Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late in year for one last lawn cut?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

redser7 wrote: »
    Managed to get it done on Tuesday. It was still soft under foot but looking at the forecast it looked like the best shot. Fingers crossed that's it for this year.

Ditto.

Anyone else impressed that the badly burnt grass in the warmest summer in decades came back reasonably ok in the last few months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Yes theres been great growth all over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

After weeks of waiting for a "dry spell" I gave up and decided to do a final mow yesterday. Parts were very damp and machine kept clogging but the rest was fine.
    So glad I did because would have been impossible after the rain, hail and storms we had here today. A good cold snap would be great now to slow the growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

After eight weeks of ill health I have finally managed to get another cut in today, just waited for the frost to clear at 2.30pm and gave it a good cut, looks lovely, now the cooler weather is here it shouldn't grow much more but if needs be I'll do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

so folks, Next question is when should we restart cutting, I last cut my lawn at the end of Nov! hard to think of when Ill cut again with the recent weather. Today is really nice so it popped into my head. the bright sunshine is giving the impression of a lawn out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Personally I'm waiting another couple of weeks and then for a spell of dry weather so it's not soft underfoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

ya same here ground is very wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

so folks, Next question is when should we restart cutting, I last cut my lawn at the end of Nov! hard to think of when Ill cut again with the recent weather. Today is really nice so it popped into my head. the bright sunshine is giving the impression of a lawn out there!

I have heard before that the first cut should not be done prior to Paddy's day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

Jesus Christ, I cant believe its nearly time to get cutting the lawn again, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

The answer to when should you cut your lawn is, you cut your lawn when it needs it, there are no cutoff dates when to start and finish, just never cut off more than 1/3 third and when it's growing slowly/sporadicly like now your only objective is to lightly trim to just take off the uneven look and collect loose debris like leaves and small twigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

The answer to when should you cut your lawn is, you cut your lawn when it needs it, there are no cutoff dates when to start and finish, just never cut off more than 1/3 third and when it's growing slowly/sporadicly like now your only objective is to lightly trim to just take off the uneven look and collect loose debris like leaves and small twigs.

Couldnt agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The main problem with cutting a lawn at the moment is the underfoot conditions. Tramping over wet ground will compact the soil, starving the grass roots of oxygen and causing them to die off. The result is weeds and moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

Marhay70 wrote: »
    The main problem with cutting a lawn at the moment is the underfoot conditions. Tramping over wet ground will compact the soil, starving the grass roots of oxygen and causing them to die off. The result is weeds and moss.

Really depends how soft your ground is and how good the drainage is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

I have noticed the garden out front has gone very mossy hardly any grass there. It is a very soft ground at the best of time.

What would be best to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I always wait till april

Advertisement