Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth reporting damage to car?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,
    Early last week my partner's car received a fair amount of damage in the Dalkey car park adjacent to the church on the high street.
    They'd virtually flattened the wheel-arch and made a large dent above the handle , plus extensively scraped the lacquer off along the door/wheelarch panels.
    No note or anything. No CCTV that we're aware of. There's no possibility the other party can have not realised... Estimate from a garage to remedy came in at 800 EUR (which in itself seems a lot for a couple of panels doesn't it? It's a 2-yr old Ford C-MAX so not that common over here).
    As a Brit I'm unsure of the etiquette - I'm not going to try and claim on any insurance, is it worth reporting it to the Police? If so, where? And do I need to do it in person or over the phone? (Dun Laoghaire?).
    Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'd contact the church or call up and look at the noticeboard outside the carpark and see who is responsible and ask about CCTV all the same. Fairly ignorant of someone not to leave a note, perhaps even put a note up beside the ticket machine asking for information?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dun Laoghaire would be the correct Garda station to report it to. I doubt if you have to go in in person to report it, but am open to correction on this.

Any idea what time it happened at? If it was around a mass time, it could have been an old person who did it and possibly were unaware at the time?

If you have an idea what time it happened it might be an idea to revisit the carpark at the same time/same day for a few weeks to see if a damaged car matching your damage reappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

What's the point of reporting it to the Guards? The op said he's not going to try and claim off any insurance, as for putting up a notice or stalking the car park for damaged cars that could have possibly hit his car, what then? What proof has he to approach any one regarding the damage?
    It would be a big waste of his time.
    I have been there / done that / got the t-shirt...
    My wife's car was hit in a school carpark, my car has been hit in a superquinn carpark, it pissed both of us off, but as there were no witnesses, notes etc, there was nothing we could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

If the OP chooses to investigate further and is lucky enough to find the car who did it, then having already reported the incident to the guards may be useful in helping to persuade the offending party to pay for the repairs.

Dalkey Church car park would be different to a Super Quinn Car park IMO. Fewer people use it and more regularly. If the incident happened arround mass time, there is a good chance it was done by a regular mass goer who may not have gotten the car repaired by now.

I'm not trying to get the OPs hopes up unreasonably but I also don't think it's futile to check the car park at the same time again. I would be in a position to do so and for the chance of €800 I would spend a few hours over a couple of weeks.

If a car was found with matching damage then, I would take photos and I think the OP has a reasonable case.

Advertisement