Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foster Dog introduction to resident dog

• 20-10-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've fostered a dog, got her on Friday evening. I'm totally smitten and want to keep her.
    So in order to do that I could do with some advice on a smooth transition.
    They've mostly been fine but had a spat last night. It obviously looked a hell of a lot worse than it was. No broken skin.
    So they are still working things out. I've been walking them on the lead together so they are walking and sniffing at the same pace to get used to each.

I read a lot in here and when I try to look stuff up invariably Cesar Milan is usually the first hit so afraid to read a lot of articles in case I pick up hints to the detriment of getting the dogs settled with each other.

So if anyone could give some sound advice or decent articles to look up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

What is your resident dog - age/sex/personality/breed?
    What is the foster dog - ditto?

The foster dog is only in the house since Friday, so its very early days for both of them - resident dog is probably wondering who the heck this new dog is, and the new dog is in a totally strange place, so both of them will be worried.
    I hope they will soon settle in together for you, and things will start to smooth out very quickly. Im sure there will be some experts along soon with lots of good advice and pointers for you. Let us know how you get on - Im hoping to foster soon so will be interested to hear your experiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Resident dog, rescue lurcher bitch 5 and a half. Quite dominant (can't think of a better word)
    Foster dog, surrendered terrier x. 3 and half. Energetic but a lot more docile and needy for attention.
    Both bitches
    They initially hit it off ok due to introduction been non stressful. Walked them aahead of each other for a bit on neutral territory with my sister taking one of the dogs. Then walked them by each other giving opportunity to sniff each other.
    Took them for a walk and all grand. Just the spat last night.
    Separated them, then once they were calm introduced them again and have been fine since. Although foster bitch was a little more clingy cos of resident.
    they seem a bit more relaxed at the moment cos I have walked them and let them have a chase round the garden with lots of puppy play stance from resident.
    Hope thats not too much blathering and makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I would invest in a crate so that when you need to leave them alone unsupervised you can put one of them into it . That way you wont be worry about them scrapping. It also allows them to get used to each other in a safe manner.

I foster greys and while I know I should be doing the introductions with my own dogs on neutral territory I just don't have time. So I bring the new dog on a lead into the garden , allow my dogs a sniff and put the new one in a crate. Again all the dogs can sniff each other but no harm can come to them. If I didn't have a crate I couldn't foster as I couldnt leave the dogs alone wondering if all was ok. I've only ever had a problem with one foster so system is working well for me.

Its normal for them to have some spats so keep an eye on them when feeding, playing with toys and make sure to have plenty of beds available so they are not both going for the same one. Good luck with it Im sure it will be fine in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I could have written your post a couple of years ago!

Had a resident dog and fostered one who I instantly fell for and wanted to keep (and have!), introduced on neutral ground etc etc, all fine until one night she hopped off her end of the sofa and walked over to him, nose to nose, he was fast asleep then within a nano second it was a fight, pulled them apart, looked worse than it was, no skin broken or blood etc but I was very upset, kept them apart for the night, I remember posting on here, it was a Friday night and I was so upset but got such good advice, in summary it was just one of those things, like a brother and sister fight and not to make a big deal out of it, next morning they had a sniff of each other, were a bit wary (that could have been in my head tho!) and were fine after that, almost 3 years later I'm happy to say it's never happened since, but I totally understand how you feel I know I was more upset than they were, dogs don't hold grudges!

Now, my resident dog is a neutered male and foster (now resident!) is a female, I think with 2 females it can be a little bit trickier but the key is not to panic and think 'that's it, it's all over they'll never get on', it's very very early days yet and I'm sure it will work out fine and you will get great advice on here for sure!

ETA - I crated the 'foster' for the first 5/6 weeks at night time and also when we went out

Advertisement