Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water heater / boiler question

Options
  • 21-10-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Having a little trouble heating the water the through the gas boiler, in Charlesland.
    I've read through some old threads, and there seems to be a lot of threads on the "bar pressure" dropping.

Can anyone tell me what it should be please?
    Currently, when off, it's at 1.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi All

Having a little trouble heating the water the through the gas boiler, in Charlesland.
    I've read through some old threads, and there seems to be a lot of threads on the "bar pressure" dropping.

Can anyone tell me what it should be please?
    Currently, when off, it's at 1.

Many Thanks in advance.

If its at 1 it shouldnt be a problem. Mine is usually at 0.5 and works fine. Do the rads work ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Jim Jay

Yes rads seem fine.

We've had the rads off all summer and only turned them on the other night.

During the summer I'd heat the water 30 mins and it was piping hot, we'd easily get 2 showers out of it.

Now with the rads turned on, heat the water for 30 mins, but only just about warm enough for a shower. I'd have thought it would have been piping with rads on? extra warm water running through system?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi Jim Jay

Yes rads seem fine.

We've had the rads off all summer and only turned them on the other night.

During the summer I'd heat the water 30 mins and it was piping hot, we'd easily get 2 showers out of it.

Now with the rads turned on, heat the water for 30 mins, but only just about warm enough for a shower. I'd have thought it would have been piping with rads on? extra warm water running through system?

You're heating the rads as well as the tank now and therefore the heat gets "diluted" I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

JanneG wrote: »
    You're heating the rads as well as the tank now and therefore the heat gets "diluted" I'd say...

As far as i know its just the heat from central heating pipes heating the water in the tank as it passes by. When you have the water heating on it heats the tank with an element in the tank. There is also a switch in the hotpress (usually with sink and bath on it) which will switch to use the full element or half of it.
    If we have our rads on for evening our water is very hot after couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

JanneG is correct. When you turn on the rads all the cold water in the rads is pumped through the cylinder, cooling the water. This will continue until the temperature in the rads equals that in the cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

thank you all for your replies.
    it's much clearer now.

we'd the rads on for couple of hours and water was piping hot again.

i was worried incase bigger problem but it's just ignorance:o

thanks again
    LJ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

we've one sinegal rad now that only gests slightly warm. tried bleeding it and checking the water pressure.

the courner inlet seems to be hot beyond the valve so i know the valve is working, the rad seems a little warm but nothing in comparison to the others.

anyone any ideas?

Is it the radiator that is furthest away from boiler? You may have to balance the flow of water through all your radiators to ensure that all rads heat the same. There are 2 valves on each rad, one you adjust easily and the other is set. to balance system it is necessary to reduce the flow in some rads.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWbxccVDpc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

we've one sinegal rad now that only gests slightly warm. tried bleeding it and checking the water pressure.

the courner inlet seems to be hot beyond the valve so i know the valve is working, the rad seems a little warm but nothing in comparison to the others.

anyone any ideas?

Each radiator should have a flow and return. However it would seem that some genius has plumbed some radiators so that they either have 2 flows or two returns!

• Advertisement

its actually the closest, it used to work perfect.

its actually the closest, it used to work perfect.
    Turn off all your other rads and see if that single rad gets hot. Just to check it isn't full of sludge etc. If it gets hot then turn on other rads 1 by 1 over a 2 hour period to see if single rad goes cold again.
    If it is not airlocked or full of dirt then I would suggest the balancing routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

if the rad has a thermostatic radiator valve (trv) on one side unscrew the plastic head and give the pin a gentle tap with a hammer as sometimes the pin gets stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hi,

just wondering if this has happened to anybody else or if anyone has an idea what could be the problem.......

When we turn on the central heating to heat the rads everything is fine and rads all heat up nicely. But once the heat is turned off, the pressure drops as the rads are cooling.

For example, yesterday turned on heating, boiler pressure was 1.2 bars, heat on for a couple of hours, no problems, pressure fine. But once we turned the heat off the pressure fell as the rads were cooling - right down to 0.3 bars.

We repressurise using the valve in the hot press, back to 1.2 bars, but the same thing happens the next time we use the heating.

We have bled all of the rads and there doesn't seem to be any air in them.

Any ideas?

I would say there is a very slight leak in the system. It could be a drip at the blow off valve, it could be a small hole in the diaphragm in the pressure vessel. Or it could be at a pipe joint under the floor and it is such a small leak that doesn't cause a watermark so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1repkd1HHc

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Thanks Pixbyjohn,

ok so a plumber required so. Any recommendations from anyone who has used a plumber for the boilers in Charlesland?

when the heating turns off the pump turns off and the pressure drops. should be about 1bar while off and 1.5 bar when on.

Advertisement