Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending wireless signal

Options
  • 20-10-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

This has probably been answeed a hundred times before but i dont know what im looking for at all.

What i want to do is fit a set of security cameras to my house that can be accessed over the net.

My problem is i want to install the system in the attic and my router is just inside the front door in a two story house.

The system im looking at will not connect wirelessly so has to be hard wired to a router is there a way of connecting one wireless router to another that would have my security system connected to.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can get this sort of thing :

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/NETGEAR-XAVB5201100UKS-500-Mbps-Powerline-Adapter-Kit/315379/7.16

they will pass the data over the mains wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

gctest50 wrote: »
    You can get this sort of thing :

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/NETGEAR-XAVB5201100UKS-500-Mbps-Powerline-Adapter-Kit/315379/7.16

they will pass the data over the mains wiring

Cheers for that i hadnt a clue if that would work or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Just to add, you can also but home plugs that have an integrated socket so as you're not "using up a socket " .. Might save you having to plug in an extension lead , which could lead to other problems ...

**also if you'r putting anything electrical or produces heat in the attic, I'd put up a smoke detector ..just to keep safe..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Kurgan wrote: »
    Just to add, you can also but home plugs that have an integrated socket so as you're not "using up a socket " .. Might save you having to plug in an extension lead , which could lead to other problems ...
    It's for more than just saving a socket. The socket on the homeplug is also filtered which means that mains borne interference generated by whatever's connected to it doesn't enter the house wiring and mess things up. Many power supplies, including ones for laptops have a habit of doing this.

Definitely worth the extra in my experience having installed a few of both types.

Advertisement