Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good tenant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    People are often coming on here and referring to themselves as good tenants. The seem to refer to minimum standards of a tenant as being good. Just wondering what people think as of a good tenants.

Bad Tenant:
    1) Doesn't pay rent on time
    2) Damages property
    3) Doesn't keep the place clean
    4) Complains about things that can't be changed (traffic noise, bird noise etc...)
    5) Complains about things that were visible at viewing (can we have a separate shower installed)
    6) Tries to hold the LL responsible for everything from car damage to burglary

Standard tenant:
    1) Pays rent on time
    2) Informs LL of issues quickly
    3) Keeps place clean
    4) Doesn't damage anything or repairs it correctly if they do

Good Tenant:
    1) Does stuff to improve the place (LL paying costs)
    2) Calls tradesman for issues (LL paying costs)
    3) Keeps you informed of issues in the neighbourhood.
    4) Repairs minor problems with out complaint (hinge loose, door handle replacement etc...)

There is what I think of the top of my head. People who pay their rent of time seem to like to consider themselves good tenants as opposed to standard tenants. If people want to say good and bad landlord stuff start another thread and keep this on tenants.

So a good tenant does the landlords job and also takes a big chance paying for repairs and maintenance which the landlord could easily refuse to pay for later.

A good tenant makes no demands on the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But the thread is not about landlords

You are talking about customers and want to rule out discussion of the service provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So a good tenant does the landlords job and also takes a big chance paying for repairs and maintenance which the landlord could easily refuse to pay for later.

A good tenant doesn't make demands on a landlord that a normal householder would do him/herself - changing light bulbs, checking a fuse, keeping the property clean (as opposed to tidy) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

It all comes down to perspective and how you define a good and bad tenant coupled with the experience to date. I would also think that there are many different degrees of good and bad.

For example, a landlord that has experienced very bad tenants would be more inclined to consider those that fulfil their basic obligations as 'good'. Similarly, if there has been a string of model tenants then the standard of 'good' increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Open and honest communication (both ways) is the key for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Zulu wrote: »
    They asked me for a microwave, and I got them one. They broke a window and I replaced it without quibble (or deduction from deposit). I let them change the rental period and gave them a "break" from their payments in order to get their finances in order.

I didn't have to do any of that.

Am I great?
    I would say that a great landlord would have known the legal obligations of being a landlord and already have had a microwave in situ at the beginning of the tenancy (link). You do get brownie points for the other stuff though ;)

On the general topic at hand...

What makes a good tenant is the same thing that makes a good landlord - having a basic knowledge of and respect for both their own rights, obligations and reasonable expectations and those of the other party and applying these with a large dose of common sense consistently throughout a tenancy, hopefully a long-lasting one, with good communication and a willingness to work through differences if and when they do arise.

If you are reduced to making out checklists, I think you are already on the wrong path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

There is an easier solution tell them they can't dry clothes in the house.

I believe you are a LL but I find it had to believe that you have found a tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

But the thread is not about landlords

Thread thinly veiled as "i'd be an even more brilliant landlord except I have to have tenants "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Interesting question.

I agree that the basics - paying on time ,
    Keeping to the terms of the agreement and keeping the place up are expected
    Requirements for a tenant.

But, once you've had a bad tenant you really value these basics in a tenant & they become " good"!! A bad tenant is a nightmare & can make your life hell .

I would consider a good tenant one who always keeps to the terms of the lease, Is helpful & meets you halfway when there is a problem/issue, dosn't make unrealistic demands when there is an issue you are speedily working to resolve ; and who does the small stuff like washes the windows from time to time to stop the place looking like a kip, who cuts the grass occasionally in the year so you don't have to hack it down after they go, keeps the front tidy & does an occasional weed on the pathway if needed & generally gives a damn. ...the kind of tenant that might decide to have a windowbox or dry their umbrella or wellies on a mat instead of on the carpet, and who is nice to your neighbour and kind to the local little old lady next door ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

foggy_lad wrote: »

If you read the thread you would see that was already clarified. It is really simple agree the work needs to be done and let the tenant organise the tradesperson time. If you ever tried to book a tradesman and organise a time for the tenant to be there it is very difficult. They don't like it when a LL has to let in people to their homes. It is actually preferable for both parties

A good tenant would be a person that handles things that are reasonable to expect but beyond the minimum requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you read the thread you would see that was already clarified. It is really simple agree the work needs to be done and let the tenant organise the tradesperson time. If you ever tried to book a tradesman and organise a time for the tenant to be there it is very difficult. They don't like it when a LL has to let in people to their homes. It is actually preferable for both parties

Thats not what you said in the OP though; your initial post suggests that to you a good tenant is one who organizes such work themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

djimi wrote: »
    Thats not what you said in the OP though; your initial post suggests that to you a good tenant is one who organizes such work themselves.

And a landlord should never "let" themselves or anyone in to a tenants home or they are breaking the law. They also leave them and their agents open to claims of theft and other claims from the tenants

They aren't mutually exclusive. Organising the time to come down is organising the work. I give the numbers of the people to use.
    Case 1
    Tenant: Toilet is broken.
    Me: Here is the number of the plumber or if you give me a time I can get them to call down.
    Tenant: Give me the number and I'll organise the time that suits me
    Case 2
    Tenant: Something is wrong with the shower
    Me: Here is the number of the plumber or if you give me a time I can get them to call down.
    Me: Get him to ring me once he has had a look and Ill find out what is being done
    Tenant: Will it take long?
    Me : No idea it depends on what the plumber says. If it under the rent amount pay him in cash and get a receipt and it will be taken off the rent

Tenant: OK

Amazingly difficult to understand :rolleyes:

I have no idea what that last post is about, but it does not address the point that I made!

Interesting question.

I agree that the basics - paying on time ,
    Keeping to the terms of the agreement and keeping the place up are expected
    Requirements for a tenant.

But, once you've had a bad tenant you really value these basics in a tenant & they become " good"!! A bad tenant is a nightmare & can make your life hell .

I would consider a good tenant one who always keeps to the terms of the lease, Is helpful & meets you halfway when there is a problem/issue, dosn't make unrealistic demands when there is an issue you are speedily working to resolve ; and who does the small stuff like washes the windows from time to time to stop the place looking like a kip, who cuts the grass occasionally in the year so you don't have to hack it down after they go, keeps the front tidy & does an occasional weed on the pathway if needed & generally gives a damn. ...the kind of tenant that might decide to have a windowbox or dry their umbrella or wellies on a mat instead of on the carpet, and who is nice to your neighbour and kind to the local little old lady next door ...

We had a thread on here before about something similar and I raised the issue of there being no lawnmover. One landlord came back saying the tenant should supply their own. If you have a one year lease and moved from an apartment would you buy a mower? Expectations go both ways.

I have no idea what that last post is about, but it does not address the point that I made!
    What was your point then?

I explained how a tenant would organise a tradesman and payment. Your point seemed to be that they weren't organising the tradesman. What did I miss?

The posts seem to be about nit picking and trying to catch me out in some way

What you have outlined above is not a tenant organizing a tradesman; it is simply them liasing with one to sort out a time that suits both parties after the landlord has made the initial contact. From your first post you have written
    Good Tenant:
    1) Does stuff to improve the place (LL paying costs)
    2) Calls tradesman for issues (LL paying costs)

which suggests to me that you feel a "good" tenant is one who organizes the entire work themselves (ie they find the tradesman, organize a time etc). This would be above and beyond what would be expected of a tenant, and quite frankly as a tenant it would be something that I would not be entirely comfortable with (as it would leave me open to being liable for whoever I find and any issues that might arise from the work that they carry out).

The posts seem to be about nit picking and trying to catch me out in some way

Im not trying to catch you out, but you have started a thread outlining your definition of a "good" tenant, and I am just challenging some points of that definition that I dont agree with. That is the point of a discussion forum, isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

They aren't mutually exclusive. Organising the time to come down is organising the work. I give the numbers of the people to use.
    Case 1
    Case 2
    Me: Get him to ring me once he has had a look and Ill find out what is being done
    Me : No idea it depends on what the plumber says. If it under the rent amount pay him in cash and get a receipt and it will be taken off the rent

You expect your tenants to extend you a line of free credit to pay tradesmen? lol

Its not up to tenants to manage repair work on your property, that is why the tenant pays a landlord for a service. Im not going to act as an intermediary to approve costs and materials for work. Come off it.

The landlord organises the tradesman, clears times of visits with the tenant etc, its called property management. If you dont want to do it pay an agent to do it.

drumswan wrote: »
    Its not up to tenants to manage repair work on your property, that is why the tenant pays a landlord for a service. Im not going to act as an intermediary to approve costs and materials for work. Come off it.

The landlord organises the tradesman, clears times of visits with the tenant etc, its called property management. If you dont want to do it pay an agent to do it.

This is the issue that I am taking with Rays definition of a good tenant. To me, what he is describing is above and beyond what a tenant should expect to do in a tenancy, and if they want to go that extra mile then fair play to them, but to me that makes them an exceptional tenant, whereas Ray seems to think that this sort of thing is what seperates a good tenant from a not good tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

When I am getting stuff repaired that require tradesmen I will always want to be in the property as I wouldn't appreciate strangers there when I am not. Therefore it makes sense to arrange the visit directly with the tradesman rather than the LL calling me, then calling the tradesman, then calling me back, then calling the tradesman back etc etc. This is just common sense lads and every other thread in this forum people will jump up and down about how the LL has no right to be in the property without the tenants permission yet you seem to want him there all the time regardless. Luckily in real life people generally are more cooperative and recognise a common sense approach to dealing with these types of issues.

Approve materials? I presume we are talking about fixing a broken boiler here or something similar rather than what kind of tiles to redecorate the bathroom with?

When I am getting stuff repaired that require tradesmen I will always want to be in the property as I wouldn't appreciate strangers there when I am not. Therefore it makes sense to arrange the visit directly with the tradesman rather than the LL calling me, then calling the tradesman, then calling me back, then calling the tradesman back etc etc. This is just common sense lads and every other thread in this forum people will jump up and down about how the LL has no right to be in the property without the tenants permission yet you seem to want him there all the time regardless. Luckily in real life people generally are more cooperative and recognise a common sense approach to dealing with these types of issues.

I dont think that anyone is disputing that; certainly I agree that it is just common sense for the landlord to get the tradesman to liase with the tenant directly to organise a suitable time for work to be carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Case 1
    Case 2

If I have a problem as a tenant I like to arrange the time myself as I like to be in the apartment at the time but all payment should be between the landlord and the tradesman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I dont think that anyone is disputing that; certainly I agree that it is just common sense for the landlord to get the tradesman to liase with the tenant directly to organise a suitable time for work to be carried out.

Well either I am misunderstanding or you are because this seems to me to be exactly what Ray said.

The ll should agree the payment with the tradeperson and then pass the contact info onto the tenant to arrange a time.

Well either I am misunderstanding or you are because this seems to me to be exactly what Ray said.

That is what he said today, but that is not what he said in his initial post, or at least that is not how it reads to me, hence the reason why I questioned it.

Im not trying to catch you out, but you have started a thread outlining your definition of a "good" tenant, and I am just challenging some points of that definition that I dont agree with. That is the point of a discussion forum, isnt it?

No I see it as nit picking. You aren't challenging point you are challenging minute detail on points at every opportunity.

You made it clear how you feel about how you think of the way I get a tenant to organise a tradesman is against how you feel. Adding nothing at this point I disagree and tenants who do this are seen as doing above the standard. Hence saying they are above minimum standards. It seems reasonable to me and by these tenants.

As for the suggestion I am getting a line of credit, that is a jump as no mention of the time the rent was due.

The whole point is it is above the minimum and thus making both the LL easier but also making it easier on the tenant and tradesman. If a tenant didn't want to do it they have that option. I'll do no problem it just takes longer.

Give you an example. Ask tenant when they will be there for the tradesmen. They tell you they work during the day so won't be there. They don't want you or the tradesmen there without them.
    Fine tradesmen do not work after 6pm but will work Saturday. Tenant says they don't want them there on one of their days off. Tenant wants to get it done at night, I refuse as I am not paying extra money for night work.
    Tenant says they will take half day Friday. I arrange the appointment with the tradesman warn the tenant tradesmen rarely turn up on time due to the nature of their work.
    Tradesman arrives at 6:30pm. Tenant furious they took half day and that the tradesman is so late. Tradesman says he can't fix the problem without ordering parts and it will take two days work also. Tenants completely looses the plot and insists it should be done during the week at night. The tradesman say he isn't going to do that but can come during the day. Tenant still refuses and insists I magic the way everybody works to suit them. Taking weeks to fix a problem that could be addressed within a few days.

Similar to this has happened more than once and it is why it is better to let the tenant organise the time so they understand people aren't at their beck and call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Approve materials? I presume we are talking about fixing a broken boiler here or something similar rather than what kind of tiles to redecorate the bathroom with?
    Materials will have an effect on the final cost and the quality of the work, why should the tenant make themselves liable? Plumber uses the wrong vendor for fittings and the landlord throws a fit about the final bill, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Yes, didn't think I needed to spell that out considering the LL is agreeing to pay the costs

Exactly. And all landlords I have rented from prefer to hire tradesmen who they have hired with in the past and don't pass their info onto tenants.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Materials will have an effect on the final cost and the quality of the work, why should the tenant make themselves liable? Plumber uses the wrong vendor for fittings and the landlord throws a fit about the final bill, no thanks.

I have no idea what you are talking about then. In a real life situation the tradesman will give a price and the LL will either say to go ahead or not. I don't see where liability for the tenant comes into it. If there are issues you call back the plumber and get him rectify the matter. How would a tenant or a LL have a clue about what kind of fittings a plumber should use?? This is why you hire a tradesman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement