Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonfires

Options
  • 21-10-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Are bonfires still a thing? Haven't really seen the usual kids dragging tyres and pallets around the place. Have the Gardai/communities put a stop to them?

I'd love to check one out for Hallowe'en, if there's any going up nearish the city centre.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What did they do that twitter background with? MS Paint??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Thank god. Nice to see a crackdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Hope they really are gone. No idea why anyone would want to go stand around a bunch of burning tyres with a load of drunken scumbags.

• Advertisement

Thank god. Nice to see a crackdown.
    Hope they really are gone. No idea why anyone would want to go stand around a bunch of burning tyres with a load of drunken scumbags.

Community? Tradition? Fun? They're not all scumbags. They're not all drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

yes they are though. If you want to see a bonfire go to a properly organised one in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OldBean wrote: »

I'd love to check one out for Hallowe'en, if there's any going up nearish the city centre.

There's usually a pretty big one down on Sheriff Street bridge ~ but bring your riot gear!.

yes they are though. If you want to see a bonfire go to a properly organised one in the area.

That's exactly what I want to go see, but that's also what appears to have been banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

That's exactly what I want to go see, but that's also what appears to have been banned.

you op suggests you were referring to the un supervised ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No idea why anyone would want to go stand around a bunch of burning tyres with a load of drunken scumbags.

Wouldn't do it these days but it was great fun when younger.

I usually bring the kids down to one in Tallaght as there's none in the area I live in now. I'll believe it when I see it that they'll manage to stop every bonfire in Dublin on the night.

Are bonfires still a thing? Haven't really seen the usual kids dragging tyres and pallets around the place. Have the Gardai/communities put a stop to them?

Oh they are still at it. Just hang around near anywhere with tyres and pallets long enough and you will see them come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

There's been a good few test mini bonfires up near me over the past few weeks in Drumalee Park in Dublin 7. I'd say there's a good chance they'll have one on Hallowe'en.

Might not be the traditional family values bonfire you're looking for though.

In fact I'd almost guarantee it won't be if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ah, the days of stockpiling wood in the local green, only for it to be gone the next day, then having to gather up more wood again, hide it in a different place, only for that to be fecking gone again, ad finitum until the actual day was upon us. Sure that was half the fun of course, we hid it, they'd find it..

If I didn't no better, they had some lads constantly patrol that green, doing little else but look for wood. It was a mighty hard thing, to keep it up, but once we got it up and in full swing, it was a beautiful, beautiful thing.
    :)

Advertisement