Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New technology store opening in Nov. 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CompuB would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

No idea - the listing on the CPL web site would seem to try and hint that it might be Apple - http://www.cpl.ie/job/details/technology-gurus-dublin-and-kildare/141569/
    They have corporate offices all over the world, from Cupertino to London to Shanghai.

But it could be anyone from a Curry's type store, to Samsung or Microsoft - or of course it really could be Apple - but from no stores in the republic to two with one in Newbridge, it just doesn't make sense to me. Apple retail store have the highest revenue per square foot of any retail store, they carefully select the locations to ensure the highest possible customer numbers and that's why I'm so doubtful.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

MYOB wrote: »
    CompuB would be my guess.

Makes sense, they don't have a store in Liffey Valley and given they are authorized Apple resellers, that could be used to justify the wording in the CPL listings....

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I appreciate your help. I was thinking it might have something to do with Apple, Compub looks like a likely candidate so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CompuB don't have offices in Cupertino, Shanghai or London.

If the ads are truthful then they read like Apple Stores especially with the description "international opportunities existing in engineering, marketing, design, merchandising, legal, real estate and of course sales and retail".

• Advertisement

Recruitment agencies are not known for telling the truth. Apple do put stores in shopping centres but generally only after having one monstrous glass palace in the capital. Whitewater would not be a logical first or second location.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MYOB wrote: »
    Recruitment agencies are not known for telling the truth. Apple do put stores in shopping centres but generally only after having one monstrous glass palace in the capital. Whitewater would not be a logical first or second location.

Agree totally that Whitewater would be logical but it would be extremely misleading of the recruitment agency to advertise like that, and yes, I do know what they are like having dealt with them in the past.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Do you reckon they are taking the old HMV store in the Whitewater. If so there is currently a temp Halloween store in there now. Even if its not Apple a Compub or the likes would be great. I do agree reading the Ad as it is written it looks like Apple all day long but I don't believe it for one minute. As someone that lives in Newbridge then happy days as since Peats closed we dont have a tech shop in the town.

Here's hoping.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"The international Flagship Store in question will open up on 30-11-2013." it does sound more the compu b. Nice to see jobs like this coming to Kildare.

Apple have HUGE operations in Ireland including HR - I doubt they'd be hiring staff via CPL. I'm fairly certain this'll be a "well, its an Apple store, ish" fudge designed to try and get people. There are a huge amount of unfilled IT jobs at the moment so getting decent IT staff willing to work retail is really not easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Its neither CompuB or Apple - its a new player in the Irish market

245 wrote: »

Still being extremely deceptively advertised (by dropping in Cupertino, etc) but hey, its a recruitment agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

245 wrote: »

Source? Please tell me it's not the post in the apple forum saying so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If it was apple it would have been headlines in commercial property pages - apple would NOT open a flagship store in whitewater. They even turned down a south king street location and a college green location. They are only interested in the absolute best location even within a centre.

However, that said Apple have a new head of retail who is rumored to be looking at a "retail partner" system rather than purely go alone stores.

With Apple having operations here, it would be a good place to try out such a policy due to the frequency of visits by senior apple execs to Cork.

So I'll put money on CompuB operating an apple branded store and being the first apple franchise operation. Apple have 408 stores worldwide including all locations mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

sandin wrote: »
    If it was apple it would have been headlines in commercial property pages - apple would NOT open a flagship store in whitewater. They even turned down a south king street location and a college green location. They are only interested in the absolute best location even within a centre.

However, that said Apple have a new head of retail who is rumored to be looking at a "retail partner" system rather than purely go alone stores.

With Apple having operations here, it would be a good place to try out such a policy due to the frequency of visits by senior apple execs to Cork.

So I'll put money on CompuB operating an apple branded store and being the first apple franchise operation. Apple have 408 stores worldwide including all locations mentioned.

I wonder is it this crowd. In today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/apple-reseller-iconnect-to-open-stores-in-ireland-1.1576109

richiek83 wrote: »

Looks like you could be correct, a real shame they dont have rights to sell iPhones just other Apple products.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

I work in the whitewater and the unit across from easons that is empty has people going in and out working on it with the windows blocked out completely so you can't see in. Wonder if it will be in there?

Any update guys on what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

I haven't heard anything at all? No rumours at all going around lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

obnicc wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything at all? No rumours at all going around lol

I've seen an ad on Facebook for iConnect which makes it clear that the shop will be theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Its CEX

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

CEX is not an Apple reseller. It's iConnect.

You will have to wait and see so :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's already been confirmed that it's iConnect. Maybe CEX is opening a store in one of those locations as well.

Where was it confirmed? iconnect is not opening stores here until next year.

It's on their website:

http://i-connect.ie

oh maybe you are right so! It said in the Irish times article that iconnect are opening their stores next year.

CEX are also coming!
    Job here if anyone is interested

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

why do we think it is an apple related store?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    why do we think it is an apple related store?

The ridiculous puffed-up claims in the recruitment piece mentioned Cupertino, which is where Apple's HQ is and has very few if any other firms based there, particularly none we'd have heard of.

• Advertisement

ah I see.
    I would have never made the connection:)

Advertisement