Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 20-10-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone,

I have my Junior Cert done and was hoping to go to ICMP in London next year to do a Level 3 course in music for A Levels but can't. This is an alternative to the Leaving cert and I was wondering if there are any schools or colleges in Ireland, Republic or North, that have music courses available after the Junior Cert that are worth Leaving Cert points or UCAS points. Music is my life and my parents support me but said I either have to do the Leaving Cert or find a School in Ireland that has a course like the one in London. Anyone have some advice? And don't say "just do your leaving cert"!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Look up the Belfast Metropolitan College. Here's the link: http://www.belfastmet.ac.uk/Default.aspx

Download the prospectus and you'll find a level 2 diploma in music. There will be fees for the course, though I'm not sure how much they are. Since it's only a year long course, you will not be eligible for a grant from your local authority in Ireland, and definitely won't be eligible for funding from Northern Ireland education authority. So in order for you to attend it, you will have to finance your life in Belfast for a 9 months.

The college itself is in the centre of Belfast so is very accessible. You can find cheap accommodation in the suburbs of the city and commute in easily.

Don't just read the prospectus, give the department a call and ask questions. It's a very good institution, and should be able to help you out.:)

Advertisement