Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who in your opinion is the best player in the premiership right now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RossieMan wrote: »
    Ozil on talent alone. Possibly the best player to have ever played in the Premier league, In my opinion.

Ronaldo comes close, but hes reached far greater heights for Madrid than at United.
    Bizarre logic there.
    Özil's handful of games are enough to have him as the greatest player the league has seen yet Ronaldo's trophy haul, shìtload of goals, player of the year awards blah, blah, blah etc. are not because he's been better at Madrid??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RossieMan wrote: »
    Ronaldo comes close, but hes reached far greater heights for Madrid than at United.

He won the Ballon D'or and European Cup at United, not Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Bizarre logic there.
    Özil's handful of games are enough to have him as the greatest player the league has seen yet Ronaldo's trophy haul, shìtload of goals, player of the year awards blah, blah, blah etc. are not because he's been better at Madrid??

Agreed. Absolutely stupid logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Edit: Debate your pov, and try to back it up with the reasons you think are valid, but any further references of "fanboys" or the like will be taken as deliberate baiting, and will see mod action taken.
    Any questions on this can be pm'd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I hate the little tramp but Suarez for me. Odious man, incredible footballer.

Anyone voting Sturridge needs their head read. Slightly above average player - no better.

DeanAustin wrote: »

Anyone voting Sturridge needs their head read. Slightly above average player - no better.

Sturridge has 21 goals in 27 starts afaik since joining Liverpool.

Above average indeed, a nothing player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No doubting Sturridge's quality at this point, he's great.

Nowhere near the best player in the league mind, there's at least 4 strikers ahead of him in Suarez, Rooney, RVP and Aguero.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sturridge has 21 goals in 27 starts afaik since joining Liverpool.

Above average indeed, a nothing player!

Yeah because "nothing player" was what I said. In my view, he's above average, how does that equate to nothing player?

Football is littered with players who have had a spell of scoring lots of goals but aren't top class. Think Marcus Stewart or Kevin Phillips for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No doubting Sturridge's quality at this point, he's great.

Nowhere near the best player in the league mind, there's at least 4 strikers ahead of him in Suarez, Rooney, RVP and Aguero.

No shame there either.

He has surpassed all my expectations and is quite honestly, having a Torres like impact for us since he joined. Think his record is even better than when Nando first came to the league.

He may fade in and out of games, like Torres often did, but right now it can't be argued that he's in flying form.

A years time and we'll be much better placed to judge him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Toss up between Suarez and Lukaku

I went with Luis and it killed me as a United fan to admit it, but hes just amazingly talented.

Lukaku? Come on :pac:

The question is right now! Right now hes in flying form! He is an amazing talent who will only get better.

Yeah because "nothing player" was what I said. In my view, he's above average, how does that equate to nothing player?

Football is littered with players who have had a spell of scoring lots of goals but aren't top class. Think Marcus Stewart or Kevin Phillips for example.

As long as he keeps up his above average performances up Liverpool fans will be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Steve sidwell is an average player so by your logic sturridge is slightly better?
    Ok cool.

Hes a striker, so long as he puts the ball in the net often then hes good to very good which is what hes doing.

As long as he keeps up his above average performances up Liverpool fans will be happy :)

Haha I agree. Any club would be happy with his current performances.

I'd be surprised if we're here in 12 months discussing Sturridge with a similar strike rate to what he has now though. That said, stranger things have happened.

klose wrote: »
    Steve sidwell is an average player so by your logic sturridge is slightly better?
    Ok cool.

Hes a striker, so long as he puts the ball in the net often then hes good to very good which is what hes doing.

Hard to know where to start with this post but I'll give it a try.

Steve Sidwell plays in midfield. Daniel Sturridge is a striker.

Personally, if I'm judging Sidwell by Premiership standards, as I've done with Sturridge, then he's below average. He's in a pretty poor Fulham side. I could pick dozens midfielders I'd have ahead of him in the Premiership if I put my mind to it.

Sturridge is in a good run of form. In my opinion, that run of form will not last. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't offer enough to be considered a great player because I don't believe that he'll keep scoring like he is scoring right now and his contribution aside from scoring goals isn't great.

Time will tell and If I'm wrong I'll admit it. But I wouldn't get carried away with his scoring record to date because, as I've said, football is littered with similar streaks from players who, ultimately, proved to be fairly average.

Ah Sturridge is playing great at the moment. I didnt rate him when he joined Liverpool and thought he would fade, but he hasn't. Hes proving me wrong.

I hate his celebration though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Pains me to say it but Suarez is just ridiculous. Followed closely by Aguero and Ozil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

CSF wrote: »
    When even the United fans aren't voting Van Persie, you know things are bad at United

not really, we have the decency to vote for other players outside of our club and i would assume most picked Ozil, as he is the best player.

unfortunately some fans cant see outside their own clubs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Worrying as a Spurs fan that we haven't got one player on that list after spending 100m+ over the summer. And we don't deserve to have one which is even more worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Between Suarez Aguero and Ozil for me.....went with Suarez

golfball37 wrote: »
    Worrying as a Spurs fan that we haven't got one player on that list after spending 100m+ over the summer. And we don't deserve to have one which is even more worrying.

Lloris is world class - best keeper in the league for me.

Aside from that, a lot of very good players but no-one in the Bale, van der Vaart, Modric category.

Could have sworn Cristian Eriksen was a Spurs player :pac:

Could have sworn Cristian Eriksen was a Spurs player :pac:

And soldado.

• Advertisement

And soldado.
    I didn't get that far down the list to find him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Ozil for me. But Suarez could overtake with him in a few weeks

Ramsey wasn't great against United and Suarez excelled this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Thread and poll became redundant a week after it was made.

Suarez only has half the games played that everyone else has and still is joint top scorer. Seems to have found another level again this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Practically a reformed character as well ;) No "diving", no moaning or waving his arms about type stuff (more annoyed with himself than anyone else), tracking back to defend. It's good to see.

Ramsey wasn't great against United and Suarez excelled this weekend.

Ah yes, player has bad game shocker. Seriously, if Kevin Nolan had scored a hat trick over the weekend, would he be the best player in the league right now? :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

OP still hasn't 100% cleared up whether he meant in regards to overall talent or form orginally, has he?

Ramsey still shades it for me this season, but Suarez is catching up big time and has certainly overhauled Sturridge for me. As Rarnes pointed out, some going doing what he is doing in the time he has done so. Kun isn't far off Ramsey neither.

Ozil, has been a bit underwhelming in recent games, that takes nothing away from his overall ability it goes without saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mike65 wrote: »
    Practically a reformed character as well ;) No "diving", no moaning or waving his arms about type stuff (more annoyed with himself than anyone else), tracking back to defend. It's good to see.

So it's ok to cheer the reformed version? ;)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    OP still hasn't 100% cleared up whether he meant in regards to overall talent or form orginally, has he?

Ramsey still shades it for me this season, but Suarez is catching up big time and has certainly overhauled Sturridge for me. As Rarnes pointed out, some going doing what he is doing in the time he has done so. Kun isn't far off Ramsey neither.

Ozil, has been a bit underwhelming in recent games, that takes nothing away from his overall ability it goes without saying

Yeah for me if it's ability, it's probably (in no order) Suarez, Ozil, Van Persie, Mata, Aguero.

On form, it's Ramsey, Suarez and Aguero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Suarez by now for me. The guy is absolutely lethal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I went for Yaya Toure, which was painful as a United fan.

I believe he is the best player currently playing in the Premier League and would love to have had him at United. Very hard worker, more talented than he is given credit for and a big part of why City will challenge again this year.

When the chips are down, in the really big games, the games that define your season. RvP is still the man I'd want on my team, followed closely by Aguero.
    Özil is the most talented, Suarez gives you everything and Ramsey you would have to say is still the man in form despite yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Suarez, hands down.
    Look what he's done already considering he missed 5/6 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Even as United fan I can admit Suarez has been unreal this season to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Im not doubting ozils quality for a moment but does anyone else think hes been a bit meh at times since signing for arsenal? In particular there last 3 games, granted they won 2 of them but he was very quiet in them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I think we'll see the best of Ozil once Walcott comes back. I think his best attribute is his ability to put people in behind defences but at the moment Arsenal don't really have anyone making those kinds of runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

klose wrote: »
    Im not doubting ozils quality for a moment but does anyone else think hes been a bit meh at times since signing for arsenal? In particular there last 3 games, granted they won 2 of them but he was very quiet in them imo.

He's still adapting to the Premier League. After the Liverpool game he tweeted something about it being like an F1 race. Despite this he still has more than his fair share of goals and assists. Yesterday he was playing with a virus and has been left out of the upcoming German internationals.

mike65 wrote: »

The 2nd half of the season last year he seemed to be reformed as regards diving and moaning. Something was obviously said behind closed doors. Obviously biting a player cancelled that out!

As we mentioned during the summer, he needs to keep his nose clean, as well as scoring goals if he has ambitions for playing for the likes of Madrid. Win win for LFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

The 2nd half of the season last year he seemed to be reformed as regards diving and moaning. Something was obviously said behind closed doors. Obviously biting a player cancelled that out!

As we mentioned during the summer, he needs to keep his nose clean, as well as scoring goals if he has ambitions for playing for the likes of Madrid. Win win for LFC.

if Suarez maintains his current form, through to next summer and has a good world cup then I think Liverpool will be looking for a Gareth Bale size fee. Hopefully those funds would be put to good use then.

Suarez is the form player in the premiership with the past 3 weeks or so. Ramsey and Barkley were the form players earlier along with Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Phil Jones at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Phil Jones at the moment

Best looking player, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

slingerz wrote: »
    if Suarez maintains his current form, through to next summer and has a good world cup then I think Liverpool will be looking for a Gareth Bale size fee. Hopefully those funds would be put to good use then.

Suarez is the form player in the premiership with the past 3 weeks or so. Ramsey and Barkley were the form players earlier along with Sturridge

Given Suarez's age and length of contract come next summer I don't think he will command a Gareth Bale size fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

1391604_10152389050246632_1957785847_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Still think he needs to figure more in the big games for Liverpool to command Gareth Bale type money. The only time I've seen him drag Liverpool to a result in a big game was in that game against Chelsea where he shouldn't really have been on the pitch after the bite and that was only a draw.

Filling your boots against the lesser teams and not being so prominent when your team really needs you was something that was levelled at Ronaldo in his first few seasons at United. He obliterated that theory though so there's no saying Suarez won't do the same.

Advertisement