Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So close yet so far

Options
  • 21-10-2013 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of advice or even just thoughts on my situation.

I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher but as my Irish was never up to standard I tried my best to fit into some other career or job. I
    Always felt that being a teacher would be a job I'd naturally fit into as I want to work with children and the prospect of teaching a classroom really appeals to me.

I went to W.I.T and completed a 4 year level 8 degree in exercise and health studies, my eventual final grade was a pass grade, with an average result of 49%. Does anyone know of anyone who went on to do a post grad with a pass result in a level 8 degree? It seems this 1% is preventing me from going further and that my 4 year course was a waste of time because of a pass result.

I got a job as a care assistant for 3 and a half years after college to which I was delighted with but during my employment I said I'd give the Irish a go and see could I get into the hibernia post grad course. I ended up studying for the year, did a good oral but the questions on poetry and aiste let me down, I ended up getting a D3 result, not good enough. I originally got a C3 at ordinary level.

I might add I was never the most academic student and have always felt I was punching above my weight during school and college always mostly getting C's and D's. My leaving cert included honours in constructionC1, engineeringC2, EnglishD2. I know I'd be a great teacher regardless of my results but requirements are requirements and I understand that competition is fierce and that colleges can't accept every application.

Last year I decided to go through the uk route but again my leaving cert results had to be improved, I originally failed honours biology but repeated it just the summer gone, I also repeated my maths, getting a B3 and C3 respectively at ordinary level. I thought these would be good enough but after contacting a number of colleges I was told my degree result isn't good enough as students with a minimum of a 2:1 can apply but sometimes 2:2 may be considered under the discretion of the course leader but I'm 1% off even that.

I half turned a blind eye to this entry requirement but had heard before that as long as I had a level 8 degree I could apply.

I'm just wondering am I wasting my time? Should I accept that my results were never and currently are not good enough? Has anyone ever heard of someone getting into any sort of post grad let alone a primary teaching post grad with a pass result in a level 8 degree? Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Have you considered doing the Postgrad in Montessori teaching with St Nicholas Montessori College? There seems to be far more work available in this area than primary teaching anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Hi castaway, thanks for the reply, to be honest I haven't, I always wanted to teach a curriculum and teach all the subjects that are included in a primary school and get students to learn and develop from a point A to point B if that makes sense, I don't think I'd be as comfortable with younger children for some reason, maybe because I'm male I don't know
    My sister did a post grad in Montessori teaching, I don't think it's for me.
    To be honest I think I'm clutching onto straws, I thought about going in a different direction with college and do a 3 year night class in electronic engineering, I'm 28 now, but when I went to the open day they said oh by the way that course won't be run at night this year. I'm just a bit demoralised with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Howyaaaaa7

I have been told that for people that don't have the best degree results Ireland is easier to get into than England for primary teaching as the interview is a huge factor. It might be worth a shot to do irish again and try get into an irish Uni/hibernia. Also changes are coming into place from jan 1st 2014 with regards to teacher training in the uk as the ECT credits in Ireland for teaching have increased to 120 and the uk is usually 60ECTSs so if you want to come back to Ireland you will have to sit extra exams apart from irish to make up for the credits.......

Howyaaaaa7 wrote: »
    I have been told that for people that don't have the best degree results Ireland is easier to get into than England for primary teaching as the interview is a huge factor. It might be worth a shot to do irish again and try get into an irish Uni/hibernia. Also changes are coming into place from jan 1st 2014 with regards to teacher training in the uk as the ECT credits in Ireland for teaching have increased to 120 and the uk is usually 60ECTSs so if you want to come back to Ireland you will have to sit extra exams apart from irish to make up for the credits.......

Ya I think that may be the best thing for me to do really.
    I just looked at my grades from college and I was unsure about the whole ECTS thing, I added them up and they came to 240 ECTS credits, is this a lot? Seems like again I have certain requirements but not other such as the leaving cert results.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I might add I was never the most academic student...

I know I'd be a great teacher regardless of my results...
    To be honest, I'm having trouble reconciling those two statements. If you're not academic yourself, what makes you think you'll be able to nurture those who are? I don't mean to be harsh - not everyone's academic! But if you're finding it such a struggle just to get into a teaching course, never mind actually qualify, maybe it's time to ask if this is really the right career for you? There are lots of other careers that involve working with kids.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm having trouble reconciling those two statements. If you're not academic yourself, what makes you think you'll be able to nurture those who are? I don't mean to be harsh - not everyone's academic! But if you're finding it such a struggle just to get into a teaching course, never mind actually qualify, maybe it's time to ask if this is really the right career for you? There are lots of other careers that involve working with kids.

Yes I see what you are saying and am currently looking into what else I could possibly do and have pretty much accepted that I can't get into a post grad, but by this logic it just seems to suggest people with higher grades get the job done effectively and more effectively than others with lower grades whatever the job is. I simply disagree but that's for a different discussion.

I know I don't have to agree with this as I am not in any position to jump into whatever course suits, other people work hard and just as hard to get the grades they need. Even from the title I chose, I'm just on the wrong side of that 'awkward' academic bracket. Im sure we've all come across people who achieve high academically but are not tuned in when it comes to working at their particular job whatever it may be. I have.

Going back to your point about being academic and nurturing others who are, yes I have not achieved highly but I strongly feel that would not prevent me getting the best out of students in a primary setting and creating an inclusive supportive learning environment where students could develop.

Anywho I don't mean to be rude or offensive toward folk who get good grades, or better than mine :)'I've met some great teachers who are naturals at their job
    , I'm just having difficulty with the realisation that I can't even apply as I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher.
    Again apologies if I'm coming off as bitter, it's a big world with a lot of opportunities and I'm sure I'll fit into something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Have you looked into trying to get into the UK for a primary teaching undergrad degree...effectively start college again? I know you'd still need Irish to teach here but not if you were prepared to teach over there instead. I think there used to be a diploma night course in some of the Unis in Gaeilge that replaced the need for a LC grade in it, that might be worth checking out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

I got into a primary teaching postgrad in Ireland with a pass grade in my level 8 degree. Once you have your Irish requirement there's nothing stopping you!

I got into a primary teaching postgrad in Ireland with a pass grade in my level 8 degree. Once you have your Irish requirement there's nothing stopping you!

Yes I think England isn't an option because of my pass degree result so repeating Irish is my best option which I think ill re-sit. Thanks bradan, at least I know I haven't hit a brick wall.it will just take time and extra work on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Hi Starscream I got a D2 in Irish in Ord LC and went back last year to repeat, got a D1 in Honours, I was heartbroken but I know this is what I want to do so I repeated the Irish again and I got a B3 this year ;)

Sitting my interview for Pats this Friday so fingers crossed, I only got a pass in my degree also.

• Advertisement

shellita wrote: »
    Hi Starscream I got a D2 in Irish in Ord LC and went back last year to repeat, got a D1 in Honours, I was heartbroken but I know this is what I want to do so I repeated the Irish again and I got a B3 this year ;)

Sitting my interview for Pats this Friday so fingers crossed, I only got a pass in my degree also.

Congratulations shellita, third time lucky. Must of been very tough having gone through that. it shows and hard work can pay off , it's great to hear someone with a similar story and that you got well above the minimum requirement with perseverance.
    I'd guess that any interview panel would look on that favourably or at least I'd hope they would if you mention it.
    I don't think I'll be repeating anything this academic year but next year more likely for me.

Best of luck with the interview. :)

Advertisement