Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threadneedle Road junction?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Galway City Council are currently running a Park & Stride initiative. AFAIK the two secondary schools on Threadneedle Road are participating in the programme.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/160913_01.html

One of the objectives of the initiative is to reduce traffic congestion in the vicinity of schools.

Does anyone know whether this is being achieved on Threadneedle Road?

Is traffic noticeably lighter? Can children cross the road without having to compete with cars? Are motorists still driving up on the footpaths and "grass" verges, or has that behaviour been eliminated or reduced?

I go up threadneedle road every day, it has made no difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Well, if they really are participating in the programme, it definitely hasn't been communicated in Endas. I'm very active in the school and would have heard. Maybe it refers to the boys' primary on Dr Mannix Rd? But the map would suggest otherwise :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Both secondary schools are listed in the Council's Park & Stride leaflet. Colaiste Einde is #8 and Salerno is #10.

To my mind the obvious weakness of the scheme is that there is no incentive for people doing the school run by car to drive to a car parking area where they don't have to pay, when they're already parking wherever and however they please close to the school entrance, also without having to pay.

Parents also have to register in order to take part in the P&S. What would motivate them to do so?

Reducing traffic congestion around schools is indeed a laudable aim, but who is going to park further away from the school in order to leave space for those who would drive up to the school door if they could?

Advertisement