Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble Shooting Water Pump + Gas

Options
  • 21-10-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm new to motorhomes having recently picked up my first.

It's a 2002 Elddis Avantgarde 100, NI Import.

The two main issues I have are gas and water.

With the Gas I had to get a new regulator to fit the Irish cyclinders. So i'm all hooked up now with the regulator and a full 6kg cylinder.

However, there's no gas going to my cooker / heater / fridge - I've done a few checks, looking for valves, trying them in different positions and nothing works. What are the most common problems in this situation - is there a master valve I should be looking out for?

On to the water, there's a 12v Whale water pump in the water tank. All the taps have microswitches. When I open the taps I can hear a click and the PUMP light comes on on my control panel but the pump itself doesn't kick in. Again, any suggestions as to what I should check? I'm just wary about messing around with water and electricity.

Any info from your own experiences that can help a newbie appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

revileandy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm new to motorhomes having recently picked up my first.

It's a 2002 Elddis Avantgarde 100, NI Import.

The two main issues I have are gas and water.

With the Gas I had to get a new regulator to fit the Irish cyclinders. So i'm all hooked up now with the regulator and a full 6kg cylinder.

However, there's no gas going to my cooker / heater / fridge - I've done a few checks, looking for valves, trying them in different positions and nothing works. What are the most common problems in this situation - is there a master valve I should be looking out for?

On to the water, there's a 12v Whale water pump in the water tank. All the taps have microswitches. When I open the taps I can hear a click and the PUMP light comes on on my control panel but the pump itself doesn't kick in. Again, any suggestions as to what I should check? I'm just wary about messing around with water and electricity.

Any info from your own experiences that can help a newbie appreciated!

At a guess you've conneced the irish gas regulator to a bulkhead regulator that won't work. For the water invest in a voltmeter that will tell you if the pump is getting voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Yeah, I'm going to pick up a multimeter on the way home.

with the gas, there was an NI cyldiner + regulator in place.

I've taken both of these out and replaced with an ROI cylinder & regulator. what are you recommending?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I would guess you had a NI cylinder and adaptor and have purchased a new regulator not an adaptor.

Can you see a bulkhead mounted regulator inside the gas cabinet? Maybe a photo?

Gas sometimes takes a short while to fill the pipes and the reg. will cut out until the pressure in the lines is correct. I'd open a few doors and windows and make sure he camper's well ventilated, disconnect the gas cylinder and reg. then open all the valves and turn on a hob so the lines are fully open then I'd blow down a hose with my mouth to ensure the flow is unrestricted..ie you haven't missed a valve somewhere. If the line is open then close the valves and turn the hobs off, re-instate the cylinder and reg, open the valves again and turn the reg. on and off ten times or so. Then hopefully the system is pressurised and you can try to ignite a hob etc.

Water: is there water in the tank? Can you hear the pump (could be a disconnected hose). Else check for 12v at pump.

RE: Water and electricity, 12volt at less than 5amps you won't even notice a shock...it's perfectly safe unless you have a pacemaker or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Gas - I'll have a look inside the cabinet again, but I'm pretty sure it's just cylinder --> regulator --> hose.

Liamalot, thanks for the suggestions - I'll run through all of those checks with the gas - see if the lines are clear etc.

With the water pump - there is water in the tank, no noise from the pump though.

I got a multimeter in B & Q this morning so I'm going to check that power is going into it.

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Assume 12V supply is turne on in the van.........the pump wont run if the power is turned off at the control panel

The other possibility is that the regulator is working as it should and you have a large gas leak...in which case you ought to be able to smell it.

If you don't find 12v at the pump it's wiring or a fuse if you do it's a dud pump.
    [Edit: ensure you have a tap turned on while you are checking for 12v....otherwise you'll have an open circuit and 0v]

Advertisement