Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital HDD loosing files

Options
  • 21-10-2013 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have just noticed on my western digital hardrive is loosing files,Is this common with portable HDD's
    Any suggestions for recovery software
    Cheers Vin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have just noticed on my western digital hardrive is loosing files,Is this common with portable HDD's

Absolutely not. You might want to run a surface test (HD Tune portable here).
    Any suggestions for recovery software

Recuva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭skinny90

Torqay wrote: »
    Absolutely not. You might want to run a surface test (HD Tune portable here).

Recuva.

Hi cheers for the reply,what will I gain from the test will it fix the issue il try later and see how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Hi cheers for the reply,what will I gain from the test will it fix the issue il try later and see how I get on

There is no fixing bad sectors, you'll only learn if the drive is OK or to be dumped.

And on big external drives, the test will take quite some time, could be an overnight job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have just noticed on my western digital hardrive is loosing files
    BACKUP ANYTHING IMPORTANT. This usually happens weeks/months before the drive kneels over completely. Can happen to harddrives in general.

Advertisement