Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with recording setup...

• 21-10-2013 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am looking for a setup to literally record high quality spoken audio for radio broadcast. No music or instruments involved. Something relatively affordable, if possible, about 200 euro. Would something like the m-track m-audio and a good quality microphone suit? I got the m-audio, and ended up getting a 50 euro 'high quality' microphone in Maplin, it sounded like I was trying to broadcast underwater...from my phone. Absolutely dreadful beyond belief. So that's definitely going back. Is it worth keeping the m-audio and getting a good quality microphone?

Any opinions on an option like the blue yeti usb?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

How flexible do you want the setup to be?

If you literally just want your own voice at a decent quality, the Blue Yeti is probably a solid option.

But if in the future you want to improve the sound further (better preamp, add a compressor etc), or if you want to have a 2nd guest or host, that won't be possible with the Blue Yeti.

For strictly €200, I'd stick with the M-Audio (or get something like a Focustrite Saffire 6, which arguably has the better preamp at that price range) and get yourself an AT2020 with a pop shield. At least then you have the extra channel for a guest, you can add a compressor to your chain at a later date, and you can upgrade your interface/preamp appropriately in the future.

I presume this is for podcasting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's great, thanks. Yes, ideally I'd like the option of having a guest. So maybe I can hang onto everything bar those miserable excuses for microphones I got in Maplins. It is for broadcast, just at a local radio level usually I have access to the studio in college, but I'd like a basic setup at home to mess around with as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Advertisement