Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threadneedle Road junction?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

jkforde wrote: »
    there were council engineers out today with theodolites marking the road around the junction and down to the Deane roundabout, anyone know what the plan is?

They're banning right turns from Kingston Road onto Theeadneedle Road and from Taylor's Hill into BO'D Road. It was in the paper that it will be introduced before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

I wonder how this will actually be done ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

They're banning right turns from Kingston Road onto Theeadneedle Road and from Taylor's Hill into BO'D Road. It was in the paper that it will be introduced before the end of the year.

Great that will quiet possibly mean more traffic turning left onto threadneedle road from Blackrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

3fullback wrote: »
    I wonder how this will actually be done ??

With no right turn signs and road markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

there were council engineers out today with theodolites marking the road around the junction and down to the Deane roundabout, anyone know what the plan is?

I presume they're working on the planned "improvements" to the junction of Threadneedle Road, Kingston Road and Taylor's Hill. Link below, but no drawings available online unfortunately (I wonder why that is?).

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/010813_03.html

Interesting that they should be surveying that far down Bishop O'Donnell Road. Perhaps the plans include some sort of modifications to that link. No harm either -- the stretch between the Deane roundabout and the top of Threadneedle is not conducive for cycling to school especially.

I also wonder how they are going to facilitate an exemption for cyclists from the prohibited right turn. A separate phase of the traffic signals perhaps?

JillyQ wrote: »
    Great that will quiet possibly mean more traffic turning left onto threadneedle road from Blackrock.

Why might that happen?

BTW, I can also envisage a situation in which motorists wishing to access Threadneedle Road from Kingston will turn left onto Bishop O'Donnell Road and then come back via the Deane roundabout. That would not be a good outcome, as it would exacerbate the existing congestion and take even more space away from children travelling to school on foot or by bike.

• Advertisement

How would it take space away from pedestrians? And why should cyclists be exempt from a right turn ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I presume they're working on the planned "improvements" to the junction of Threadneedle Road, Kingston Road and Taylor's Hill. Link below, but no drawings available online unfortunately (I wonder why that is?).

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/010813_03.html

Interesting that they should be surveying that far down Bishop O'Donnell Road. Perhaps the plans include some sort of modifications to that link. No harm either -- the stretch between the Deane roundabout and the top of Threadneedle is not conducive for cycling to school especially.

I also wonder how they are going to facilitate an exemption for cyclists from the prohibited right turn. A separate phase of the traffic signals perhaps?

Why might that happen?

BTW, I can also envisage a situation in which motorists wishing to access Threadneedle Road from Kingston will turn left onto Bishop O'Donnell Road and then come back via the Deane roundabout. That would not be a good outcome, as it would exacerbate the existing congestion and take even more space away from children travelling to school on foot or by bike.

Those travelling in from the Barna Road area for the schools may turn right at knocknacarra cross.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    How would it take space away from pedestrians? And why should cyclists be exempt from a right turn ban?

Do you really need to ask? :)

The Deane roundabout is already clogged with motorised traffic in the morning as children and their parents are travelling to school on foot or by bike. The "courtesy crossings", which have little or no meaning in life, cannot be used by pedestrians when traffic is stalled, because vehicles (including buses and HGVs) are straddling them. Motorised traffic has continuous priority on roundabouts, and when vehicles are moving pedestrians, who do not have priority, cannot cross unless motorists decide to let them. Increased traffic on this link will certainly not improve that situation.

The reason for the ban on right turns for motorised vehicles is that the manoeuvre causes traffic congestion at the junction and on the roads leading to it, and is also dangerous (there have been collisions, and a cyclist was knocked down there only recently). Cyclists should be exempted from a ban on right turns for the simple reason that by cycling instead of driving they are causing no traffic congestion and are in fact alleviating it. Also, making cyclists take a long detour to access schools on Threadneedle Road from Kingston or return home to Bishop O'Donnell Road from school in Taylor's Hill would make a complete mockery of the utility of cycle commuting. Would we want that, even in Galway?

Right-turn and one-way exemptions for cyclists have for decades been a perfectly routine provision in cycle-friendly countries such as the Netherlands, and thirteen years into the 21st Century is not too soon for Ireland to start noticing the value of such measures. I can only hope that the City Council will implement the measure properly in this instance.

Those travelling in from the Barna Road area for the schools may turn right at knocknacarra cross.

Would that be a bad thing, necessarily?

Do you really need to ask? :)

The Deane roundabout is already clogged with motorised traffic in the morning as children and their parents are travelling to school on foot or by bike. The "courtesy crossings", which have little or no meaning in life, cannot be used by pedestrians when traffic is stalled, because vehicles (including buses and HGVs) are straddling them. Motorised traffic has continuous priority on roundabouts, and when vehicles are moving pedestrians, who do not have priority, cannot cross unless motorists decide to let them. Increased traffic on this link will certainly not improve that situation.

The reason for the ban on right turns for motorised vehicles is that the manoeuvre causes traffic congestion at the junction and on the roads leading to it, and is also dangerous (there have been collisions, and a cyclist was knocked down there only recently). Cyclists should be exempted from a ban on right turns for the simple reason that by cycling instead of driving they are causing no traffic congestion and are in fact alleviating it. Also, making cyclists take a long detour to access schools on Threadneedle Road from Kingston or return home to Bishop O'Donnell Road from school in Taylor's Hill would make a complete mockery of the utility of cycle commuting. Would we want that, even in Galway?

Right-turn and one-way exemptions for cyclists have for decades been a perfectly routine provision in cycle-friendly countries such as the Netherlands, and thirteen years into the 21st Century is not too soon for Ireland to start noticing the value of such measures. I can only hope that the City Council will implement the measure properly in this instance.

Having the roundabout all clogged up actually makes it easier to cross. The could stick a pelican on one of the arms (WD or BOD) I suppose.

It's difficult to see how a right turn exemption for cyclists could be safely implemented. They could probably just turn right during the pedestrian phase I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Excellent posts Iwannahurl.

I suspect it will be using the HOOK turn method. Like they have on the N6/R338.
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.282086,-9.065555&spn=0.000013,0.012392&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.281944,-9.06542&panoid=Mhucld-6faIKnHBXH61cxg&cbp=12,322.12,,0,0.06

The streetview does not show the new layout, but has a similar right turn ban for motorised vechicles who are travelling on the N6 and the R338.
    Threadneedle will only be on the R337

The Council should have an information campaign on the these HOOK turn's as they are popping up on all the new N6 junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Those travelling in from the Barna Road area will now either have to turn right at Knocknacarra Cross or turn left at the junction and loop back up around the roundabout.

And even though I'm in favour of the new no-right-turn rule, this will lead to more congestion either on the Deane roundabout, or on the Salthill Road.

Previously, traffic was backed up from Blackrock as far back as the Knocknacarra Road - I can now see it being backed up as far back as Knocknacarra Cross.

At least now there will be more movement at the Taylor's Hill junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

serfboard wrote: »
    Those travelling in from the Barna Road area will now either have to turn right at Knocknacarra Cross or turn left at the junction and loop back up around the roundabout.

And even though I'm in favour of the new no-right-turn rule, this will lead to more congestion either on the Deane roundabout, or on the Salthill Road.

Previously, traffic was backed up from Blackrock as far back as the Knocknacarra Road - I can now see it being backed up as far back as Knocknacarra Cross.

At least now there will be more movement at the Taylor's Hill junction.

It's hard to predict what the knock-on effect will be for the surrounding junctions.
    Alot of people use Salthill road because they are avoiding the Threadneedle road junction. When the new rules are introduced, those people might revert back to using the Threadneedle road junction.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    Having the roundabout all clogged up actually makes it easier to cross. The could stick a pelican on one of the arms (WD or BOD) I suppose.

It's difficult to see how a right turn exemption for cyclists could be safely implemented. They could probably just turn right during the pedestrian phase I suppose.

There is something in what you say. Unfortunately, when traffic is heavy there may be no way across. When pushing a buggy or wheelchair, or when accompanying one or more children who are walking or cycling, "courtesy crossings" are actually worse than useless. Pedestrians need to be able to cross at junctions in a safe, straightforward and predictable manner.

See here for examples of the way roundabouts present barriers to pedestrian convenience and safety: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86480422&postcount=43

Raised zebra crossings on all arms of a roundabout would be one possible solution, but for some reason Galway City Council seem to be allergic to them (to quote one elected representative).

I don't know the technical solution to cyclist exemptions at traffic signals, but I sincerely hope it's done right. I don't want to see a continuance of the current situation, which has cyclists travelling on the footpaths in all directions.

It's hard to predict what the knock-on effect will be for the surrounding junctions.
    Alot of people use Salthill road because they are avoiding the Threadneedle road junction. When the new rules are introduced, those people might revert back to using the Threadneedle road junction.

Another solution would be for the substantial proportion of children living within 3-4 km of their school to travel by other means.

This will require further intervention (engineering, enforcement and education) by the City Council and other relevant authorities.

I had a very brief chat with one of the surveyors (mentioned above) this morning. Turns out they are surveying all the way from the Deane roundabout to Blackrock. If the Council want more people to walk, cycle and take the bus to schools in the Salthill area, then they will have to provide safe and conducive routes for children to do so. Hopefully the surveying is an early sign of change in the right direction.

Another solution would be for the substantial proportion of children living within 3-4 km of their school to travel by other means.
    A bus lane (inward) on Kingston would help a lot but there's no room (unless you CPO some land off the Golf club ;)).

Or, the Western Distributor should have been built (or should now be modified) C2 + B2 (or C2 + B1 inward might suffice). Then run a bus service along it all the way from the Cappagh Road to Parkmore/Ballybrit/Mervue for workers, to Salthill/Taylors Hill for schools and to UHG/NUIG for workers, patients/visitors and students.

10,000 residents and insufficient public transport is a recipe for more car usage and congestion.

From the end of the Western Distributor Road to the general vicinity of several schools in the Salthill area is just over 4 km.

I agree that the WDR needs bus lanes, and the roundabouts have to be removed or substantially modified.

However, distances of 4 km and less are suitable for cycling, and 1-2 km is not too far to walk. Despite these manageable distances, and the allegedly intolerable traffic congestion, large numbers of Knocknacarra residents continue to use the car for the school run.

I know I'm repeating myself (again :)) but my child cycles 3 km to Senior Infants most days, and the main barriers along the way are issues such as speeding, congested junctions, roundabouts, unsafe or absent pedestrian crossings, illegal parking and poor quality cycle lanes. Meanwhile, neighbours of ours are driving 800 metres to the local school and 400 metres to the local creche, and parking up on footpaths and cycle lanes while doing so. I know one parent who drives two kids (aged 10-12 or thereabouts) to different schools less than 4 km away in two separate trips every morning. When they were in primary school they were driven less than 500 metres, literally around the corner, to the bus stop!

Lack of infrastructure, such as bus lanes, is clearly a deficiency in transportation policy, with predictable consequences. But it's far from being the whole story.

my child cycles 3 km to Senior Infants most days
    That's great. Your child is an exception, though. Most parents won't let their primary-school-going children cycle to school because the roads are too dangerous, leading to more cars on the road making them more dangerous ...
    neighbours of ours are driving 800 metres to the local school and 400 metres to the local creche, and parking up on footpaths and cycle lanes while doing so. I know one parent who drives two kids (aged 10-12 or thereabouts) to different schools less than 4 km away in two separate trips every morning. When they were in primary school they were driven less than 500 metres, literally around the corner, to the bus stop!
    Years ago, we used to laugh at the Yanks for doing exactly this sort of thing. Now, we're just as bad.
    Lack of infrastructure, such as bus lanes, is clearly a deficiency in transportation policy, with predictable consequences. But it's far from being the whole story.
    I said to myself that I'd leave out the bit about cycle lanes from my last post to see how long it would take you to mention them!

In advocating a C2 + B1 (if we can't have C2+B2) along the distributor road, I'd envisage something along the lines of what was done on the SQR (obviously at far less cost per km) - i.e. putting in proper bus and cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

This will require further intervention (engineering, enforcement and education) by the City Council and other relevant authorities.

I had a very brief chat with one of the surveyors (mentioned above) this morning. Turns out they are surveying all the way from the Deane roundabout to Blackrock. If the Council want more people to walk, cycle and take the bus to schools in the Salthill area, then they will have to provide safe and conducive routes for children to do so. Hopefully the surveying is an early sign of change in the right direction.

The Transportation Unit in the Council have had plans for the stretch for a while - I emailed them via Clr. Donal Lyons a good while ago re. the mudbaths/grass verge on the footpaths and they said plans were being drafted to remedy that specific issue while at the same time improving the sustainability transport options for schools in the area. that's all they were willing to say, hence the question here with the surveyors out.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

serfboard wrote: »
    A bus lane (inward) on Kingston would help a lot but there's no room (unless you CPO some land off the Golf club ;)).

Given the population of schoolchildren trying to get from Knocknacarra to Salerno/Endas. I cant see why a path could not be put inside the wall of the golf course to get kids cycling and walking to and from Threadneedle road.

Given the population of schoolchildren trying to get from Knocknacarra to Salerno/Endas. I cant see why a path could not be put inside the wall of the golf course to get kids cycling and walking to and from Threadneedle road.

Excellent idea - also could provide a pedestrian/cyclist Toucan crossing at entrance to Manor Drive to link in with Millar's Lane.

• Advertisement

I cant see why a path could not be put inside the wall of the golf course
    You've answered your own question.

The Transportation Unit in the Council have had plans for the stretch for a while - I emailed them via Clr. Donal Lyons a good while ago re. the mudbaths/grass verge on the footpaths and they said plans were being drafted to remedy that specific issue while at the same time improving the sustainability transport options for schools in the area. that's all they were willing to say, hence the question here with the surveyors out.

Ya remember seeing this in the City's Smarter Travel Submission
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/SmarterTravel/260410_01.pdf
    See page 12

Excellent idea - also could provide a pedestrian/cyclist Toucan crossing at entrance to Manor Drive to link in with Millar's Lane.

Interesting idea indeed. Never occurred to me, even in my wildest fantasies of reclaiming golf courses. ;)

Colaiste Einde and Salerno back onto the golf course, so it would be easy to run a greenway through there.

Millar's Lane ought to be a pleasant and handy off-road route for cyclists and pedestrians. Unfortunately the surface is awful and it's of little use for the school run or anything else.

It dawned on me only recently that Millar's Lane was severed by the Western Distributor Road when it was constructed, and of course Galway City Council made no effort to provide a pedestrian crossing to maintain some level of continuity for pedestrians. Does anyone know whether this severance received any attention at the time (late 90s)?

Millar's Lane ought to be a pleasant and handy off-road route for cyclists and pedestrians. Unfortunately the surface is awful and it's of little use for the school run or anything else.
    Ya it's poor in spots - it was a lot worse though up until last year especially up towards Manor Drive section.
    Compact gravel or rolled tarmacadam would help.
    It dawned on me only recently that Millar's Lane was severed by the Western Distributor Road when it was constructed, and of course Galway City Council made no effort to provide a pedestrian crossing to maintain some level of continuity for pedestrians. Does anyone know whether this severance received any attention at the time (late 90s)?

Agree a raised Zebra crossing/pelican crossing would have been the obvious solution.
    Can't help re severance receiving any attention at the time; was not in Galway City back then - but I do know it was the City Councils Parks Department who put in the staggered galvanised barriers on Millar's lane and whom I presume are responsible for the upkeep of the lane.

they did resurfacing work on it last year but the grade of gravel they left is rough enough alright. Clr Donal Lyons is very responsive I've found and he'll raise any issue you have with the relevant council department, that's what they're elected for after all!

Donal Lyons, and presumably all other Councillors, will raise issues with the Executive when representations are made by constituents. Unfortunately, if the officials do not want to deal with the issue for whatever reason, they just don't bother to respond. Then the Councillors go silent because they have nothing to report. I agree that Cllr Lyons is responsive, certainly more so than many other Councillors (eg he'll readily answer his phone and will return calls), but that doesn't mean he is more influential or effective.

I have a theory, impossible to test perhaps, that Councillors prefer to go silent rather than admit they have no power or influence when it comes to getting responses from officials.

Again I have to ask: if it is the case that Councillors are powerless, even just to get answers to written questions, then why do we have them at all? Answers on the back of an election flyer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Parents are the problem.

Instead of banning right turns, ban parents from driving children to school.

Children should walk or cycle or get a bus to school.

Galway City Council are currently running a Park & Stride initiative. AFAIK the two secondary schools on Threadneedle Road are participating in the programme.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/160913_01.html

One of the objectives of the initiative is to reduce traffic congestion in the vicinity of schools.

Does anyone know whether this is being achieved on Threadneedle Road?

Is traffic noticeably lighter? Can children cross the road without having to compete with cars? Are motorists still driving up on the footpaths and "grass" verges, or has that behaviour been eliminated or reduced?

Galway City Council are currently running a Park & Stride initiative. AFAIK the two secondary schools on Threadneedle Road are participating in the programme.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/160913_01.html

One of the objectives of the initiative is to reduce traffic congestion in the vicinity of schools.

Does anyone know whether this is being achieved on Threadneedle Road?

Is traffic noticeably lighter? Can children cross the road without having to compete with cars? Are motorists still driving up on the footpaths and "grass" verges, or has that behaviour been eliminated or reduced?

don't reckon this scheme is having any effect on the traffic behaviour around the Threadneedle Rd schools as there aren't any relevant public carparks within a suitable distance... pity, it's a laudable idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I drive that way and haven't seen any particular ease-up in congestion.
    Can't really see it working for those schools, maybe bish and other central schools will work better.

Advertisement