is the day I sit and watch each "Scary Movie" back to back.

The day Luis Suarez ends up playing for Barcelona is the day I sit and watch each "Scary Movie" back to back.

ha ha it would be at madrid where he will end up Id imagine. The point I was trying to make is that for the last 6-7 years all the PLs best players are ending up at these two clubs. Fabregas, alonso, bale, modric, ronaldo, mascherano(to a lesser extent). RVP moved clubs and neither of the big two clubs went for him I'd be very surprised if suarez doesnt end up at madrid next summer.

ha ha it would be at madrid where he will end up Id imagine. The point I was trying to make is that for the last 6-7 years all the PLs best players are ending up at these two clubs. Fabregas, alonso, bale, modric, ronaldo, mascherano(to a lesser extent). RVP moved clubs and neither of the big two clubs went for him I'd be very surprised if suarez doesnt end up at madrid next summer.

I agree with you, generally the very best of the best end up playing for Spain's top two and, I've never made a secret of the fact that I don't rate RVP as highly as others seem to do. I'd also fancy Suarez to end up at Real Madrid, as talented a player as he is, for me I would not like to see him at Barcelona. However I understand and agree with the point you are making.

• Advertisement

That's grand then. Schweinsteiger isn't world class so?

That's one of the stupidest yardsticks I've seen used on the soccer forum in fairness.

You're basing this totally on speculation as well, I bet you didn't know RVP was linked with Barcelona in 2011/2012.

So what does that do to your theory, RVP was linked with Barca and Suarez was linked with Madrid, who just sold Ozil, probably the best player in his position in the world, and replaced him with Bale for twice the money.

RVP is the better player if you're using the last few years as your yardstick, so far this season Suarez is beating him but we'll see if that's still the same at the end of the season.

I doubt he is saying that every world class player must play for Barcelona/Real Madrid, just that the majority do and that the very best to ever play the game, the majority have played for either Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Also in the case of Schweinsteiger, surely that is down to the player not wanting to move to either club, rather than the clubs not wanting him. Weren't Real Madrid in for him a couple of seasons ago?

That's one of the stupidest yardsticks I've seen used on the soccer forum in fairness.

You're basing this totally on speculation as well, I bet you didn't know RVP was linked with Barcelona in 2011/2012.

So what does that do to your theory, RVP was linked with Barca and Suarez was linked with Madrid, who just sold Ozil, probably the best player in his position in the world, and replaced him with Bale for twice the money.

RVP is the better player if you're using the last few years as your yardstick, so far this season Suarez is beating him but we'll see if that's still the same at the end of the season.

rvp is not going to get any better I believe suarez will.I believe a not at his peak yet suarez is currently as good if not better than rvp based on the last 18 months. It doesnt matter that Ozil has moved from madrid he played for them(or barca) as all the best players in the world tend to. He has come to the PL and is probably the best player in the league already which strengthens my argument( he has played for one of the two big worldwide teams).

I doubt he is saying that every world class player must play for Barcelona/Real Madrid, just that the majority do and that the very best to ever play the game, the majority have played for either Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Also in the case of Schweinsteiger, surely that is down to the player not wanting to move to either club, rather than the clubs not wanting him. Weren't Real Madrid in for him a couple of seasons ago?

Yeah, he's just saying the real ones end up there...

• Advertisement

he hasnt moved clubs and why should he. If he was to move though you can be sure it would be to real or barca where he would prefer to go. I never said anything about schweinsteiger not being world class anyway so its a bit of a silly argument to make.

Yeah, he's just saying the real ones end up there...

twist it whatever way you want you know what I meant. Zidane, figo, ronaldinho, ronaldo, messi, original ronaldo, neymar, xavi, iniesta, romario,, rivaldo, koeman, roberto carlos, cruyff, kaka etc etc all ended up at these two teams. Of course there are a lot of players that dont end up at real/barca for various reasons and why would a lot of the current B munich team move, but history has shown that when the true greats transfer clubs its to real and barca they move to. Suarez hasnt moved their yet so its speculation but I honestly believe he will end up there.

rvp is not going to get any better I believe suarez will.I believe a not at his peak yet suarez is currently as good if not better than rvp based on the last 18 months. It doesnt matter that Ozil has moved from madrid he played for them(or barca) as all the best players in the world tend to. He has come to the PL and is probably the best player in the league already which strengthens my argument( he has played for one of the two big worldwide teams).

I also believe Suarez will only get better if he moves to a club with better calibre players around him but RVP has still been the better player over the last 18 months.

He's out-scored, out-assisted and dragged United to the title, single handedly at times, in the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That Martinez fella must not have been up to much either. And clearly then Bale is a better player than Suarez. Yep, great logic being used in this thread.

Mascherano > Bergkamp according to logic here so

I also believe Suarez will only get better if he moves to a club with better calibre players around him but RVP has still been the better player over the last 18 months.

He's out-scored, out-assisted and dragged United to the title, single handedly at times, in the last 18 months.

RVP played in a team that scored 15 more goals than suarez's team and he made 5 more appearances than suarez last season while returning 3 more goals. Suarez doesnt take pens and a lot of the time didnt play as the central striker so I'd argue suarez's stats were more impressive. Both of them are great players personally I feel that suarez is marginally better and by the time their careers are over suarez will be remembered as the better player if people can look past the fact that he has a few screws loose.

RVP played in a team that scored 15 more goals than suarez's team and he made 5 more appearances than suarez last season while returning 3 more goals. Suarez doesnt take pens and a lot of the time didnt play as the central striker so I'd argue suarez's stats were more impressive. Both of them are great players personally I feel that suarez is marginally better and by the time their careers are over suarez will be remembered as the better player if people can look past the fact that he has a few screws loose.

you have to remember that was rvp's first year with a new club, to settle in that fast and win back to back golden boot awards whilst firing an under performing team to a landslide league win. Year before was player of the year and fired an Arsenal team ( perhaps with the same ability of Liverpools last year) to 3rd, Suarez managed 7th.

That Martinez fella must not have been up to much either. And clearly then Bale is a better player than Suarez. Yep, great logic being used in this thread.

Fairly simplistic I said in the original post, of course there are players that slip through the net. Its better logic than saying rvp is better than suarez because he scored the goals that won a team a title.Two years ago most utd fans would have said rooney was better than rvp.

thats where the real world class players end up.
    twist it whatever way you want you know what I meant.

No, I used the exact words you did.
    Fairly simplistic I said in the original post, of course there are players that slip through the net. Its better logic than saying rvp is better than suarez because he scored the goals that won a team a title.Two years ago most utd fans would have said rooney was better than rvp.
    He could very well be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rooney is a better player than RVP. But RVP is a better striker but not much in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I dont agree with the whole to be the best you must play for madrid or barcalona theory. I think liverpool suits suarez down to the ground. Massive fan base, goodish team but at a level below him so that he looks like a god amongst men and they pay a decent wage.

The chances to win trophies there may be slim but in time he will stand out as one of the premierships greats.

Look at bale last year compared to this year. Ok he hasnt much game time but as he is no longer the focal point of a team he will struggle to make an impact. I think the same would happen suarez. Nothing wrong with being a big fish.

Raf32 wrote: »
    you have to remember that was rvp's first year with a new club, to settle in that fast and win back to back golden boot awards whilst firing an under performing team to a landslide league win. Year before was player of the year and fired an Arsenal team ( perhaps with the same ability of Liverpools last year) to 3rd, Suarez managed 7th.

that underperforming team had won the league two years before and were pipped to the title the year before he signed. He went to a well oiled machine that had a history of winning. Suarez's goals if he was in a utd shirt would also have fired utd to the title last year. The thread is about this season anyway and the 5 most impressive players have been ramsey, ozil,oscar, suarez and aguero.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Ramsey with 4 times the votes Aguero has is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Ramsey with 4 times the votes Aguero has is mental.

I don't think any of those votes were meant to mean anything other than "Ramsey is the player playing best at the moment". Nobody genuinely thinks he's a more accomplished player than Aguero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Raf32 wrote: »
    Mascherano > Bergkamp according to logic here so

Yob it of an oxymoron that, complaining about the logic of the real/barca argument before comparing two of the most dissimilar style of players with each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Luis Suarez really showed who was boss the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

No. It's not
    Yes. It is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No I didnt and Im pretty sure you know I didnt. To put the likes of giggs, ferdinand in the category of players I listed is laughable.

Giggs? You're talking about the most decorated player of all time, laughable?

Van persie has had one exceptional season in his career and a few other very good ones.

He's at his peak now probably. Certainly won't go down as one of the greats based on career so far.

He should have a few more years left in him yet though if he looks after himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

From that list, Daniel Sturridge.

But Simon Mignolet has a decent season as well :)

Bendtner to be prove his self proclaimed status of worlds greatest tonight :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This has gone hilariously off topic

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This has gone hilariously off topic

To be fair, the thread has been one big train wreck from the very beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

I can't believe Aguero has only 3% of the votes.

My top 3:

Ozil
    Ageuro
    Suarez

Not too many world class players in the division after that, RvP certainly but after that you'd be struggling. Toure perhaps? Rooney of about 2010 but not anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

golfball37 wrote: »
    I can't believe Aguero has only 3% of the votes.

My top 3:

Ozil
    Ageuro
    Suarez

Not too many world class players in the division after that, RvP certainly but after that you'd be struggling. Toure perhaps? Rooney of about 2010 but not anymore.

I know mate, my exact thought. I personally think Aguero is a better all round player then Suarez.

His low centre of gravity when he dips his head and runs at people, he almost goes under them. And hes almost impossible to knock off the ball. The way he can explode a shot off when under pressure and when he seems to have all his angles wrong. Suarez might have slightly closer control than Sergio, but I'd say that's the only area of his game where he edges it.

Suarez is a good player, but a different one. And I wouldn't swap him for Sergio in a month of Sundays. No way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Flat out Suarez. Sturridge lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Players in the PREMIERSHIP is the topic, not willy waving about La Liga/Serie A past and present etc.

If you now have missing posts then the clue as to why is in the thread title. Stay on topic folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The best player so far this season is Dejan Lovren.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Luis Suarez is playing fantastically well at the minute for Liverpool and if he can keep this up for the whole season will have to be a contender for Player of the Year and wouldnt that be some turnaround!

Non Liverpool - I'd vote for Ozil, he's hit the ground running and lloks like he could be massive for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Ozil on talent alone. Possibly the best player to have ever played in the Premier league, In my opinion.

Ronaldo comes close, but hes reached far greater heights for Madrid than at United.

• Advertisement
Advertisement