Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband real speed test?

• 20-10-2013 6:38pm

Hi all,

Is there any way to judge the real spped of your broadband line?

Im with UTV and just getting over 3Mps download and around 200K Upload but I would like to test to see if there are other companies out there offering faster speeds.

I know we have things such as Speedtest but that only measures my current speed, im looking for something that will tell me the true speeds I should be getting.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I hope there is but I doubt it actually exsists I doubt the companies publish their actual speeds. I would love to see something similar to the UK where providers can only advertise a speed which is realistic instead of the "upto" we still see here. Over there you can only advertise a speed that atleast 10% of customers can get. Its still not ideal but its better than the made up "upto" numbers we see that no one can ever actually get near.

If you are in Dublin I would suggest getting an eMobile/Meteor mobile and using the phone for the internet connection. When running the speed test app on my phone I get 35mb/s and even at home with my computer connected via the wireless hotspot and where its only HSDPA I get over 10mb/s which for me is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Hi. I pay for 3mbit but in tests over the past month on Ookla Speedtest I have download speeds of 1.5mb/s and upload of around 1mb/s. Am I being ripped off? There is only one provider in the area and eircom cannot do broadband here by phone (north Clare).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Log in to your router, see what speed you are synced at. If it its ~3000k, and you're not on a speed limited package from UTV, you aren't going to get better speeds by changing provider.

With DSL there is often major opportunities to improve speed by repairing/replacing internal wiring and filters.

Thanks for that but I don't suppose you can tell me how to log in to my router. I'm not the swiftest with this technology business.

There's probably basic instructions printed on the bottom of the router, and if not the username/password should be at least.

If not, find out your default gateway (start, run / search box, type in 'cmd', enter, type in 'ipconfig', enter, should be visible there under Local Area Connection or Wireless depending); it'll be four sets of numbers divided by dots. Enter that as an address on your browser.

• Advertisement

Much obliged. I'll have a go later.

Just realised you weren't the original poster - going on your post I presume you're on a wireless connection? The sync speed etc is specific to a DSL connection.

If you're on wireless, best bet is to phone the supplier and ask them to check.

Advertisement