Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of the biscuit cakes...

Options
  • 21-10-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Making a wedding cake for a friend and one tier will be biscuit cake... Now I've a few different biscuit cake recipes but can't decide which to use for this cake..

Option 1
    Is more like tiffin, it uses cocoa, eggs and sugar... very moist and amazing... most likely not suitable for a cake because it's gooey... just said I'd mention it anyway

Option 2
    Condensed milk & melted chocolate

Option 3
    The melted chocolate, butter & golden syrup variety..

I like adding extras like marshmallows, drizzle of caramel through the mixture, or honeycomb/maltesers... I tend to avoid raisins and nuts since so many tend to dislike them.

So bakers... what extras (if any) would you think are most popular, and in terms of type of chocolate... do we prefer milk or dark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I make a malteser cake (with golden syrup, butter, cocoa, digestives, maltesers) that always seems to go down a bomb - most people who've tasted it prefer it to anything else like that that I make. It's possible though that everything else I make is crap, and this is just the best of a bad lot ;)

I'd definitely stay away from nuts at the very least - personally I don't like them, but some people are actively allergic. I'm not mad gone on raisins either, but I've never heard of anyone having a life threatening raisin allergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've made a few biscuit cakes for people lately. I used to always make the condensed milk, chocolate and butter receipe but I think that might be a bit soft for a structured cake like a wedding cake that I'm guessing will be covered with fondant.
    So for the ones i was covering I made it using golden syrup, butter and choc. I'm not a fan of all dark chocolate in them - I used a mixture of around 35%, 53% and 65% - I think about 40%,40% and 20% in that order.

I put in some crunchies, maltesers, chomp bars, and fudge. nom nom. If you could get mini rolos they might be nice in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

If you could get the Tipperary Kitchen (google them :) ) chocolate biscuit cake recipe...holy jaysis. Om to the nom nom.

Joking aside, they use really good quality Belgian chocolate. They do milk and dark versions, but I like milk chocolate better myself. I would say no matter what recipe you use, use the best quality chocolate you can source for it.

Advertisement