Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adjusting GWVR?

• 20-10-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Is it possible to adjust (downwards by about 400kg) a vehicle's GVWR/MAM1?

Think that a truck I am buying has a GVWR 400 kilos above my license.

If it is possible to do, who do I contact? Someone mentioned about "re-plating" but a quick google search didn't really reveal anythin useful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Anyone out there at all?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

if it's irish reg be wary , a registered truck has it's GVWR logged by revenue, an rsa officer,or traffic corps cop trained by vosa will spot any anomalies quickly,all details of vehicle history and driving licences will pop up on computer screens in their cars upon entering reg chassis no,on plate at door, or prsi no , and could cost more than upgrading your licence in event of an accident all things are checked.
    try one of the reputable body building companies they will be knowledgeable in all plating and weight related regulations . (their names can usually be seen prominently displayed on truck bodies )or rsa websites. Remember the word on the street is rsa funding will be augmented by funding from penalties next year so frequent roadside checks and driving on to public weighbridges could become a common occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

From what I am aware the only people that are allowed to do it are vehicle manufacturers. That limited it to Harris in Dublin. There was loads of down-plated Ivecos and Isuzus floating around.

The problem is, and the reason the Irish authorities are reluctant to down-plate is that Paddy will load it 'til he can't get any more in, regardless of whether it below is GVW or not.

A lot of the ones I came across were barely under the 3.5t limit and once any load was put on them they were overloaded going by the plate despite the fact they were designed for such a weight.

My 2c, do your rigid test. It will stand to you in the long run

From what I am aware the only people that are allowed to do it are vehicle manufacturers. That limited it to Harris in Dublin. There was loads of down-plated Ivecos and Isuzus floating around.

The problem is, and the reason the Irish authorities are reluctant to down-plate is that Paddy will load it 'til he can't get any more in, regardless of whether it below is GVW or not.

A lot of the ones I came across were barely under the 3.5t limit and once any load was put on them they were overloaded going by the plate despite the fact they were designed for such a weight.

My 2c, do your rigid test. It will stand to you in the long run

Yeah I think that's the conclusion I've arrived at. I pulled out of buying the truck I was going to be because it failed the DOE test 3 times, but I will still be buying a truck, either an f250 or an f350. Both of those are close to the 3.5t even unladen.

How do I go about that, is it just apply again for the theory test? Get a provisional and do lessons etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Search in the Learning to Drive forum for advice on taking a rigid test http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Thats a whole other ball game.

Because they were never designed to run under Irish road rules they will need a lot of work to get them through the DoE. I'm out of the loop the best part of 2 years but when I was testing it would have needed, weight and dimensions plate, speed limiter, tachograph etc etc.

There is a test centre near Castlebar, Molloys is the name of the spot. I know the owner to chat to, Martin is his name. He has a big yank tank like that. Maybe give him a buzz and ask him about it.

good luck with upgrading licence anyhow, I haven't driven with 3 years and from what offers ive got since i won't be rushing back for a while,margins are cut to a thread and since Im old enough to remember the eighties when fellas i knew worked their ass off trying to make a living and wrecked their trucks and health to keep going, while others parked up or sold theirs and took other jobs until things improved ,I know a few who have done same now and drive school buses things will improve so be careful with your money,

Cheers
    Not looking to drive for money, just for pleasure
    I love vintage americana especially pickups - and these trucks (especially the super duty ford diesels) tend to be well over the 3500 kg limit

well good luck to you but be careful with your selection anyway,
    regards

Advertisement