Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant - being put under pressure to resign by boss

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

€188 is the rate for full time illness benefit. She would get less than this if she is part time. Either way, pro-rata there is a good chance that she would be worse off on illness benefit for a long period than if she works. There is no need for her to feel obligated to be off sick for longer than she actually wants to just to appease her boss.

We'll have to agree to differ. I work for a small company and we couldn't function if we had sine one out several times a month, especially known that they are then going to be gone on ML.

The con

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

ted1 wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to differ. I work for a small company and we couldn't function if we had sine one out several times a month, especially known that they are then going to be gone on ML.

The con

Well then your company needs to reassess its contingency planning because although it can be inconvenient for a staff member to be indisposed for a period of time, it is a reality of life that it will happen and furthermore it is the law that you need to facilitate it. No different if a good worker got sick with cancer or another illness and needed some comprises to be made to help them out. Not having a contingency plan for long term illness or maternity leave is just lazy business operation, and not a justification for penalising women in the workplace.

Also just to add, asking a doctor to sign you off sick for longer than you genuinely need is actually asking them to participate in fraud.

Well then your company needs to reassess its contingency planning because although it can be inconvenient for a staff member to be indisposed for a period of time, it is a reality of life that it will happen and furthermore it is the law that you need to facilitate it. No different if a good worker got sick with cancer or another illness and needed some comprises to be made to help them out. Not having a contingency plan for long term illness or maternity leave is just lazy business operation, and not a justification for penalising women in the workplace.

Em read what we say, for a worker to be sick is grand take time off, but not on a regular occurrence.
    There's 5 of us. Accountant, office admin, support, engineer, sales.

So you see if one is unrealiable there of no use

How is it lazy? If there sick, we can get someone in, if someone has cancer there genreally off for a while so we can get someone in. Your logic is flawed

ted1 wrote: »

How is it lazy? If there sick, we can get someone in, if someone has cancer there genreally off for a while so we can get someone in. Your logic is flawed
    So as long as their sickness is not caused by pregnancy you can make accommodations? Good to know.

• Advertisement

So as long as their sickness is not caused by pregnancy you can make accommodations? Good to know.

No read what I say and stop being so defensive.
    If there sick there sick. The OP is taking medication and as a result she is only sick a few times a month. From a company perspective it would be much better if she took sick leave and came back when there 100% that way the company can get so e one to cover.

Look it I have 2 kids myself do have no problems with people taking time off to have babies, how ever its a two way street and they should also try to make it easy on there employer.

I am reading what you say and it's contradictory. You are advising OP to stay out sick until she is 100% - this is not going to happen for the duration of her pregnancy. She is taking medication despite preferring not to so that she can avoid hospitalisation. When she is in work she is an effective worker, despite feeling unwell and over all her work has not suffered. You are suggesting that despite her doing her best and being prepared to compromise that she should feck off on sick leave even if she isn't sick everyday, be down wages and essentially commit fraud to keep her employer happy.

If someone was ill with cancer they would not necessarily need to stay off work for weeks or months, depending on the severity of their condition they possibly might be out only for periods here and there to facilitate treatment. This is acceptable for you, but someone who values their job and is trying to continue to preform as best they can but is sick with pregnancy isn't as deserving of such accommodations.

The fact of the matter is that the employer is encouraging the OP to resign and does not seem willing to make any allowances for her condition. The compromise you suggest is for her to go out sick to keep him happy so that he can get someone else in, but to do that is walking a very fine line and is essentially encouraging fraud as OP does not need to be out sick on a long term basis. Also OP's part experience suggests that in a few months her symptoms should calm down, yet her employer wants her to resign and you want her to pretend she is sick when she isn't.

Neither your suggestion or that of her boss are legal, thank god

And just fyi I have worked in small companies also and having a small team is no excuse for not having a contingency plan in place should any employee for any reason need to call in sick. There is no reason why one employee taking a few unscheduled days off here and there should cause a company of any size to grind to a standstill. If it does then your work practices need to be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Resign. It is the most ethical thing to do. Don't be so incredibly greedy.

If you are sick, you are sick.

This man has a business to run, suppliers, customers and other staff to think about. It is not a charity.
    Your continuing of this unreasonable behaviour impacts others. You need to resign.

Focus on your pregnancy, and getting better. Best wishes and best of luck.

Wow. Just wow
    some people need to acquaint themselves with the actual definition of ethics. Never mind the law.
    This post makes me want to use words which will only get me banned
    What a horrible person you show yourself to be??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Seems like some posters might approve of the introduction of a job ban on women from their first conception, a "modern day" re working of the old marriage ban...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

None of this is helpful to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Just wanted to apologise for some of the awful views expressed by some posters here OP. I genuinely hope your situation gets better for you and you have a happy healthy little one.

Advertisement