Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help finding laptop 400E and under

Options
  • 20-10-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Am writing this on an 8 year old, second-hand iBook G4 brought back from the grave one too many times! :D I'm not very knowledgeable in anything tech related so help would be so appreciated!

I'm looking to get a laptop for 400 euro max (incl. shipping if bought online). Cheaper would be great if I can get away with it (but I'd rather pay a bit more if actually worth it). It will be used for general internet use (incl. email, social networks, youtube), Skype, iPod, Downloading, Word and Powerpoint presentations (just creation not displaying), Netflix (so want a good sized screen :) ), listening to music, blogging incl. scanning and uploading art and some basic-ish photo editing. Mobility isn't really an issue, though of course thinner and lighter would be preferable. Warranty again isn't a big deal to me. It'd be good if it had one even if for a short time period. Obviously I'm looking at windows OS because of budget.

It'd be difficult to convince me to go for a netbook as I like having CD/DVD drive. I would be saving photos and probably music on it.. maybe under 5000 pics and 20GB music (which would eventually increase but not drastically). Good battery life would be a plus but I'd still consider alright ones.

One last condition, I really don't want to chance it and order from any sites which aren't well established and reliable. I'm aware there's various sites such as laptopdirect which have much better selection and prices but they just don't see too reliable and I'm not chancing it! :) I would actually much prefer to buy in-store but don't think there's really anywhere but Argos, Curry's, PC-World and Matlan so I've come around to the idea of ordering online.

Sorry if I seem overly fussy but thought I'd include any relevant deets! :) Thanks so much in advance, for any help.

Forgot to say, I was looking at these two from Argos: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089411.htm http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1084018/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039.htm Unfortunately most I looked at there didn't have them in-stock in my area. But any opinions on these two?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Forgot to say, I was looking at these two from Argos: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089411.htm http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1084018/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039.htm Unfortunately most I looked at there didn't have them in-stock in my area. But any opinions on these two?

Don't even think about it, both are older Celerons, one has only 2 GB RAM.

Best B&M offer at the moment would be the ASUS X501A with a Core i3 processor (probably i3-2330M), €399 @ PowerCity (twas €389 @ HN, gone up to €469 now).

The only problem, it doesn't have a DVD drive. But I'd rather get me some external drive for 20 quid (if really necessary) than being plagued by a sh*tty processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PawnShopBlues

Thanks guys. :)
    Torqay wrote: »
    Don't even think about it, both are older Celerons, one has only 2 GB RAM.

Best B&M offer at the moment would be the ASUS X501A with a Core i3 processor (probably i3-2330M), €399 @ PowerCity (twas €389 @ HN, gone up to €469 now).

The only problem, it doesn't have a DVD drive. But I'd rather get me some external drive for 20 quid (if really necessary) than being plagued by a sh*tty processor.
    Thanks for this info! Just ordered it there. :D Down another 10E now! Embarrassingly I never thought/didn't realise you could get external CD drives! Will just do that in the future.
    Thanks a bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi guys
    I was also looking at this in Asus in X502CA core i3 in Currys 389 up to today but was put off because its windows 8 without touch screen and have heard it is really hard to use without the touchscreen. Does anyone have any idea if it would be easy to use and worth buying or would it be better to go for something with windows 7. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisement