Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenny declares war on welfare culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ha Are you mad?
    The whole purpose of the exercise is to reduce wages, unemployment benefit, pensions, CB etc not to give tax breaks.
    IBEC and ISME will see to that with the politicians help.
    The rich must remain rich at all costs especially our costs.

... but the rich won't get any richer if we don't have any money to buy their ****...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

... but the rich won't get any richer if we don't have any money to buy their ****...

Thats it blame the rich..this is getting ridiculous...its not the rich peoples fault that people are unemployed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

fliball123 wrote: »
    Thats it blame the rich..this is getting ridiculous...its not the rich peoples fault that people are unemployed

Who do you think is at fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where are you getting this idea of "blame" from...?

I'm just stating an economic fact: the rich need people to consume if they want to get any richer. If no one has any money, no one is consuming.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Its hard to say but you cant make a statement that its all the rich peoples fault.

• Advertisement

Its hard to say but you cant make a statement that its all the rich peoples fault.

I didn't say it was all their fault.
    I said that they have to become richer because that's what happens.
    The poor suffer much more than the rich in times of recession surely.
    A 20% cut to a poor person on minimum wage has much more of a devastating effect than a 20% cut to a very rich person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I see the elderly are out protesting outside the Dail, no doubt they got there with the free travel pass and can watch themselves on the news later with the free tv license, my heart bleeds :rolleyes: as an aside, will they be refunding the fuel allowance given how mild its been so far, they were roaring for extra payments a few years ago during the cold spell...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I see the elderly are out protesting outside the Dail, no doubt they got there with the free travel pass and can watch themselves on the news later with the free tv license, my heart bleeds :rolleyes:

Fair play to them
    They put the wind up them the last time they marched.

I didn't say it was all their fault.
    I said that they have to become richer because that's what happens.
    The poor suffer much more than the rich in times of recession surely.
    A 20% cut to a poor person on minimum wage has much more of a devastating effect than a 20% cut to a very rich person.

The people in the middle are the ones to date that have been squeezed and squeezed pretty feckin hard...The problem is there is not enough money at the top end (or the rich) to cover what it is owed or to cover the deficit so unfortunately the levels of social welfare are far and away above the average accross the EU and the highest out of any country in a bailout scenario and with addtion of somewhere in the region of 200k more people signing on in the last 5 years as well as the collapse of the taxation from property sales has left no money in the kitty...So as I say the rates on dole and other areas of welfare have been pin pricked compared to the raping that has been acted on the tax payer on a middle income..

At some stage the "hit the middle" has to stop and when anomalies like the one I pointed out to that those on the dole can afford to have kids and people working cant must be corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

FTA69 wrote: »
    Insane amounts of money? The average wage for a labourer during the boom in Ireland was around €550 for a 45-50 hour week of hard bloody work
    I'm sorry if you don't agree but 30 to 40 thousand a year for unskilled labour is insanely high imo. It's pretty much twice the minimum wage.

My point is that unskilled workers not taking up what minimum wage jobs are out there isn't an issue of being lazy: it's an issue of lack of motivation (and I'd agree that there simply isn't enough employment available for all those on the welfare lines).

I'm guessing where we'd disagree is that while you'd attribute that lack of motivation being down to the minimum wage not being high enough, I'd attribute as being caused by a dysfunctional welfare system that is overly-generous for those who've been on it long-term.

• Advertisement

The people in the middle are the ones to date that have been squeezed and squeezed pretty feckin hard...The problem is there is not enough money at the top end (or the rich) to cover what it is owed or to cover the deficit so unfortunately the levels of social welfare are far and away above the average accross the EU and the highest out of any country in a bailout scenario and with addtion of somewhere in the region of 200k more people signing on in the last 5 years as well as the collapse of the taxation from property sales has left no money in the kitty...So as I say the rates on dole and other areas of welfare have been pin pricked compared to the raping that has been acted on the tax payer on a middle income..

At some stage the "hit the middle" has to stop and when anomalies like the one I pointed out to that those on the dole can afford to have kids and people working cant must be corrected.

I agree with you on most of this.
    I am a middle income worker.
    I am in favour of making people earn their dole but not in favour of cutting it anymore. They must have enough to live on.

I agree with you on most of this.
    I am a middle income worker.
    I am in favour of making people earn their dole but not in favour of cutting it anymore. They must have enough to live on.

In this country Tayto there are always options for people if they are not getting enough.. Ask yourself the question when is the last time someone in Ireland starved to death?

There has been a shift of resources that have been taken away from the middle that are currently open to those on the dole if they so choose to take them.

Now that Enda has tried to make it harder for people to remain on the dole people are moaning about it...IMO he had to do something the current 20 billion being spent on social welfare is not workable in Irelands current predicament.

In this country Tayto there are always options for people if they are not getting enough.. Ask yourself the question when is the last time someone in Ireland starved to death?

There has been a shift of resources that have been taken away from the middle that are currently open to those on the dole if they so choose to take them.

Now that Enda has tried to make it harder for people to remain on the dole people are moaning about it...IMO he had to do something the current 20 billion being spent on social welfare is not workable in Irelands current predicament.

There is a big difference in someone who was laid off after working for years and a "career dole" claimer. They cannot be treated the same way. The worker has paid towards his dole. It is shocking to hear of families who have been on the dole for generations, grandfather, son and grandsons. I know some of them that's why I think they should be made do 20 hours at least for their dole.

I would also like to see those responsible for the Banking scandal suffer too. 64/70 Billion was wasted on that scam.

There is a big difference in someone who was laid off after working for years and a "career dole" claimer. They cannot be treated the same way. The worker has paid towards his dole. It is shocking to hear of families who have been on the dole for generations, grandfather, son and grandsons. I know some of them that's why I think they should be made do 20 hours at least for their dole.

I would also like to see those responsible for the Banking scandal suffer too. 64/70 Billion was wasted on that scam.

Totally agree with you on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yes, as we dont see anyone on dole starving to death, the money must enough to live on.
    Until someone steps over a dead body in street ,then the welfare payouts will be at the fair amount...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

who_ru wrote: »
    why doesn't Edna & co focus more on reducing the crippling cost of living in Ireland rather than focusing all efforts on slashing public services across the board.
    public 'services' and government intervention are the reason for crippling cost of living

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

Totally agree with you on this

it wasnt waste. Those money paid farmers for their land, paid developers , brickman,plumbers,sparks and all the rest of (was it like 20%) employed people to build a houses, those workers in turn paid taxes, and spend money in the economy (which economy, is defferent matter). So it wasnt waste. Waste was pissing it against the wall and burning it under Spain's sun. It all your fault, not midleman's=banker's.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Yes, as we dont see anyone on dole starving to death, the money must enough to live on.
    Until someone steps over a dead body in street ,then the welfare payouts will be at the fair amount...

Well maybe we should cut the dole until we see equality for people who are working until they get the same levels of service that those on the dole are entitled to. As I say they get medical, rent, fuel, household benefits allowance, travel passes, back to school allowance all of this on top of their dole...So spare me the emotional blackmail as I pointed out..it has been a long time since anyone died of starvation in this country.

Well maybe we should cut the dole until we see equality for people who are working until they get the same levels of service that those on the dole are entitled to. As I say they get medical, rent, fuel, household benefits allowance, travel passes, back to school allowance all of this on top of their dole...So spare me the emotional blackmail as I pointed out..it has been a long time since anyone died of starvation in this country.

Did you know you can still be working, paying taxes, and still get most of the above.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Did you know you can still be working, paying taxes, and still get most of the above.

I was aware that people are entitled to FIS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you don't agree but 30 to 40 thousand a year for unskilled labour is insanely high imo. It's pretty much twice the minimum wage.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Have you ANY idea how hard these guys work? "Unskilled"?, i.e. no third level degree does not make them any less valuable. Christ, I've seen absolute morons who - inexplicably - managed to attain degree status. But who are absolutely useless in the real world.

I was aware that people are entitled to FIS

If you claim FIS, you can then claim for back to school allowance and also claim for full medical card ,but all is mean tested, but if someone is on minimum wage or even just above ,you will qualified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

100 euro in my opinion is very low for someone to be on for up to the age of 21 24. They should at least get 188 for the first six months, if no employment in six months then should be brought down to 144, if no employment in a further six months then be put down to 100. I think this would be very fair because most people in question do want to work and can take up to a year to find a job. When they turn 25 they should remain on 100 if they have never try'd to better themselves and get a job but should be boosted and to more to 144 an no more. They should get the full the 188 if they have worked

For the under 21's 144 and if no work in six months be brought down to 100 euro and no work in a year be brought down to 80.

For people over 25's depending on kids, mortgage etc it should be brought down to 144 if no work in one year. Thats the fairest way to do it in my opinion.

Its a bit all over the place but you get my drift

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

As for a grand a week I played ball with 2/3 heads who worked on building sites as laborers during the boom and they were earning more than I was and I had a degree and nearly 10 years in the IT industry, these guys were not educated but they were good at what they did and they were coming out with 800 a week with the overtime they were doing.

So what exactly?

They worked harder than you and got paid more.

Why is it that everybody with a degree,or worse an IT degree feels that the world owes them and only them a living?

People who want to work in IT do so because they want to sit at a desk all day looking at a computer screen.

They absolutely do NOT want to dig trenches or haul building blocks in the lashings of rain because they dont have the physical strength or the moral fibre for manual work...thats fair enough but don't whinge because people working harder than you are getting paid more than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

chopper6 wrote: »
    So what exactly?

Why is it that everybody with a degree,or worse an IT degree feels that the world owes them and only them a living?

People who want to work in IT do so because they want to sit at a desk all day looking at a computer screen.

They absolutely do NOT want to dig trenches or haul building blocks in the lashings of rain because they dont have the physical strength or the moral fibre for manual work...thats fair enough but don't whinge because people working harder than you are getting paid more than you.

The moral fibre for manual work...... Love it!!

mickeyk wrote: »
    The moral fibre for manual work...... Love it!!

Yup...the attitude that i'll go out and work for a living as opposed to spending half my life in Uni then looking for something behind a desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yup...the attitude that i'll go out and work for a living as opposed to spending half my life in Uni then looking for something behind a desk.

Plenty of room for both attitudes in fairness. Nothing wrong with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Give us more of your marvelous insights into the IT industry, I'm at the edge of my seat.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the government and the Irish electorate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Elephant Man from china

If this really was their attitude, why wouldn't they take a job in a shop or minimum wage factory? The reason, life on the dole and the occasional nixer allows them to sit at home all day, staring at a screen ;-)

If this really was their attitude, why wouldn't they take a job in a shop or minimum wage factory? The reason, life on the dole and the occasional nixer allows them to sit at home all day, staring at a screen ;-)

I think it would be hard to go from 800 euro a week to minimum wage though. I can see why they would take the dole instead. They become accustomed to having money. They are not going to burst a gut for minimum wage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

I think it would be hard to go from 800 euro a week to minimum wage though. I can see why they would take the dole instead. They become accustomed to having money. They are not going to burst a gut for minimum wage.

Why, do you everyone that was in the construction sector?

creep wrote: »
    Why, do you everyone that was in the construction sector?

I said "i think".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wexie wrote: »
    Give us more of your marvelous insights into the IT industry, I'm at the edge of my seat.

No one has a problem with degrees, IT, etc. It's a life choice. However, when idiotic comments like "they're only labourers" are bandied about, it demonstrates the true intelligent of those posting said comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

At the end of the day people when young made their own life choices. Most of my friends went off to do a trade as there was plenty of work and the money was earned off the bat in year 1, meanwhile I had to go to college for 5 years and work part time to keep myself ticking over. Even at that when I finished my wage after a B.Sc and M.Sc was under 20k a year and this was in the boom! Mates of mine were raking it in with their trade. Then of course the crash comes and now who is in a better position?

The thing is most of them dont like what they are doing, they only did the trade as sure the money was good and easy. Going to college took time and the rewards were a long way off. By the way none of my friends who did a trade currently lives in Ireland, most of my friends who went to college are still there. That says a lot I think. I always liked the term 'Own the future by working the present' Instant gratification is something we need to lose.

There is very little well paid work for unskilled people now, all those jobs are in the far east. So if the choice is between mucking about in Tesco for min wage or claiming the dole then I can see why people do that. It is the easy option but they are nothing more than wasters. Cut the dole and make it an incentive to work for the min wage again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

the politicians created the welfare system, not the unemployed.

Fr. Sean Healy agitated for an increase in welfare to what became over 200 euro per week late celtic tiger era, Bertie Ahern granted his wish, Bertie Ahern ramped up child benefit before each election and got re-elected 3 times in a row for his generosity by the good people of Ireland.

so all of you folk pointing the finger at the unemployed for this country's problems better think again. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

creep wrote: »
    100 euro in my opinion is very low for someone to be on for up to the age of 21 24. They should at least get 188 for the first six months, if no employment in six months then should be brought down to 144, if no employment in a further six months then be put down to 100. I think this would be very fair because most people in question do want to work and can take up to a year to find a job. When they turn 25 they should remain on 100 if they have never try'd to better themselves and get a job but should be boosted and to more to 144 an no more. They should get the full the 188 if they have worked

For the under 21's 144 and if no work in six months be brought down to 100 euro and no work in a year be brought down to 80.

For people over 25's depending on kids, mortgage etc it should be brought down to 144 if no work in one year. Thats the fairest way to do it in my opinion.

Its a bit all over the place but you get my drift

But it is Jobseekers allowance that is reduced for U-26s, not Jobseekers Benefit.

If you were earning €300 per week or over with 260 credits, you still get the full €188 rate of JSB. It is only those who haven't worked or who have run out of JSB who get the lower JSA rates.

So what exactly?

They may well have worked harder than me..I doubt it but did they work harder than any other labourer within the OCED why were they getting paid so much more than their counterparts in other countries doing a simular job?

Well if they don't want to work why should I work and be over taxed to support them sitting on their bums?

7upfree wrote: »
    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Have you ANY idea how hard these guys work? "Unskilled"?, i.e. no third level degree does not make them any less valuable. Christ, I've seen absolute morons who - inexplicably - managed to attain degree status. But who are absolutely useless in the real world.
    And if they're absolutely useless in the real world, they'll be paid accordingly.

Regardless of the physical effort involved, unskilled labour is low value precisely because anyone who's not suffering from a disability can provide it. There's no rarity in the ability to carry blocks, shovel sand or dig holes.

The more the skill level of a job increases, the rarer the ability to do it well and the higher the price the worker can command for their labours. Hence a fully qualified carpenter or architect will earn more than an unskilled labourer.
    So what exactly?

Right... so someone having the academic ability and foresight to invest their time and energy in obtaining qualifications that improve their life-long employment prospects rather than going out and providing themselves as unskilled labour are "lacking physical strength or moral fibre"?

Horse****e. I can think of a female scientist that works in a university than I can pretty much guarantee is physically stronger than either of us. If you're posting on this forum, one would have hoped you'd know enough about economics to understand that the construction industry in Ireland was utterly dysfunctional during the boom. That an unskilled labourer could earn more than someone working in a graduate position was an anomaly caused by a property bubble.

People working in IT are as diverse a group as Construction Workers btw, if not more so. Within the industry you have extremely well paid positions in software development and low paid ones doing tech support, high paid positions designing processors and low paid ones inserting them into motherboards.

Your misguided notion that only physical labour can be "hard work" is utter nonsense as well tbh. 8 hours of writing code would leave me far more drained than 8 hours lifting and carrying and you're utterly deluding yourself if you think boom-era construction workers were the only ones doing 50 hour weeks (those of us in IT are just less likely to get overtime for it since we tend to be on salary).

Of course, there are probably just as many dossers in IT as there are guys who stand around a construction site leaning on a shovels. No industry has a monopoly on work ethic and lets face it, any unsilled worker who was working in the contruction industry during the boom that has a work ethic isn't sitting on their arse drawiing the dole now. Some will still be working in the industry here, others doing so abroad, some will be providing unskilled labour in other industries (hell, I know fully qualified carpenters that are stacking shelves in retail, nevermind former labourers) or, god forbid, are back in education pursuing degrees in IT.

None of those guys are the problem though. They're either earning and paying taxes or getting themselves into a position where they'll be able to do so again in the future.

It's the ones without the work ethic who were prepared to put in a days work for two day's pay during the boom who are deluded enough to think that that's the kind of income they deserve despite having no marketable skill-set that are the problem. The people who think the rest of us owe them a living because they can't find anyone to pay them the insane rates they feel entitled to because they were able to earn them for a couple of years in a bubble economy. I'm sure there were IT workers who took a while to adjust to realistic pay levels after the .com bubble of the the 90's too btw. They were rather luckier however as even normal levels of pay for most IT work is many multiples of what one can ever expect as an unskilled worker.
    And this is exactly the problem. If they're not prepared to put the effort into the education required to develop marketable skills and aren't happy to work for minimum wage, then frankly they don't deserve welfare.

As a society, however, we don't like to let anyone starve (even if it is through their own stupidity) and since there's the likelihood they'll turn to crime in the absence of any other means of supporting themselves so we bribe them with social welfare. The trick is getting the level of this right: somewhere between the level where it's enough to feed, house and clothe someone and where it (as it currently does) makes them comfortable enough to refuse to work for a living.

• Advertisement

who_ru wrote: »
    the politicians created the welfare system, not the unemployed.

Fr. Sean Healy agitated for an increase in welfare to what became over 200 euro per week late celtic tiger era, Bertie Ahern granted his wish, Bertie Ahern ramped up child benefit before each election and got re-elected 3 times in a row for his generosity by the good people of Ireland.

so all of you folk pointing the finger at the unemployed for this country's problems better think again. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
    And no-one that's unemployed voted for Bertie Ahern or FF? :rolleyes:

7upfree wrote: »
    No one has a problem with degrees, IT, etc. It's a life choice. However, when idiotic comments like "they're only labourers" are bandied about, it demonstrates the true intelligent of those posting said comments.

Well dont put me in with that..I simply pointed out they were paid more then their OCED counterparts at the time for doing the same job..They cashed in on the boom and the insane amount of building that went on and more power to them...My problem is that they were getting so much for doing a job that in other countries they would not of earned half as much..and now they deem not worth getting out of bed for a certain amount ...Some people have a negative attitude to working for the minimum wage

wexie wrote: »

Well the prevailing attitude,at least on boards *seems* to be:

"I'm in IT...how come people in in the PS get paid more than me and i have a degree y'know".

or:

"I've got a degree in IT,why should i work in any other sector,the dole will do me and everybody else is to blame".

8 hours of writing code would leave me far more drained than 8 hours lifting and carrying

Have you ever done 8 hours of lifting and carrying?

I work in an office(mostly) now,but i worked in retail,warehousing and services for many years and i know which i thought was harder.
    and you're utterly deluding yourself if you think boom-era construction workers were the only ones doing 50 hour weeks (those of us in IT are just less likely to get overtime for it since we tend to be on salary).

What's this "boom-era" business?

There was never a boom...there was a bubble that fed into a couple of sectors but it's over now...do you think everybody in construction,building and heavy industry has since lost thier jobs?

They dfont get paid overtime either..it's a job of work..they work til it's done...as do i...working 50 hours per week(and i'm also on a salary) is no big deal anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭SupaNova2

I work in an office(mostly) now,but i worked in retail,warehousing and services for many years and i know which i thought was harder.

He wasn't talking about a run of the mill office job but that of a programmer. I've done both the lifting and the programming all day, my dads a blocklayer and I have a degree in software. I found software so much tougher that I no longer do it. Dropout rates from IT courses are the highest of any, 52 were whittled done to about 12 by the third year of my course.

Yep, my pre-professional life has a wide and varied CV. Never been afraid of hard work to pay my way. Admittedly, I've not done a huge amount of construction labouring but my experience to date has been that a day of mentally challenging work is far more exhausting than a day of physical labour.

The latter might leave you physically tired but, for me at least, mental exhaustion is far less pleasant.
    What's this "boom-era" business?

There was never a boom...there was a bubble that fed into a couple of sectors but it's over now...do you think everybody in construction,building and heavy industry has since lost thier jobs?

They dfont get paid overtime either..it's a job of work..they work til it's done...as do i...working 50 hours per week(and i'm also on a salary) is no big deal anywhere.
    Well, there was initially a boom which became a bubble but that's probably a bit anal for this conversation in fairness....

I'm well aware there's still a construction industry in Ireland (I have clients in it in fact).

I'd agree with you that a 50 hour week is nothing unusual. Looking back, it was FTA's posts that seemed to be making the inference that it was something unique to unskilled site labourers. Apologies for confusing your posts with his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

jank wrote: »
    At the end of the day people when young made their own life choices. Most of my friends went off to do a trade as there was plenty of work and the money was earned off the bat in year 1, meanwhile I had to go to college for 5 years and work part time to keep myself ticking over. Even at that when I finished my wage after a B.Sc and M.Sc was under 20k a year and this was in the boom! Mates of mine were raking it in with their trade. Then of course the crash comes and now who is in a better position?

The thing is most of them dont like what they are doing, they only did the trade as sure the money was good and easy. Going to college took time and the rewards were a long way off. By the way none of my friends who did a trade currently lives in Ireland, most of my friends who went to college are still there. That says a lot I think. I always liked the term 'Own the future by working the present' Instant gratification is something we need to lose.

There is very little well paid work for unskilled people now, all those jobs are in the far east. So if the choice is between mucking about in Tesco for min wage or claiming the dole then I can see why people do that. It is the easy option but they are nothing more than wasters. Cut the dole and make it an incentive to work for the min wage again.

It can be hard to predict the future, and a trade is a valuable thing in normal times , it just happened that too many people jumped into it in a bubble economy. It will still stand to them abroad and perhaps at home in the future.

The same happens with college degrees to a degree, in 'normal' times a nurse should walk into a job anywhere, but that's not really the case at the moment in Ireland....and if you want to be a solicitor or teacher or guard or lots of other things..it's just not happening..through no fault of the individual student. It's bad macro economic management that is the problem.

SupaNova2 wrote: »
    He wasn't talking about a run of the mill office job but that of a programmer. I've done both the lifting and the programming all day, my dads a blocklayer and I have a degree in software. I found software so much tougher that I no longer do it. Dropout rates from IT courses are the highest of any, 52 were whittled done to about 12 by the third year of my course.

The reason that dropout rates for IT courses are so high,at least in my opinion is that they are monumentally boring.

To most people computer languages are an abstract concept,being almost impossible to visualise or make sense of...if people want to pursue them or have a gift for it,good for them..it does not mean however that they're in some way superior to people with other skills or aptitudes.

My primary degree way back was in English...even in that class we had a substantial dropout rate and certain parts of the module such as Middle English and Latin would cause even the most diligent scholar to scratch thier heads...some people are good with words,some are good with numbers,some are good with thier hands...it doesnt mean that one is better than the other.

I was thinking about this thread while at work today and putting myself into the shoes of the Minister for Finance. He has a hard job trying to balance the books in fairness and it's hard to please everyone as we all feel hard done by when our finances are cut.

Much of the reason for people feeling bad is because people don't see that everyone is effected equally. They feel that the rich are getting away lightly while the poor are paying for the sins of the rich. Hard to disagree with that when you see the Medical Cards being removed from the sick, special needs, old and infirm in a willy nilly fashion.

Many of the problems arise because nobody is explaining the exact situation to those seriously effected and the media continually report that the gap between the rich and the poor is increasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭SupaNova2

The reason that dropout rates for IT courses are so high,at least in my opinion is that they are monumentally boring.

To most people computer languages are an abstract concept,being almost impossible to visualise or make sense of...if people want to pursue them or have a gift for it,good for them..it does not mean however that they're in some way superior to people with other skills or aptitudes.

For IT courses it varies, I would have classed most of it as not boring, it wasn't the reason people were dropping out of my course. You are closer when you say it requires a different mindset or skillset. A mindset that is severely underdeveloped in secondary schools where programming should start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement