Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upping Sticks and moving to Oz with the hubby - all advise welcome

Options
  • 20-10-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Well as the title suggests, myself and my husband have made the big decision to up sticks and try our look in Australia. After toying with the idea of getting a skilled workers visa ( I've a degree and masters that would be on the skills list) we decided teh most sensible option would be to do a WHV first to see if we can indeed stick life away from family and friends. I've never been to Australia and OH has done a 4 month holiday of a life time type thing - so this is really a trial run for us to see if indeed its all it craiced up to be.

We've our flights booked for end of Jan, our visa applied for and approved, new sim cards, bank accounts and are awaiting to set up our tax file number on arrival.

So far our plan is to fly into Sydney, stay with relatives for a few days to get over any jet lag and then do a 3-4 week holiday from Sydney to Cairns.

From other reviews I think the greyhound would prob suit us best as the micro traveler tickets are $450 and you seem to pretty much choose your route. any one any experience doing it ths way?

Basically, I'm looking for any up to date advise you guys may have? I'm excited but sooo nervous! We're both giving up our jobs, and we've a mortgage which will be largely covered by renting out the house but still we're taking a big risk.

So here I go any advise on the below would be really appreciated or anything else you think i need to know:
    - any amazing must do tours on the Sydney to Cairns trial? any experience you would def recommend? We haven't got a strict itinerary yet so def want to make the very most of it.
    For people who have down the trip what route/stops would you recommend?

- any recommendations for hostels in Sydney, along the route and Cairns would be well appreciated

- When we return back to Sydney we'll be straight into job hunting and looking for accommodation.
    Any advice on this would be great - ideally I'd like work in Pharmaceutical sales - but I'd literally take any office work admin to get me going in the mean time. any advice on good recruitment agents, the best websites to check etc. I'm hoping to register with as many agencies as possible before I go out.
    I'm really worried about not being able to find work so I'd like to be able to hit the ground running with as much knowledge as possible.

Similarly, any great areas that are affordable would be great, I know rents are very high in Sydney so any advise really may point us in the right direction. Any good websites etc to. We've been living on our own for years so I'd really hate to have to house share but if needs must then we may have to.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading:)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Why are you moving if you both have jobs?
    It is a big risk to head to Oz. No guarantees of work. What does your husband do? Cost of living in Sydney is very high and if you don't both secure jobs you will be squeezed with costs.
    Maybe secure a job before you go.
    Do you have the option of returning to your jobs in Ire if things do not work out.
    Do your research.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AMBMoran

I know it seems crazy but if we don't do it now we never will to be honest. We've talked about it for years and husband is turning 30 very soon so this really is our last chance to do the WHV to make up our minds if Austrialia is where we see ourselves based in the future. Rather than forking out the cost of the skilled visa if it turns out we'd prefer Ireland.

We do have some relatives there etc so we have some good information on how things are there etc at the minute but looking for advise from people who have done the move recently.

Hubby is getting a career break of one year (can be extended ) and can return to his job.

I suppose as the saying goes " Its better to regret doing something, than to regret never having the courage to do some thing"

Is there any chance you could get career breaks?
    If you do come home after a year what options do you have?
    I can understand wanting to give it a go but it would be good to have a fall back option.

I'd be quite hopeful to be able to return to my place of work at present, but if not we'd survive on husbsnds wages for a while until I'd pick up work, my sector hasn't been too negatively affected by the recession so I'm not worried about the "what if's" of coming home, if it happened.

Have u made the move yourself?

I did for bit but am back in Ireland.
    The conditions were just better in Ire than Oz, just when you consider everything like family and the distance, better off in Ire. Lovely place to see though but you would want to be on a good wage there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Why are you moving if you both have jobs?
    I had to laugh. People leave their own countries sometimes for adventure, you only live once etc.......

I'll probably be leaving Australia next year for another country!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I did for bit but am back in Ireland.
    The conditions were just better in Ire than Oz, just when you consider everything like family and the distance, better off in Ire. Lovely place to see though but you would want to be on a good wage there.

what conditions are better? besides your family...

catbear wrote: »
    I had to laugh. People leave their own countries sometimes for adventure, you only live once etc.......

I'll probably be leaving Australia next year for another country!

That's exactly it, you never know for sure if you don't try it yourself. Plus life is for living after all!
    Have u any advice on my mass of questions above Catbear since your currently in Oz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

I did the Sydney to Cairns trip, didn`t do the greyhound cause I ended up buying a car.

Port Stephens is great just north of Newcastle (which is just north of Sydney).. you`d find some great secluded beaches along this whole coastline.

Wasn`t a big fan of the gold coast near Brisbane myself, a bit fake or flashy or something like that., but the view from the lighthouse near Byron Bay is spectacular looking down over that long beach.

Fraser island is a great little camping trip to take, travel by 4x4 to the other side.. place feels so secluded. Keep your food safe cause the dingoes will come eat it at night.

Of course the Great Barrier reef is worth a trip for a bit of snorkeling. I never went myself but the Whitsundays are apparently spectacular.

I lived in Sydney for 4 months - great place, there are some really nice subarbs - but of course you will pay alot of money to live there.

There also some very average subarbs too when you get further from the coast.. same as any other place I guess!

As for hostels, you`ll get what you pay for I suppose. But the cheaper ones might end up more fun in a strange sort of way.

I was 22 when I went out there, wish I had done a full three months of fruit picking so I could go back .. but maybe skilled visa in future an option.

The only thing that would stop me going back is yeah family, and i`d miss the dogs. Oh an the football on the telly - (on at mad hours there).

It`s very hot over there , that will take a bit of getting used to..you would worry about drought`s in a hot country like that. But big country with relatively low population so I guess they will find water somewhere!

AMBMoran wrote: »
    That's exactly it, you never know for sure if you don't try it yourself. Plus life is for living after all!
    Have u any advice on my mass of questions above Catbear since your currently in Oz?
    Well I'm currently here just for the money, i did the tourist thing years ago. My wife and I drove from Cairns to Melbourne using relocating vehicles: http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations
    We weren't on a WHV, just passing through as part of a round the world trip. We both felt after that visit if we never saw Australia again that would be fine.

On the other hand we loved New Zealand. It's cheaper for sightseeing and activities, no where is days away. I'm hoping, if we can get the time off, to do a few months in New Zealand next year.

Although I live in Aus I wouldn't holiday here, it's too expensive. $150 a night for crappy motels in WA when you'd get a decent room in a hotel with a swimming pool in the middle of Bangkok for a week!

If you're coming all this way for adventure I'd recommend you experience some of South East Asia, we spent half a year there just touring around, spent less in that time than we did in three weeks in Australia (and we were being conservative with our cash!).

Posting this has made think about doing another few months in Laos/Cambodia!

Edit to add: I gave up a job too and I've really had a positive work experience here although it probably helps that I'm uncommitted to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

As they say, you'll never know until you go. Though living in a place can be a far different experience to holidaying in it.
    Australia has become an expensive place to live and Sydney in particular, so earning a good wage would be essential if you want to have a nice quality of life, live by the beach in your own apartment etc. The first month is usually the steepest learning curve.

Travelling to Cairns in Feb/March, hopefully you get a dry week as it's right in the thick of the wet season. The reef is closer to Port Douglas so it can be less travel time going to and fro. Cape Tribulation is a must see if you're that far north and you should consider white water rafting the Tully or Barron rivers when they're full.
    Mission Beach is nice little spot and Dunk island isn't too far from it.
    Magnetic island near Townsville is good spot to break the journey.
    Airlie beach is the stop to access the Whitsunday Islands and Whitehaven beach which is another must see.
    Rainbow beach and Fraser Island are great stops for beach 4WD and back to nature.
    Noosa, Maroochydore are nice stops on Sunshine Coast. Brisbane and then head for Byron and or Lennox Heads to chill. Gold Coast is essentially skyscraper apartments fronting onto the beach (where panel beaters from Ferntree Gully etc have their timeshares) I'd only stop there if I had to go to a theme park.
    Central Coast NSW has some lovely beaches also.

Besides that I second the opinions about SE Asia. Your money goes so far there and it's a great experience.

Weather wise you are arriving into mid summer so be prepared to feel very hot and bothered and spend a few weeks acclimatising. Wear a hat, SPF and carry water.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

Who did your book your flights etc with?

A friend just did exactly what you just did and is flying

Carlosd wrote: »
    Who did your book your flights etc with?

A friend just did exactly what you just did and is flying
    Normally when flying within Europe and Transatlantic I'd just book the best fair on the internet but because of the distance to australia I've found that using a local travel agent is easier and no more expensive, especially for booking more suitable flight times and stopovers.

There's a few threads already about which airline and routes to take. I've used Singapore and as a tall person I preferred them to Malaysian Airlines. Others pay more for the Dubai stopover but I heard it's not as comfortable for tall people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

catbear wrote: »
    using a local travel agent is easier and no more expensive,

I've used Singapore and as a tall person I preferred them to Malaysian Airlines. Others pay more for the Dubai stopover but I heard it's not as comfortable for tall people.

Travel agent ?

Internet - Webjet, or direct off the airline?

Factor in the time cost of having to trek all the way to your local flightcentre and I find it a lot less hassle to book all my flights myself.

Singapore are excellent, couldn't rate them highly enough, but they are at a slight premium, (expect an extra $150-$200pp) for London - Oz. (its worth it to have Changi as your only stopover) I just wish they flew direct to Dublin.

Malyasian airlines - They aren't bad at all, good price, decent flight, not the most legroom in the world, and exit seats at a premium. I spent a few days in KL the last time, to break the journey. Definitely worth it. More or less on a par with Etihad.

Etihad - Direct to Dublin, they quickest way back, 27 hours travelling with two short stops, also the cheapest, last time I flew with them, the flight was fine, I just hate Abu Dhabi airport is all.

As for local flights in Oz, pick the cheapest one that isn't Tiger and you'll be fine. Tiger has improved drastically since the takeover, but I still don't trust them 100%. If I wasn't in a hurry to get back, I might chance them, but Virgin are rock solid.

Travel agent ?

Internet - Webjet, or direct off the airline?

Factor in the time cost of having to trek all the way to your local flightcentre and I find it a lot less hassle to book all my flights .
    I just e-mail my travel agent in ireland, usually match or beat on line options. Haven't gone near flight centre but none of the aussie sites seem like good value.

Thanks a mil foe all the advice, esp in relayion to places to see on our trip from Sydney to Cairns. Will have to to try get a proper must see list so I can hace a look at some hostels etc.

Flying with Ethihad and just stopping in Dubai for 3 hours, cost €850

Depending how things go in Oz, Asia will definitely be part if our travel plans, either as an extended holiday if Oz is hoing well and we decide to stay for a few years or otherwise as on our route home.

A big part of deciding to go to Oz is to try get my career moving a bit quicker, don't think I'd have the same opportunities in Asia but its def on my holiday must sees

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you've flights booked for end Jan and are staying with relatives and then doing four weeks Sydney to Cairns, you're aiming for Queensland in the height of the wet season. The wet season outlook is for a drier than normal wet season (so you probably won't get rained out daily), but when it does rain, it's a torrent. Beware road closures and other impacts to your entertainment. On a magnificent, clear, sunny day with a high breeze, you might find all diving and snorkelling opportunities are ruined by zero visibility underwater, for instance.

Anyway - on your way up, if you stop in Townsville do go to Magnetic Island and look at a dive or snorkel on the wreck of the Moltke on Geoffrey Bay, and potentially take a trip to Crystal Creek at Paluma about 45 minutes north of the town.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255073-d1548972-Reviews-Paluma_and_Crystal_Creek_Rainforest-Townsville_Queensland.html

Also, if you're really bored, send me a PM and when you're in Townsville, I'll buy you and your husband a pint and you can tell me how horrified you've been by Queenslanders in general. :D

Advertisement