Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Try - Cloudy Beer ?

Options
  • 20-10-2013 9:26pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My first ever homebrew is an all-grain English Bitter. I followed the recipe, started with an OG of 1.37 and after 2 weeks it's at the target FG of 1.009 but the beer is still very cloudy which I have read could mean that the yeast is still active.

Do I wait until the yeast has done it's job before bottling or now that the FG is what I was aiming for (according to the recipe) should I bottle and let the yeast finish it's work and therefore the beer become more clear in the bottle ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Some yeast are just poor at settling out. The gravity is good to bottle, but give it a total of two weeks in the primary. Then I would the bottle, you can always help the yeast settle out by putting the bottles in the fridge for a few day or out side if it gives gets cold enough (after they have carbonated).

All the best

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Are you taking a sample from a tap? The beer in and around the tap is going to be a lot cloudier than the bulk of the beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

irish_goat wrote: »
    Are you taking a sample from a tap? The beer in and around the tap is going to be a lot cloudier than the bulk of the beer.

Good point! Yes I am taking it from the tap.

Advertisement