Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late in year for one last lawn cut?

• 21-10-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi All

Bearing in mind that we have had a very reasonable and mild past few weeks I was wondering could I give my lawn one last cut?

at a very high setting of course?

about 2 weeks ago I put out some weed and feed and it has grown since.

I know the weather today and the past couple of days has been wet but I didn't plan on picking up the clippings,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Absolutely. But try wait for a couple of dry days after the forecast downpours for this week. You could compact the soil and cause moss and other problems if you work on it while its very wet.
    If that was a standard feed and weed you used then it was probably bad timing. At this stage of the year you dont want to be encouraging growth of the grass. You can get autumn feeds which encourage root growth and it helps the grass get through the winter and take off in the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I cut my back garden on a low setting last week and its growing. going to to the last one on the front this weekend. getting the snow drops and crocuses in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

redser7 wrote: »
    Absolutely. But try wait for a couple of dry days after the forecast downpours for this week. You could compact the soil and cause moss and other problems if you work on it while its very wet.
    If that was a standard feed and weed you used then it was probably bad timing. At this stage of the year you dont want to be encouraging growth of the grass. You can get autumn feeds which encourage root growth and it helps the grass get through the winter and take off in the spring.

it was a seasonal one I believe, as I was told I probably should have had it out a few weeks previous to when I putt it out. they said though the weather was mild enough to do it. I think i would Ike to clip off a little so ill probably wait for a few days.

i have t say the grass does looks extremely green and strong at the moment around th eneighbourhood

I does indeed, been so mild and now the wet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Its still growing here :D
    I try to avoid the last cut getting hit by a frost followed by cold which can yellow the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Oldtree wrote: »
    Its still growing here :D
    I try to avoid the last cut getting hit by a frost followed by cold which can yellow the grass.

exactly that is what i am trying to avoid too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i though i had done my last cut 9 days ago, but now back to same length,
    so if the weather drys out abit another cut should be OK?, hate looking at long grass all winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Provided there is no talk of hard frost I just keep cutting as necessary (I am at the coast though). Though, ahem, looking at the present state of the lawn, that may be more of an ambition than a fact :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

Night temps looking like they'll be below zero next week (Dublin area) so a last light trim would be best.

paulbok wrote: »
    Night temps looking like they'll be below zero next week (Dublin area) so a last light trim would be best.

Where did you see that Paul?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

I have the Accuweather app and it gives a decent 15 day forecast.
    I've used it for years (and it's website) and found it as reliable as can be expected, but like any long range forecast, if it's a day I'm depending on, I'll recheck every few days.

Tomorrow night is down at 3 degs & dry so could be a bit nippy as well.

Cheers. MT Cranium hasn't mentioned a big dip yet. I suppose it's about due :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unlikely to be much frost near the coast in Dublin I think, certainly not expecting any here in Loughlinstown, perhaps a very light ground frost. My grass is still growing like mad, if there is a dry day or two it will be getting the chop again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

If needs be I'll be cutting up to Christmas. Had a customer years ago in uk that always wanted the grass done Christmas Eve to look good for the following day!

Only really hard frosts bother the cut grass. I don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

norwegian weather forecast (for dublin) is farily accurate.....better that met.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

still growin like mad here to LOL
    due a cut now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

You need to raise the mower height now and not cut to much off,just trim the grass once a week until the frost comes to encourage strong grass to help it over winter,cut it to short now and you will weaken it.
    If the grass is wet but is a dry day,run a hose pipe across the lawn to take off any settled water which will speed up the drying,try to avoid cutting it if its wet.
    You can't beat a nice lawn. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

First time posting in gardening and don't know much about it, but I do have a lawn, and I like it short and green.
    What I gather to prepare your lawn for the winter
    • Wait until its been dry for 3 days on the trot, with no expected frost
    • Trim the grass on the highest level
    • Spread Autumn Lawn preparation

When I trim, should I collect the grass too or leave the box off?
    I have some containers of "patch magic", would spreading this be the same as autumn feed, or could you recommend me one.

I've noticed some nettles appearing recently, would the Autumn lawn prep ged rid of these?

Thanks for your help

does it need autumn feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

redser7 wrote: »
    At this stage of the year you dont want to be encouraging growth of the grass. You can get autumn feeds which encourage root growth and it helps the grass get through the winter and take off in the spring.

I was reading the above post, so if it helps.....

• Advertisement

Stiil to wet for last cut, when will it stop raining!

made alot rain last nite,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

cut mine yesterday. it was a slog because it was very damp. thats the last one for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm going to try get one more cut, more so to take up the leaves.

beertons wrote: »
    I'm going to try get one more cut, more so to take up the leaves.

same here and just to even it off nice an level for the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

When the grass stops growing I'll stop cutting it.

Still haven't a chance to get out, wind and heavy rain again today.
    My lawnmower will struggle if its to damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mine needs a cut badly, been growing well for the last few weeks, but its soaking too so not sure if I'll get out to it before its too late.

Damn this mild weather:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is where you need a push mower - a light frame design doesn't get bogged down assuming the grass is not too high/wet.

Got the back garden done, the front is not too bad so might get the chance on friday if we avoid any real rain between now and then.

The heavens open up on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Managed to get it done on Tuesday. It was still soft under foot but looking at the forecast it looked like the best shot. Fingers crossed that's it for this year.

Advertisement