Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locating a grave?

• 20-10-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the best way to locate a grave? In particular, in the Armagh area. Interred in March 1888. Possibly unmarked grave? I am trying google searches but not getting anything. I know it can be done as I have heard of people in Armagh locating their ancestors unmarked graves.

Should I contact the parish and see if they could check their records?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I think that you have already answered your question. There aren't any complete online records and it'll vary from parish to parish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I recently had the good fortune to locate my Great-Grandparents grave. There was just a small stone marker and plans are now to erect a new monument.
    However the key to finding the grave was locals who made enquiries for me. The grave was from the 40's so some people still knew the location and the undertaker in my case had kept records! I think the chances of locating a grave from 1888 are very slim indeed....but you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you get nowhere with the parish, there's a handful websites with graveyards that have been survey-indexed - so only cover legible stones, varying from sites where they're transcribed from photo through to professional ones that would make more efforts to read damaged stones. The older, and poorer, a family member you're trying to find the less chance there is of the stone being present and legible though.

http://www.discovereverafter.com/graveyards has a few in Armagh

http://www.irishgraveyards.ie/locations.html is another but nothing in Armagh as yet, there's a third site I can't remember right now and there's also bits and pieces on various IGP sub-projects for each county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Does anyone know the best way to locate a grave? In particular, in the Armagh area. Interred in March 1888. Possibly unmarked grave? I am trying google searches but not getting anything. I know it can be done as I have heard of people in Armagh locating their ancestors unmarked graves.

A lot of my ancestors come from the county and I can honestly tell you the rural parish records that I have checked have little or no record of burials. The ones I've checked are all in South Armagh specifically.

On checking the IT site, Forkhill parish has 1858-1862, Lower Killeavy has the same, Derrynoose 1846-1851, Eglish 1877-1900, Drumcree 1866-1900, Seagoe 1837-1880, Shankill 1866-1881 and Newry 1818-1862. Armagh parish, within which Armagh city residents lived, has none.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/armaghrc.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Good news everyone, I have located the grave. It is in Sandy Hill graveyard, in the grounds of St Patricks RC Cathedral. The Cardinal Tomas O'Fiach library had an article which was done in the 1980s in which a local historian cleaned up each of the headstones in an effort to read their inscriptions. Each inscription was recorded, and an illustration showing the location of all the graves was included. I am absolutely delighted with the result! Hopefully this weekend I will be able to follow the map and locate this grave once and for all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

That's great news. :)

Advertisement