Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

starting strength

• 20-10-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

can anyone explain this. is it a book to buy or what.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Book. Yes. Buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

It's a spreadsheet you can download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Terrible. Recommended by everyone with no sense of what goals a person wants. Not for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Terrible. Recommended by everyone with no sense of what goals a person wants. Not for everyone.

The coaching chapters are some of the best in text.

If someone wants good tekkers, it's a great book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

meh give me a few dumbells, that's all i need, no need for technical mumbo jumbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

meh give me a few dumbells, that's all i need, no need for technical mumbo jumbo.

Yeah technical cueing is waaaaay overrated, sure so what if the person is doing it wrong & potentially going to break themselves, let's just do this **** :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's far from terrible. It probably is over prescribed, but tbh in terms of places to start it's not going to get much better than three days a week of compound lifts that require less than an hour in the gym:

- it provides a good strength base;
    - it is simple to follow and requires relatively little investment of time;
    - it provides an introduction to basic programming and how having a plan and being consistent can allow you to progress;
    - it offers brilliant instruction on lifts that aren't thought or understood by gym instructors and are more efficient uses of time for an untrained individual than machines or isolation exercises;

Whenever it is prescribed it should come with the caveats of course:

- ignore the nutrition advice;
    - you can add bicep curls and a little cardio in at the end of each session without issue;
    - understand that after five or six months you will stall and need to switch programming;

Now, of course, you're trolling and your next post is planned to be something like 'not everyone wants to lift weights or look like a rugby player'. You might even intend to talk about 28" waists and being 19 and curls for the girls, etc.

Strength benefits everything and transfers across to all other aspects of health and fitness. Doing something like SS (or other fundamental compound lift progressive programs) along with tidying up a diet would be of great benefits to people looking to get back into shape, lose weight, etc just like doing it with a caloric surplus would be great for secondary school kids looking to build a strength base for sports (the intended market of the book).

Anyway, I typed this so you win I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

wheres the cheapest place to buy it online. any special offers with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

You're taking the piss here ?

It may not be for everyone but there are major benefits to sitting down and reading this book.

Technical mumbo jumbo !?

mengele wrote: »
    wheres the cheapest place to buy it online. any special offers with it?

The ebook on Amazon.co.uk for £7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

The ebook on Amazon.co.uk for £7

I want a hardcopy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're taking the piss here ?

It may not be for everyone but there are major benefits to sitting down and reading this book.

Technical mumbo jumbo !?

In the words of Limp Bizkit, he's "trollin' trollin' trollin'".

In the words of Limp Bizkit, he's "trollin' trollin' trollin'".

My brain told me he's trollin, but the fingers kept typing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I was going stronglifts, before fracturing my elbow and was enjoying it. Stronglifts and SS have a similar 3x compound lift model to follow. The idea of progressing each training sessions was enjoyable to me.

Advertisement