Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making mistakes new job.

Options
  • 20-10-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job about 1.5 months ago. It is only a fast food service job and although easy, it is a lot more stressful than people think. I was trained to an ok standard but there are a lot of things they were 'too busy' to show me. Obviously it is 70% common sense, but that doesn't always prevail when you don't go by (sometimes unnecessary) step by step procedures.

Anyway, I have picked everything up pretty well, but there are tiny things I havent really picked up yet. I have been cooking, cleaning, serving customers on the till, delivering food in the outside window and the front counter at the same time. I was trained in all the above within my first week, shown everything once and it was pretty ok.

The problem is this; I began doing things as I was trained by one manager, then another manager will change shift and scream at me for not doing it a certain way. I will say ok I was trained to it is X way, so which way should I actually do it ? Then vice versa will happen the next day and it keeps going..... The majority of managers are either young and not very serious about their job, so create a kinf of clique with their friends which I don't fit into or they have been working there a long time and care, but want everything perfect straight away. I don't undermine managers, I can take criticism but if it is truly not my fault, I have spoke up.

It seems like at times, if I ask a manager for help they huff and act as if it is a nuisance, yet if I go ahead and act on common sense without their advice, it is't good enough.

I know I am lucky to have a job, and am glad after looking for nearly a year. Im not taking it for granted, but would like some tips to deal with this. I want to save money to go to college, and it is min. wage which isn't much, but a lot better than social welfare.

I know it's probably normal to not fit in much at a new job, there are a lot of different staff and it is shift work, but it seems they will love you one day, and the next you're the devil for asking their help with something. How should I deal with this? Should I feel bad that I am still making little mistakes (never serious, just pretty things such as forgetting a customers drink and having to deliver it to them, which I will always fix before being told anyway but they pretty much act as if you're too stupid to know these things) or is it normal even after a month an a half?

I know I am probably overthinking a mundane job but I hate being the one making silly mistakes as I feel like everyone hates me for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fast food chain, or a small mom & pops setup? If the latter, not sure, but if the former, there should be a manual somewhere that you read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

OP I felt like this at my old job! I felt like I was "the girl", the one that always needs help and makes mistakes, but I also felt like you that I was being told different things by different managers so I never knew what each one expected- although it seemed I was always wrong no matter what. Like you I felt that I hadn't been trained fully but as it transpired alot of it is stuff that crops up as it happens and you learn as you go rather than get straight up training.

Also, small things, lets say for example changing til roll, ask another member of staff rather than a manager. Obvious example there but you get where I'm coming from! Managers have sooo much to deal with and have staff members come to them for all sorts of things so if a more experienced staff member can help you ask them first so as not to heap more pressure on managers.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh, people don't think about you half as much as you do! They may seem a little pissed off at that moment in time but its probably just the pressure at that time tbh. But if you do feel its more than that maybe just apologize and remind them you're new and appreciate the help because once you learn it you'll know it next time. If you genuinely feel you need more training ask for it! They want good staff so they should train you properly.

Congratulations on the job and stick with it you'll find your feet . Also don't say its "only" a fast food job- its new to you and therefore an understandable challenge, everyone else has been there- including the managers! Everyone is the new person making mistakes and learning at one stage.

Oh and I ended up staying in that job for years and eventually training new people in, its just an adjustment period!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Any form of retail and catering will involve shouting, tension and stress but in reality they shouldn't. The trouble is that with high unemployment and lots of competition for scarce jobs management think they can get away with bullying people and shouting at them. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it until you get the qualifications, experience and knowledge in a key specific area, preferably in a heavily unionised and strategically important area of work where your input is needed badly by management.

When you can hit back with withdrawal of services or choose who you can work for, minimising work done for awkward and difficult people then you have no choice but to take a certain amount of abuse.

By discussion with colleagues etc. try and identify consistently abusive managers. Build up a written case of episodes of abuse with witnesses if possible. Get your hands on any existing manuals and read them thoroughly to be sure of your expectations. Try and get an experienced worker or friendly manager to sort out a timetable for achieving skills.

Do not underestimate the complexity and difficulties involved initially with any "entry-level" job. The reality is that increasing automation and use of information technology in every form of retail and service job means that there are no "menial" jobs left in Ireland without some form of decision making, discretion and people fronting skills ( taking abuse from customers etc) and you need to be thick skinned enough to take this. Try and "cover your ass" by finding out as much about your tasks as possible, preferably written info that you can use to challenge unfair accusations of discrepencies.
    Take ownership of your area and stock and keep an eye on how fast the other workers are working, do not be overly faster or slower than the average. Going too fast will lead to jealousies and victimisation from fellow workers, going too slow will lead to trouble from the manager.

Avoid comments or office politics like the plague, be aware of any agendas vendettas or rivalries that inevitably exist in many workplaces, especially in shrinking, job-starved Ireland, but keep any comments to yourself. Be all ears and little mouth.

Not very likely but it can happen is that the "angry" manager picking hairs may have a friend or relative in line for insertion into your job should you get fed up and leave, hence the need to be aware of agendas and vendettas in these job starved times.......

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Your replies really make sense and make me feel a little better.

It is a chain restaurant, and the 'important' managers - ie the owner etc are all so helpful and really understanding, but the more you go down the chain of command the worse people get.

There is a lot of clique behaviour with the younger managers which makes everyones day harder.

I don't even rely on managers, when I think about it I am pretty self sufficient, changing tills, dealing with angry customers, making decisions etc have all been done without them!!! The only thing I really need them for is certain money transactions (which policy dictates they need to oversee) and other things like that, where they HAVE to be there, refunds etc. Yet it is still like a dirty look and a huff, as if I am interrupting their day.

Compared to the other new people, I think I am doing fine, as they don't do half of the stuff I do, but the annoying part is no one ever treats them like they should! I was on with one other new girl during a busy lunch period, and she done about as much as stocking up one cupboard and I had done the rest. The manager then came over screaming at me why one thing wasn't done, and I just said well to be honest I have been doing everything else so I haven't had a chance yet because I am doing this. The other girl was standing there doing nothing, yet no one even gave out or asked her to do anything!!! When she is asked how to do something she doesn't really have a clue. Yet I am the only one the gets crap from the managers.

How is that fair?

I wouldn't mind, but I did make a few mistakes in my first few weeks, nothing major, but each and every time if they said oh whos fault is this, I would say yeah it was my fault but I'll fix it. Or I would go to them and say ok I'll be honest I messed this up, how can i fix it.

It isn't as if I have been lazy or irresponsible, quite the opposite! I rarely finish on time, if it is busy, I will keep dealing with customers until I am told otherwise.

In my opinion, that isn't bad for the first few weeks yet I still feel outcast by certain managers. Anything I DID learn, was mostly taught to me by other staff members, I got official training at the start but it was mostly things like health and safety etc, not practical day to day things. If it wasn't for some of the other staff, I would be lost.

Advertisement