Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Market

Options
  • 21-10-2013 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,219 ✭✭✭✭

Right, to my great shame I have never bought anything yet in the market. Back in Cork since May.

Have heard so much good things about it. So what should I be getting and trying out?

Also is it true you can get some cheap stuff for dinner etc there?

I am kinda trying get back eating healthy and if market gives value I be interested in buying from there in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Why not have a ramble around with plenty to choose from breads, meat, fish veg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

dewdrop wrote: »
    Why not have a ramble around with plenty to choose from breads, meat, fish veg etc.

yupe - a ramble around is the way to go + maybe grab some lunch up stairs or on the corner where the fish markets are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can eat very cheaply from the market if you can cook. You can get lower cost cuts of meat that are not available in supermarkets. If you like to slow cook you'll be happy. Loads of butchers to choose from. I go to O'Mahonys for lamb, Bresnan's for beef and Ashley O'Neills for pork. There are cheaper places, depends if you're after pigs feet, tripe and drisheen, or beef & lamb.

Chicken thighs are super-cheap in all the poultry places.

The Seafood or chowder mix is off-cuts from fillets of fish during the day. The various fishmongers do those. I get that a lot for making fish pie, seafood pasta or chowder. Very reasonable.

I can't remember what the sausage stall is called, but they do great big sausages in raw form. Cooked ones are good too, but more expensive of course.

There are loads of spots for veg. The Farmer and McDonnells is normally where I get mine, I find the others more expensive (but they can get more exotic stuff).

Mr Bells for massive bags of rice (25kg), lentils and other dried and canned items.

The Roughty has cheap household stuff, and staples like pasta.

Iago's does fresh pizza dough (for I think 1.50 or 1euro?) for a making low-cost homemade pizza dinner, and they also do fresh ravioli.

When you want to splash out then, it's these ones:
    The olive stand has amazing olives.
    The sandwich stall has a great lemon hummus, and I really like Cork Reuben Sandwich, with spiced beef in it.
    The Pigs back and Iagos for all your fancy cheese, cured meats and pates.
    ABC for artisan breads
    Heavens cakes does really nice tarts. raspberry & white chocolate, lemon tarts.
    I think Best Meats do game (vension etc), but it's a while since I got some. Might be corrected!

The website is pretty good for an overview.
    http://www.englishmarket.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I did not find the market that attractive in price overall. Also the drudge into town and carrying heavy goods to the bus or car park was a chore in itself.

No doubt the meat, fish and poultry were first class, but I would not come into town just for that, so my experience is overall and in general, I found no price advantage, if anything the market was a little dearer overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

take a wander around. stalls are excellent and the choice is lovely.
    don't really know if it's 'cheaper' than shops, probably depends on item/amount etc.
    but small amounts of fresh produce being bought is a great way to try different meals. and most of the stallholders would be knowledgeable and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Also the drudge into town and carrying heavy goods to the bus or car park was a chore in itself.

Wheelie bag! :)

On price, it depends what you compare.

If you do a price compare on butcher 42-day aged properly hung fillet steak vs supermarket plastic packed fillet steak on it's plastic sanitary pad, the market will always be more expensive, because it's much better quality. But, you're not going to get shins of beef and the other cheaper cuts in a supermarket. That's how you do it cheaply. Also, you can haggle in the market.

Frugal market shopping is a skill that our grandparents had. It may have skipped the current generation, because in a supermarket, you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

O'Sullivans near the fountain do venison and exotic things like kangaroo and rabbit at times.

The striploins in Best Meats are melt in your mouth tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I have never found the market to be cheaper, for things like sirloin and steak mince I can get equally good quality stuff in butchers closer to home for me.
    I find the market to be a pain in you actually want to get in and just buy stuff and get out, it's a busy feckin tourist trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

pwurple wrote: »
    Wheelie bag! :)

On price, it depends what you compare.

If you do a price compare on butcher 42-day aged properly hung fillet steak vs supermarket plastic packed fillet steak on it's plastic sanitary pad, the market will always be more expensive, because it's much better quality. But, you're not going to get shins of beef and the other cheaper cuts in a supermarket. That's how you do it cheaply. Also, you can haggle in the market.

Frugal market shopping is a skill that our grandparents had. It may have skipped the current generation, because in a supermarket, you don't need it.

LOL this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

I love buying my chicken fillets there 2 large ones only 3 euro and gorgeous compare to the ones in shops packaged and yukky. get lots more meat on it as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement