Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guest Access extending

Options
  • 20-10-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

HI

I have a netgear wndr3700V4 as my main router works good but range is not great

It is located in my office downstairs in a 2 storey home I have hardwired to the lan ports a Linksys NSLU,A VOIP phone,A Sonos Zone bridge,a WD Media player these are all located beside the router so moving all these is not an option

I frequently have guests staying and for them I have the guest network available on the Netgear which restricts them to Internet only no access to my internal lan this works but very poor connection in upstairs bedrooms

I hope someone can advise if i put an ap upstairs how can i restrict that wireless ap to internet only as it will be hardwired to lan port on my netgear router

Thanks

Mylesm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

anyone any ideas please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

A difficult one this as you're using a virtual access point for guests.
    It can be done with better equipment, but I'm not sure you budgeted for replacing the Netgear and starting from scratch.

You could add a repeater, but I'm never one to recommend this as this will half the wireless throughput of your network as it shares the frequencies with your original wireless router. You would end up with a slow and laggy network.

A better option is to cable upstairs (or use homeplugs if they are on the same circuit) and add a wireless router (on a channel well away from existing Netgear) there for guests which would keep guests in a completely different subnet to your own.

thanks smeeagain

Do you mean set the upstairs router on ip net like 192.168.2.x and the downstairs router 192.168.1.x

I tried this with an old linksys router and my netgear but when i logged onto the 192.168.2.x router and then tried to map network drive i could access the drives on the 192.168.1.x network

I must be missing something as i am not experiences in Networking

thanks

mylesm

mylesm wrote: »
    thanks smeeagain

Do you mean set the upstairs router on ip net like 192.168.2.x and the downstairs router 192.168.1.x

I tried this with an old linksys router and my netgear but when i logged onto the 192.168.2.x router and then tried to map network drive i could access the drives on the 192.168.1.x network

I must be missing something as i am not experiences in Networking

thanks

mylesm

Yes, you'd be able to map it alright, the router knows how to get to it but Windows Explorer would not automatically discover the shares as this works on layer 2 which is kept inside a subnet.

smee again wrote: »
    Yes, you'd be able to map it alright, the router knows how to get to it but Windows Explorer would not automatically discover the shares as this works on layer 2 which is kept inside a subnet.

thanks again but that doesent really give me what i need a seperate guest network i am sure a guest could also access my drives is there anyway to achieve what i want

• Advertisement

thanks again but that doesent really give me what i need a seperate guest network i am sure a guest could also access my drives is there anyway to achieve what i want

If you had a better router you could easily block access all access to your private subnet with a firewall rule blocking all access from one subnet to the other, but I doubt you can do that with the hardware you got. With a better hardware you could even create two virtual networks over the one physical network, but vlans are not beginner stuff. You are asking a difficult task with ordinary hardware. A virtual interface on a gateway router is easy, routing it to another subnet isn't.

If you had a better router you could easily block access all access to your private subnet with a firewall rule blocking all access from one subnet to the other, but I doubt you can do that with the hardware you got. With a better hardware you could even create two virtual networks over the one physical network, but vlans are not beginner stuff. You are asking a difficult task with ordinary hardware. A virtual interface on a gateway router is easy, routing it to another subnet isn't.

Ok thanks for the advise can you advise a router that may be suitable and i can try and study up on it

how about a router flashed with DDwrt i looked this up and it looks like it might potentially be able to do it but complicated to implement

thanks

mylesm

Ok thanks for the advise can you advise a router that may be suitable and i can try and study up on it

how about a router flashed with DDwrt i looked this up and it looks like it might potentially be able to do it but complicated to implement

thanks

mylesm

DD-WRT would do it, I think your router could support it

Failing that, Mikrotik would too, but a huge learning curve
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056718566

You do realise this is a very advanced task you're taking on :D
    The only help you'd be likely to get is from someone who did something similar with a similar setup

DD-WRT would do it, I think your router could support it

Failing that, Mikrotik would too, but a huge learning curve
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056718566

You do realise this is a very advanced task you're taking on :D
    The only help you'd be likely to get is from someone who did something similar with a similar setup

No i probably dont realise how advanced it is but what can i do i dont want guests to have access to my internal lan

I suppose two repeaters would be the simple way i have a linksys wrt with DD-WRT and i set it up as a repeater repeating the 2.4 ghz guest network and it works fine for browsing etc which is what most guests want so maybe a dual band router flashed with DD-WRT and set up as a dual band repeater might be the easiest way to go i know i take a hit on performance but for guests it should be o/k as you say the learning curve would be huge for me to try to go for the full solution

thanks again for your help

With repeaters the original router takes a big hit too

• Advertisement

Can you not just put a password on your shares and configure everything connecting with these credentials. Windows shares work better with a username and password

spent the day trying to work out how to password protect shares in win 8 only ended up totally confused but that sounds like a great way to do what i want lock down everything

spent the day trying to work out how to password protect shares in win 8 only ended up totally confused but that sounds like a great way to do what i want lock down everything

Just put a password on the PC in user accounts

Thanks smee again

Dont want to bother you but this is wrecking my head

I put a password on my user a/c which is also admin a/c on next start windows looks for password i enter and windows opens all good password works

now my network drives are not accessiable so i click on them and a dialog box opens asking me for network password i enter the password i used to open windows but the dialog box trys to connect but fails and says network password is incorrect

If I take the password off my user a/c and restart windows my network drives are available again with no password ???

Just letting you know

Hold on, where are the shares? I thought they were on the Windows 8 PC

oh sorry they are on a nas drive but if i password protect the pc with win 8 and try to access nas its asks for network password
    i enter the win 8 password bit no access if i take off the win 8 pc password i can access with no password

Sorry didnt realise it made a difference it was a network drive i switched off sharing for the drives in my pc so nobody can get them now but network drive still cant protect it

thanks mylesm

oh sorry they are on a nas drive but if i password protect the pc with win 8 and try to access nas its asks for network password
    i enter the win 8 password bit no access if i take off the win 8 pc password i can access with no password

Sorry didnt realise it made a difference it was a network drive i switched off sharing for the drives in my pc so nobody can get them now but network drive still cant protect it

thanks mylesm

Well then you need to set the password on the nas, not Windows

Well then you need to set the password on the nas, not Windows

ok tried that and access to nas is protected now

thanks again

mylesm

Advertisement