Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with stinky feet!

• 21-10-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with my dog having really stinky feet. They would never smell great, but I notice that they smell worse in wet weather. They just smell really cheesy. I don't think she has an infection or anything, I mentioned it to the vet a few months back when she was in for her jabs and the vet didn't think it was anything sinister, but it's getting to the point where you can smell it in the house and as she sleeps on our bed, it can get pretty whiffy.

I was thinking of washing her feet nightly in warm water and very diluted antiseptic like Savlon. That way her feet are getting a clean and if there is an infection or something, the Savlon would help.

Does anyone know if Savlon is safe for dogs? Or can suggest a doggy safe alternative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

They just smell really cheesy. I don't think she has an infection or anything,

I think she does have an infection or something. Sounds to me like a foot fungus of some kind. Go into the pet shop and they should have a treatment for it. I assume the dog is out a lot, if its worse in wet weather. When he or she comes in, dry their feet with a towel and apply whatever you bought in the pet shop.

Also, get a new vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, sounds like something fungal to me too, much like athlete's foot in humans which I suffer from myself now and then. 'Cheesy' describes it pretty well I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks both for the replies. I was having a think and the vet I spoke to about her feet barely looked at her and I have since moved vet, so yes, I think a second opinion might be necessary. I am bringing her about something else on Wednesday, so I will mention it. To be honest, the smell hasn't been bad since she was last at the vet, it seems to have worsened over the last couple of months.

Would a pet shop sell something or is there anything I can use in the mean time? I seem to remember someone mentioning diluted white vinegar as being good?

ncmc wrote: »
    Would a pet shop sell something or is there anything I can use in the mean time? I seem to remember someone mentioning diluted white vinegar as being good?

Any decent pet shop should have something to treat it in the interim. If not just try and keep his/her feet as dry as possible. I don't know if vinegar does anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Do ask your vet again but in the meantime try a little seasalt in a bowl of warm water (normal salt will do also) and bathe the feet. Its a great natural antiseptic and great for feet fungal type problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I don't tend to trust pet shop sold medical treatments, be they wormers, flea treatment etc, so not sure that they would sell anything suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Daktarin is a gentle but effective anti-fungal cream sold over-the-counter in chemists. I've seen vets indicate it for ringworm recently, so you can use it on pets, and if it's good for ringworm I'd say there's a good chance it'll go some way towards helping with athlete's foot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

For human athletes foot, bathing in cider vinegar is meant to be brilliant, my dad swears by it. Maybe you could bathe the paws in warm salt water, dry well then apply some cider vinegar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks again for all the replies, with regards to getting something in a pet shop. I tend to agree with muddypaws, I don’t rate pet shop stuff, so think I’ll stick with the home remedies until I can get her with the vet. Thanks Sillymango, it was cider vinegar I had heard was good. Think I’ll try the salt water and the cider vinegar.

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the replies, with regards to getting something in a pet shop. I tend to agree with muddypaws, I don’t rate pet shop stuff, so think I’ll stick with the home remedies until I can get her with the vet. Thanks Sillymango, it was cider vinegar I had heard was good. Think I’ll try the salt water and the cider vinegar.

Make sure you dry her feet very well afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

syklops wrote: »
    Make sure you dry her feet very well afterwards.

You think her feet won't stink more after you wash them
    In vinegar!!!:0

Advertisement