Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance query for small business

Options
  • 21-10-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, Would anyone know if employer liability insurance is required when hiring a person for 1 or 2 hours a week to teach a course in a community centre. i.e. it's a small language school which has rented out a room there. We have public liability insurance, but question the need for employers liability. The teacher will invoice us for the hours worked, a subcontractor of sorts. Any advice would be great. Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If the teacher is a sub-contractor, then he/she should have their own insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jonodaly

Great, thanks. That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

If the teacher is a Bona Fide Sub contractor they should have their own insurance. BFSC test is 1: Own tools, 2: Invoice rather than paid a wage 3: Look after their own Taxes 4: have no master servant relationship. (i.e. they would teach what you requested but have their own notes.) .

If they do not tick one or all of the boxes they are employees and need EL insurance. For the teaching industry EL insurance is very cheap (rate of 0.05% to 0.10% of Gross salary) and an easy add on for your PL insurer.

Advertisement