Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who in your opinion is the best player in the premiership right now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yeah but surely it can be argued Suarez is in a worse team than Ronaldo was in when United were dominating in Europe so it isn't a fair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

nuxxx wrote: »
    Yeah but surely it can be argued Suarez is in a worse team than Ronaldo was in when United were dominating in Europe so it isn't a fair comparison.
    Yep, it's not a completely fair comparison but not without its merits either. Gareth Bale single handedly dragged Spurs to victories numerous times last season.
    I wasn't really comparing Ronaldo and Suarez, just that it could yet happen that Suarez does turn out to be that type of big game player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Still think he needs to figure more in the big games for Liverpool to command Gareth Bale type money. The only time I've seen him drag Liverpool to a result in a big game was in that game against Chelsea where he shouldn't really have been on the pitch after the bite and that was only a draw.

Filling your boots against the lesser teams and not being so prominent when your team really needs you was something that was levelled at Ronaldo in his first few seasons at United. He obliterated that theory though so there's no saying Suarez won't do the same.

He's scored goals against Arsenal, Utd, Everton, City, Spurs and Chelsea.

I still don't think he's worth Gareth Bale money. Neither is Bale. Only Ronaldo and Messi are in that bracket.

If he continues as he has done so far and doesn't do anything insane or stupid then he should be worth something in the 50-60m bracket.

Edit: Source for goals

Gbear wrote: »
    He's scored goals against Arsenal, Utd, Everton, City, Spurs and Chelsea.

I still don't think he's worth Gareth Bale money. Neither is Bale. Only Ronaldo and Messi are in that bracket.

If he continues as he has done so far and doesn't do anything insane or stupid then he should be worth something in the 50-60m bracket.

Edit: Source for goals
    I'm sure there's plenty of players, much lesser players than Suarez that have scored against those clubs too, your Nolans and Bents and the like (not sure if either of those did). I'm talking about really being the difference in a game. That's what propels you to those sort of figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm sure there's plenty of players, much lesser players than Suarez that have scored against those clubs too, you're Nolans and Bents and the like (not sure if either of those did). I'm talking about really being the difference in a game. That's what propels you to those sort of figures.

what about the day dirk kuyt got a hat trick against utd MOTM performance by suarez that day in possibly the worst liverpool team Ive ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm sure there's plenty of players, much lesser players than Suarez that have scored against those clubs too, you're Nolans and Bents and the like (not sure if either of those did). I'm talking about really being the difference in a game. That's what propels you to those sort of figures.

We're not talking scoring once ever against these teams. He generally scores against whoever Liverpool are playing.
    It doesn't seem to matter who they are.

Granted, he doesn't make the defence look like as much of a bunch of muppets against the better teams - he's walked through the middle of defences of the poorer teams without much hassle because they're bad at defending - but he still scores important goals one way or the other, or else provides them.

I don't see what else he could've done for Liverpool to prove he's a big game player. That we haven't won anything isn't really relevant, because he's playing in the 6th best squad and probably team in the league.

He'd need to be Messi kinds of good to propel this team to winning the top trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Suarez without a doubt.

Just my opinion of course but I think it's why Madrid chose Bale over a publicly want away Suarez who they could have gotten a lot cheaper. Maybe the biting thing went against him there too though but hard to know.

Gbear wrote: »
    We're not talking scoring once ever against these teams. He generally scores against whoever Liverpool are playing.
    It doesn't seem to matter who they are.

Granted, he doesn't make the defence look like as much of a bunch of muppets against the better teams - he's walked through the middle of defences of the poorer teams without much hassle because they're bad at defending - but he still scores important goals one way or the other, or else provides them.

I don't see what else he could've done for Liverpool to prove he's a big game player. That we haven't won anything isn't really relevant, because he's playing in the 6th best squad and probably team in the league.

He'd need to be Messi kinds of good to propel this team to winning the top trophies.

When you consider he's only here since 2011 I think he's done alright :-)

When the chips are down, in the really big games, the games that define your season. RvP is still the man I'd want on my team, followed closely by Aguero.
    Özil is the most talented, Suarez gives you everything and Ramsey you would have to say is still the man in form despite yesterday.

So if Im interpreting this correctly suarez is the 5th best player in the premiership currently?

• Advertisement

So if Im interpreting this correctly suarez is the 5th best player in the premiership currently?
    You're not interpreting it correctly at all. My point there was that there's an argument for them all, depending on your criteria.

Actually how the hell did you get that from my post?
    If I mentioned him 5th maybe I could see how :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Keeping to the rule and question being asked by the OP then its hands down Suarez.

If you are looking for a player that you would pick in your team first then yes other names (Rooney, RVP, Aguero etc) but that's a whole different debate/thread.

But I truly believe that if his current form/attitude continues for the rest of the season and into the W.C then there will be an astronomical fee being negotiated with LFC for his signing come Aug.

It will be a good opportunity for LFC to then purchase some real good replacements in critical areas.
    The only way Suarez will be still in the PL is if the rumoured new investment is true, and the club start buying some W.C talent over the next few windows whilst also in top 4 contention.

He is THAT good.

gone way off topic.

You're not interpreting it correctly at all. My point there was that there's an argument for them all, depending on your criteria.

Actually how the hell did you get that from my post?
    If I mentioned him 5th maybe I could see how :confused:

Well obviously rvp is first as thats what you said closely followed by aguero which would have to make him 2nd. The Ozil and ramsey comments seem more favourable to me plus you have made a few posts arguing against suarez so Id say its fair to assume you would rank suarez 5th. RVP was clearly the best player in the league for 18 months his last year at arsenal and his first 6 months at Utd. Since february of this year Id have to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There wasn't a huge margin between Suarez and RvP last season tbh in terms of brilliance.

Imo Suarez was better last season than this. He's only warming up now.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Suarez only has half the games played that everyone else has and still is joint top scorer. Seems to have found another level again this season.

:confused:

:)

Well obviously rvp is first as thats what you said closely followed by aguero which would have to make him 2nd. The Ozil and ramsey comments seem more favourable to me plus you have made a few posts arguing against suarez so Id say its fair to assume you would rank suarez 5th. RVP was clearly the best player in the league for 18 months his last year at arsenal and his first 6 months at Utd. Since february of this year Id have to disagree.
    Miles off. Go back and read through my posts again if you could be bothered.
    My argument about Suarez was about the price he would go for. I wasn't discounting him at all.
    And I've already chose Özil as my choice for this thread. RvP didn't get a look in.
    Don't know where you're getting all this from :confused:

When the chips are down, in the really big games, the games that define your season. RvP is still the man I'd want on my team, followed closely by Aguero.
    Özil is the most talented, Suarez gives you everything and Ramsey you would have to say is still the man in form despite yesterday.
    Miles off. Go back and read through my posts again if you could be bothered.
    My argument about Suarez was about the price he would go for. I wasn't discounting him at all.
    And I've already chose Özil as my choice for this thread. RvP didn't get a look in.
    Don't know where you're getting all this from :confused:

Fair enough if I have interpreted it wrong about suarez being 5th your post there says to me RVP is the man you would want followed by aguero. We all have our opinions thats the beauty of football.

Fair enough if I have interpreted it wrong about suarez being 5th your post there says to me RVP is the man you would want followed by aguero. We all have our opinions thats the beauty of football.
    If I'm looking for a goal in the last 10 minutes of an important game, RvP is the man I want in my frontline, Aguero next.

I can see why people would chose those 2. I can also see why they would choose Suarez and Ramsey, I chose Özil. I wasn't putting them in any particular order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    :confused:

:)

There is a few weeks between posts and he had improved since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

niallo27 wrote: »
    There is a few weeks between posts and he had improved since then.

Only 2 games, Arsenal (which obviously couldn't have changed the opinion) and Fulham

Anyway, imo it's between Ramsey, Suarez and Augero as thread title says right now. It's hard to split Augero and Suarez as they've scored the same, with Surez playing approx two games less but some of Augero's goals coming in bigger games. I'd plump for Augero if pushed as he as has CL trips to contend with. All three have excelled big time though thus far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I can't help but think Ramsey will just fade out as the season progresses, hope he proves me wrong but I've never been a big admirer of him, very slow on the ball. Don't mean to cause offence to any Arsenal supporters, hopefully he keeps firing but vs United he was probably the worst player on the pitch. Obviously if he keeps it up I`ll change my opinion of him, the lad has had bad luck with injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Even when Rooney is in poisonous form he still stacks the stats sheet. He has to help further back and be the creative hub of the team. If I'm looking for an overall player to build around it would possibly be him. Hard to say with him though as I feel he could be contributing more despite being probably United's best player this season.

Suarez and Ramsey are the form players but my interpretation of the question in the op is that if you could pick any player to play for your team right now who would it be and honestly it's tough. Suarez, Aguero, RVP, Rooney, Ramsey, Mata, Ozil and a couple of others I'm forgetting are very close to each other and I think the end of the season is the right time to make a conclusion, not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

For the first time in this poll its tied right up between Mesut Ozil and Luis Suarez.

180 votes each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I voted Ramsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I voted Hazard, for pure ability and talent he is the best, needs to start showing it more consistently though

I voted Hazard, for pure ability and talent he is the best, needs to start showing it more consistently though

Hazard? Seriously? Best in the league?

Cmon now...

No denying his talent and ability but right now he is absolutely not on the same level as Ozil, Suarez or Aguero. In time he will be, but defiantly not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hazard? Seriously? Best in the league?

Cmon now...

No denying his talent and ability but right now he is absolutely not on the same level as Ozil, Suarez or Aguero. In time he will be, but defiantly not now.

I voted on the basis of skill, talent not form, sorry :P

I voted on the basis of skill, talent not form, sorry :P

Ah you read the thread title wrong so.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hazard is a tricky player, but is he really better than any of Rooney/RVP/Suarez/Ozil/Cazorla/Mata/Aguero/Silva/Toure? I'd certainly say no, and that's based on skill as well as form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Aguero has the most natural ability for me, but Suarez for his intensity, work rate, goalscoring as well as incredible ability. Don't see how anyone else comes close tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Ramsey for me. Was going to go for Suarez but he's still diving in the box :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

And Suarez takes the lead... deservedly imo!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Ramsey for me. Was going to go for Suarez but he's still diving in the box :)

Example being?

Highly doubtful you're talking about for the national team, and while you'd have a point, in regards to this thread it's somewhat of a moot point. So I'll just assume you're talking about for club he's still diving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Aguero has the most natural ability for me, but Suarez for his intensity, work rate, goalscoring as well as incredible ability. Don't see how anyone else comes close tbh

His movement too is nuts! That run he made for the goal on saturday, it's amazing- he'd be standing up straight and next thing he just suddenly finds that half a yard or makes a perfect run into space where he can pick up a pass. As a striker that quick movement into space away from a defender is what can set you apart. The timing is crucial, and he seems to always get it spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Example being?

Highly doubtful you're talking about for the national team, and while you'd have a point, in regards to this thread it's somewhat of a moot point. So I'll just assume you're talking about for club he's still diving.

I would suggest you read title of the thread.
    Everyone Knows Suarez goes down very easily.He just gets away with it more for the national team - IMO. He's a great talent and a joy to watch but i don't like some of his play in regards to going down easily. So i picked Ramsey.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Am I being too simplistic with this?

The way I would judge the best player in the league is this.....

If I was making a world 11 and was told I could only pick one player from the premier league, who would that player be?

For me, it's Luis Suarez.

If I was making a world 11 and was told I could only pick one player from the premier league, who would that player be?

I'd have picked Ozil if that were the case, Suarez is a striker and he's not the best striker in the world, whereas there's a good case for Ozil being the best number 10 in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

RVP is the best striker in the league, Suarez is brilliant but cant help but feel he might be a big fish in a small pond at Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Raf32 wrote: »
    RVP is the best striker in the league, Suarez is brilliant but cant help but feel he might be a big fish in a small pond at Liverpool.

Big fish in a small pond is irrelevant when you are banging in the goals consistently in the league as he does. His goals to time on the pitch ratio this season are excellent and by far the best in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Benteke is better than both RVP and Suarez if you're solely using the standard of clubs to say who's better.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »

I do think Van Persie is a better striker. I wouldn't say he's a better player though.

I think Özil and Kompany would be the only 2 players in the league with any chance of getting into a world 11. Not a hope of any forwards getting a sniff IMO.

I think Özil and Kompany would be the only 2 players in the league with any chance of getting into a world 11. Not a hope of any forwards getting a sniff IMO.
    I'd give Yaya Toure a chance as well, now that the likes of Xavi are declining. You're right about the forwards, even if you were to hypothetically put Messi on the right instead of up front, the striker would probably be Zlatan.

I'd give Yaya Toure a chance as well, now that the likes of Xavi are declining.
    You still have the likes of Javi Martinez and Schweinsteiger to accommodate, I don't think there's even room for Yaya as good as he is.

You still have the likes of Javi Martinez and Schweinsteiger to accommodate, I don't think there's even room for Yaya as good as he is.

Never mind, I always seem to forget Schweinsteiger. Not a hope Yaya's better than him. I'd have him over Martinez. Few years and I reckon Toni Kroos will be there, such a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Voted for Silva. Even off form he is still the best player. The poll results are more so in replly to who hass the best form right now

evil_seed wrote: »
    Voted for Silva. Even off form he is still the best player. The poll results are more so in replly to who hass the best form right now

Silva again? There's multiple players better than him, both now and on general ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

How long a period of time do you count as form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Silva isn't even the best player at city . I would have Toure and Aguero ahead of him by a fair bit .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Silva isn't even the best player at city . I would have Toure and Aguero ahead of him by a fair bit .

Kompany too

• Advertisement
Advertisement