Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossbows law in ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 oldguysrip

I think they were included in legislation at the time because there were loads of scumbags buying them who thought "lets go up to the Phoenix park and kill a deer". Loads of deer were being found with bolts in them around the country. I think that is the reason for the legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If that was the case compounds etc. would be in the same situation. Crossbows being on the restricted list was an oversight when the Restricted SI was being written, nobody made a fuss about it at the time so it was never altered.

Rifles with folding stocks were on it too until the ISSF lads pointed out that some of their rifles have folding stocks and it was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 marksalad1102

Dam i just bought one hand held with target board but when i orderd it i said only if its ok to import it to ireland and no not from USA either its 2 days late if i dont get back within 3yrs 9mts iam in mountjoy lol hope not ps can anyone tell me the laws on a airsoft sniper rifle? not BB GUN have a RAT PROBLEM! Tks guys.

Airsoft gun won't kill a rat. Get some traps.

what about a clean head night vision shot?

• Advertisement

Night vision shot? Airsoft guns here have to be under 1 joule...that's not lethal for any animal..it wouldn't even penetrate your soft eyeball.

i here you but if you look at some airsoft shops theres air rifles with lead pellets and 350psf so if i can go trough a can of water or lynx with a little white bb gun iam% sure they takeing the lead pellet out and rifle out of the equ i would never point or try with a 1 j bb but lead rifle that has2 work and a lot cheeper than a stack of rat traps & dont like poison so what you think mate rifle or any ideas?

Anything over 1 joule is a firearm and needs a licence. If it's throwing a metal pellet at any respectable velocity you will need a licence to buy or possess it.

thanks for answering my friend so if i buy a long bow with alo tips may i use that now there selling them in a lot of stores in dublin and around and i know there a lot more deadley than a 1J bb so how can the law bend 1 way but not the other no long bow jokes pls lol

You can use a bow for target shooting but not for hunting.

• Advertisement

so if a big rat is in my farm howse or yard can i not kill it ? i think its a bit stupid about crossbows with the trigger things the traps all have triggers and some large bows have tripple the force psi psf ect ect and depending on the arrow tip x4 so ive no idea why there saying yes to one no to the other and head scratching about xyz i think it should be down to the buyer/owner to make sure they look after any outdoor sport item they have in they own its legal to walk around with a cordless heavy duty nail gun so why not the rest?

You can kill it with a gun, trap, poison, snare, cat, ferret..just not a bow and arrow.

Crossbows aren't restricted because they have a trigger.

so pls dont think iam pulling your leg but why crossbows and not long bows and i would pref to be killed with a head shot than tied up to starve poison,d to bleed from inside out or strangeld with a big railway track with spikes hanging round me neck just because i wanted me dinner ie rat bait and as for power gats they would only p**s the fe***r off would it not? so why not an arrow it,s just not fait do you agree?

I explained why crossbows are restricted in the third ppst on this page.

so why has the rod and gun shops only started selling full bows and the likes in the last 12mts that i know of trough my local shop and says the laws have been changed with non sharpend projectiles! hand guns have no stock or nail guns same idea shot a projectile at a sweet 675fps easy and bows up to 500fps &some depending on the bow?

sfp

Compounds and recurves have always been avaialble here. Just becajse you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't around.

It has nothing to do with stocks or triggers or anything else, they are restricted because of oversight. The government had no real issue with them. They were put on that list with a load of other random stuff, people petitioned to have items taken off the list and they succeeded. Nobody spoke up for crossbows so they're still restricted.

are you into crossbows your self?

No, I'm a shooter.

on the ball yes 21 not 16 area 51 is a little mrs mallaprops!

• Advertisement

that says it all thanks for your input ps is it 16 or 18 or 21 for a gun lice?

GOD BLESS at 16 your old enough to get a high cal rifle but not a crossbow thats where ireland today and some have no price dif weird or NOT?

You can have a crossbow, as long as you have a restricted firearms licence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would it be possible that it's because a crossbow shoots at X amount of joules, but you're unable to measure the joules of a bow?

but not kill a rat with an arrow?

just so iam clear both long and crossbows shoot the same projectiles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

the_syco wrote: »
    Would it be possible that it's because a crossbow shoots at X amount of joules, but you're unable to measure the joules of a bow?

Nothing to do with joules, its been said about 5 times in this thread what the reason is

the_syco wrote: »

You can measure the joules of a bow, it's just a measure of energy. Once you know the weight of the arrow and how fast it's going you can calculate the joules.

It's nothing to do with that anyway.

• Advertisement

so is not with an arrow thanks my friend good night and god bless.........

Advertisement