Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is 85% attendence in college?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Stupid question but I am sh*t with calculation. Thing is I know it is only the start but I missed a few lectures already. Some I had no choice but to miss because I was thinking of transfering at first at the start (but now I decided to stay) so I had to miss a couple of lectures to talk to people about transfering, because there was no other good time and others were spent trying to finish CAs. I am not used to these long lectures (some can last 2hours straight) or how we finish the day really late. So over all I missed 10-11 lectures. I had planned not to miss anymore, but now I am missing a whole day's worth because I am ill today.
    So now I am beginning to freak out because i don't want to get kicked out and I did not want to be missing this much lectures already. So how many missed lectures is 15%? Or what is 85% in general when it comes to attending lectures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How many hours of lectures are you scheduled per week?
    How many weeks a year are there scheduled lectures?
    How many hours have you missed in total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

Thoie wrote: »
    How many hours of lectures are you scheduled per week?
    How many weeks a year are there scheduled lectures?
    How many hours have you missed in total?

21 hours per week
    39 weeks in the year
    About 14 hours I think (including today)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

21 hours per week
    39 weeks in the year
    About 14 hours I think (including today)

21 hours of lectures for 39 weeks is 819 hours of lectures. 1% of that is 8.19 hours, which means 15% is 122.85 hours.

So, if you miss 122.85 hours of lectures and attend all others, you will have an 85% attendance record, assuming the information you provided is correct and is consistent over the whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You've missed nearly 2% of the entire college year so far :
    14/(21 x 39) = 0.017 = 1.7%

If we say you've been at college for 4 weeks, then you've missed
    14/(21*4) = 0.1666 = 16% of the time so far.

85% of 21 hours per week is about 18 hours per week that you need to attend (though obviously you should try to attend all of them). Talk to whoever is in charge of your course when you're better, and explain why you've missed lectures so far, and ask if there's something you should do if you miss future lectures (doctor's notes, etc).

As an aside, you should take some time to practise doing calculations like these. No matter what you're studying, percentages are something that you'll need at various times during your life.

I think you are ok at the moment OP but are you sure there are 39 weeks in your academic year? It seems like a lot. A typical academic year has 26 or 28 weeks of lectures - are you including exam time and holidays?

As said above if you are concerned talk to your lecturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jb08668

It means in General that you can take only 1.5 days of leave of absence in a month, that practically make that you need to be present for at-least 28.5 days in school for a month till the end.

Advertisement