Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplier won't provide a VAT Invoice

• 21-10-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on the following issue. I recently set up a small plastering business and bought material for our first contract from a supplier (who should remain nameless I suppose!)

I have repeatedly requested an invoice to claim back the VAT I was charged but I keep getting excuse after excuse. Recently he's stopped answering my telephone calls.

What's the best way to proceed? Should I get on to the revenue? Can I claim the VAT even though I haven't been able to get hold of an invoice?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Not having a VAT invoice is only an issue if Revenue inspect/audit your return, and ask to see the invoice. Even then Revenue do understand materiality, and don't tend to look for invoices for relatively small amounts. The majority of simple enquiries ask for copies of the two or three largest invoices for a period.

If you're sure you've paid VAT, then I would always tell a client to make the repayment claim, and keep records of your attempts to get the invoice.

I don't see any real benefit to be gained from telling Revenue anything now; it only weakens your position if you claim a refund of the VAT and Revenue ask questions. Do send a proper letter to the supplier asking for the invoice - that's so much better than just telephone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Johnreihill

Thanks for the advice nompere, I'll send a letter and wait a week or two for a response before I go ahead and claim the VAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

nompere wrote: »

If you're sure you've paid VAT, then I would always tell a client to make the repayment claim, and keep records of your attempts to get the invoice.

You can't be sure though, cause I guess the guy in question probably got the materials off this guy cause he was the cheapest, one way of being the cheapest is by not charging VAT. Hard to know what to do, I always look for VAT numbers from the outset, not that I check them or anything but you'll know straight away whether the guy is legit or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You cant claim back the VAT without a valid VAT invoice. If you do claim it back you are on a wing and a prayer that you will not be audited by revenue and they will not ask to see the invoice.

And if you get an revenue inspector who takes a disliking to you for some reason and the amount is big enough, you could face interest and penalties or even prosecution.

I appreciate re materiality etc but basically if you cant get a VAT invoice you suck it up and/or not do business with the supplier again.

Thats just my 2cents though.

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on the following issue. I recently set up a small plastering business and bought material for our first contract from a supplier (who should remain nameless I suppose!)

I have repeatedly requested an invoice to claim back the VAT I was charged but I keep getting excuse after excuse. Recently he's stopped answering my telephone calls.

What's the best way to proceed? Should I get on to the revenue? Can I claim the VAT even though I haven't been able to get hold of an invoice?

Thanks in advance!

Did you pay for the items by cash or cheque?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

I recently set up a small plastering business and bought material for our first contract from a supplier (who should remain nameless I suppose!)

If your business is small, are you sure you will reach the VAT registration threshold of €37,500 in your first year of trading? Should you re registered in the first place in which case you MAY not have to charge VAT to your customers?

Regards,

Chevy RV

Advertisement