Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from NYC to Washington DC-Advice?

Options
  • 20-10-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

We're going to be in NYC next week and plan on getting a bus to DC on Tuesday evening.

We are wondering what is the best company to use?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

Not sure about a bus, but can highly recommend the acela express train from penn station, quite expensive, though will have you there in less than three hours, arriving much more refreshed than the bus trip....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Thanks,

Are there restrictions on how much luggage you can bring with you on the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

there are a few options for busses from NYC to DC

one is bolt bus https://www.boltbus.com

another is megabus http://megabus.com

then you have the chineese bus http://www.dragondeluxe.com

then of course greyhound bold and megabus are good id not do greyhound again as it stops too many places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Guest0000 wrote: »
    Not sure about a bus, but can highly recommend the acela express train from penn station, quite expensive, though will have you there in less than three hours, arriving much more refreshed than the bus trip....

Agreed - lovely and quick and some of the carriages are 'Quiet Cars' which makes reading/working really pleasant. Gets into Union Station in DC which is handy enough too. Never noticed a luggage restriction - but I've only done this route a few times with 1 large suitcase plus hand-baggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

+1 to taking the Acella express train too,we did that last year from Penn station,comfy,quick and no traffic.
    We got the tickets online from Ireland and printed them up for travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Even the regular Amtrak train wouldn't be too bad and about 1/2 the cost of tha Acela

Amtrak also has quiet car

You don't even need to pro t tickets any more-They can scan the code on your iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I've made that trip twice with DC2NY and have no complaints. Decent legroom, wireless, power spots and free water.

http://www.dc2ny.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I use Megabus pretty often for various trips from NY. Pretty cheap (really cheap if you book far enough in advance). New location blocks behind Penn St is a pain to walk too to with luggage - but the service is pretty good (though wifi on the bus can be erratic).

Acela is cool but but not as fast as expected as they are not allowed floor it in urban areas ... so passage though NJ and NYC is the same as the regular train.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I'd definitely price everything out before you make a decision. Boltbus and Megabus can have Ryanair-style offers where you could get a ticket for about $7 (if you book far enough in advance) while Amtrak/Acela could cost you well over $100. Try to avoid rush hour if you use a bus, which is not an issue with the trains.

Hi guys, ended up going with Bolt in the end, got to DC in 3hrs 45mins. No problems at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

could I please ask how much did you pay. we might do something similar in next summer

could I please ask how much did you pay. we might do something similar in next summer

No problem, it was $76 return which worked out at €56.44 return for 2 of us.
    We had plenty of legroom and to be honest I didn't feel the time passing at all.

I'd thoroughly recommend DC for a couple of days, try to get a tour of the Capitol if you can.

The Air and Space Museum and American History Museum were class too.

We even got to see Moneygall's favourite son speeding through the streets in his motorcade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

I'd thoroughly recommend DC for a couple of days, try to get a tour of the Capitol if you can.

The Air and Space Museum and American History Museum were class too.

Glad you had fun - museums are AMAZING there, and I love how most are located around the mall within walking distance of each other.

Advertisement