Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking potato waffles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I also like mine in a sandwich - with batch bread, real butter and loads of salt

/drools

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tried them in the toaster, don't like 'em that way.
    Perfect grilled, til they're nice and golden brown..on the dark side, with a bit of salt and then cut each "window" out and eat each window one by one.

Had them most days as a kid..usually with a grilled pizza, remember those?
    Soft based cheese and tomato pizzas, in a red plastic bag that tied at the top (10 in a bag) and you grilled them for about ten minutes.
    Ah childhood dinners!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheBoyler78

I'm getting hungry now reading this thread. 2 waffles with a fried egg, bacon and red sauce sandwiched together - yumm. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

fussyonion wrote: »
    Perfect grilled, til they're nice and golden brown..on the dark side, with a bit of salt and then cut each "window" out and eat each window one by one.

Soft based cheese and tomato pizzas, in a red plastic bag that tied at the top (10 in a bag) and you grilled them for about ten minutes.
    Ah childhood dinners!

Jesus I LOVED those pizzas!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Ah childhood dinners!

Jeez serious health food in your house so! Who needs veg and nutrients when you have carbs and processed crap?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jeez serious health food in your house so! Who needs veg and nutrients when you have carbs and processed crap?!

Nobody cared about that kind of stuff in the 80s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Ah childhood dinners!

LOVED those pizzas! Used to get the ham and mushroom ones as a treat on a Friday. Afraid to try them now in case they taste awful and I ruin a childhood memory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those stacks of 10 pizzas are still around.

I remember getting our first microwave and doing them in them, and having to let them go luke warm before I was allowed eat them -since microwaved food would cook your insides -FACT! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Ah childhood dinners!
    Digs wrote: »
    Jesus I LOVED those pizzas!!!

I used to love them as well! I actually had them a few years ago and they were still tasty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Faith wrote: »
    Nobody cared about that kind of stuff in the 80s!

We had a lot of stodgy carb meals too as not a single one of us (bar my little sister, the lick :) ) would touch a vegetable that wasn't sweetcorn. Very fond memories of those little pizzas and managed to avoid scurvy somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Where can you get them?? My Mam was a bit of a health nut so only got them when she was away and dad was in charge but now I'm the Mam I get to eat what I want :D

Wouldn't mind a trip down memory lane! My husband was saying how much he loved them too, he got them all the time though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Listen here, we DID have nutritious meals..my mother cooked us home-made meals with lean meat and veg ALL the time, but we also had days when had waffles and those little pizzas.

I never said it was the only thing I ate, and you must remember..I grew up in the nineties..there was no Jamie Oliver preaching to the masses about what to eat.

There was no daily bulletin about chocolate/Coke/alcohol/ciggies/fruit/veg/chemicals being bad for you, like there is nowadays.
    Back then kids ate processed food regularly BUT kids also played outside from morning til night and we were never overweight.

What have you got now?
    Kids who are force-fed broccoli and never allowed to have a bag of crisps because their yummy Mummy has bought every single book Jamie Oliver has ever written.

You also have kids going to McDonald's not once a week, but several times a week.

Kids eat much more junk food nowadays; big Subway rolls, big bags of chips, potato wedges on breadrolls, and they don't burn those calories off...they sit at home and play Halo or Call of Duty.

So if being a kid in the 90's meant eating grilled pizzas and waffles, and staying out until it got dark, burning off calories as we played, then I wish I was a kid in the 90s again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I totally agree, fussyonion, it was the same story with my kids. I cooked wholesome food and also gave them pizzas etc. They were active and healthy and never overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've never ever had potato waffles, until this thread popped up. Went to get a box of Birdseye PW, had it with leftover bolognese I made the night before. Not bad. I tried the toaster method and it turned out ok. Maybe nicer in an oven grill but I can't use it when the kids are around as they are quite low and easy or them to reach.

Advertisement