Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synology DS213+ NAS Drive

Options
  • 21-10-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I need to setup a new Synology DS213+ NAS drive and the network card seems to be set to 1Gb Full Duplex, so its not going to work connected to my UPC Cisco EPC2425 with 10/100mb ports. Looks like I have to get a small Gig switch.
    Its also set to boot looking for DHCP so needs to be connected to a router to get an address anyway.

I setup another Synology DS412+ a couple of months back and this connected fine to the UPC Cisco EPC2425 as the network cards must have stepped down to 100Mb.

Before I go and purchase a small Gig-switch, anyone else come across this issues and recommend a work around to access the device?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

First port of call should be Synology themselves I'd say. I'd find it very odd that they'd fix the network speed to 1Gbit/s, or indeed to fix it at all, as fixing one end of a connection can sometimes mess up auto negotiation at the other. Synology appear to have a support forum as well, so maybe ask over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Good point, thanks, will check the Synology forum, could be a faulty NIC, not sure, when I set my laptop to 1Gig FD and use a crossover cable to the NAS directly, the NAS link lights don't even show, but the laptop NIC does show activity.
    (I still can't use this way to configure it as I can't get an IP onto it initially).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you could beg, steal or borrow a gigabit switch from someone so as to at least be able to log on to it and poke around in the web management interface and take a look at the NIC configuration that'd be a help.

Advertisement