Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Technology Stores - Liffey Valley & Whitewater (Newbridge)

• 21-10-2013 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

This got mentioned on the Kildare forum - here

CPL have a bunch of hypebole on their job listings - as discussed on the Kildare forum CompuB seem the most likely candidate - but I can imagine the CPL listing will push the Apple store rumor mill into over drive. :rolleyes:
    They have corporate offices all over the world, from Cupertino to London to Shanghai.
    The scale and success of our client's company cannot be overstated with international opportunities existing in engineering, marketing, design, merchandising, legal, real estate and of course sales and retail. Making their mark on the irish market this year, it's a fantastic time to join an exciting, energetic and slick company that will doubtlessly offer huge career potential for ambitious characters, depending on what they want to do.

Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not a chance in hell this is Apple, who are incredibly fussy about the location of their stores. Even the old HMV building on Grafton Street wasn’t good enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not a chance in hell this is Apple, who are incredibly fussy about the location of their stores. Even the old HMV building on Grafton Street wasn’t good enough for them.

Ok, so how is the Belfast store ok? Haven't been there but from what I have seen it doesn't look much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Apple also have a store in the middle of nowhere in Cologne, Germany (30 minutes by tram from the city centre).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven't been in it either, but Victoria Square is all high-end retailers like Apple. It was a new shopping complex at the time. Any pictures I've seen of the store look pretty impressive. Keep in mind, though, Apple have about 40 stores in the UK. They can't all be flagships.

Apple's approach to retail has changed a lot over the years. They are much fussier than they used to be. Most of their US stores are nothing special.

But looking at that job listing it definitely does sound like Apple. I guess it could be CompuB, but if so they are being somewhat misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

But looking at that job listing it definitely does sound like Apple. I guess it could be CompuB, but if so they are being somewhat misleading.

My view was similar - which is kind of why I re-posted this here from the Kildare forum - to me the locations don't make sense for Apple, particularly two at once (relatively) close together - so I'm assuming it's just CPL gilding the lily on the job listing - using the fact that CompuB are an authorized Apple reseller to justify their wording...... But it all seems weird none the less.

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I can't remember the name of the company but its not apple, its a rival to Compub. They will just be a premium reseller, I say just but to be a premium reseller you must sell 70k worth of apple products a month, on top of all your other costs (when compared to the average apple store turnover of $50 mil I suppose its not too bad)

joe316 wrote: »
    I can't remember the name of the company but its not apple, its a rival to Compub. They will just be a premium reseller, I say just but to be a premium reseller you must sell 70k worth of apple products a month, on top of all your other costs (when compared to the average apple store turnover of $50 mil I suppose its not too bad)

Is it a new company or do they already have shops in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How can they describe themselves as having offices in Cupertino, Shanghai etc?

Also, international opportunities existing in engineering, marketing, design, merchandising, legal, real estate and of course sales and retail.

CompuB and the like could not really offer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I just read it, it really does sound like apple, where is this new store supposed to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Maybe peats old shop just on the way in the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Is it a new company or do they already have shops in Ireland?

Its a new company, think the guy I know said that they had a store in Dubai or summit, sorry that's not more information but its def not apple. Apple would never put a store in LV or WW (no offence!) and not one in Grafton St area. Look how long it took Abercrombie to pick a store, Apple would probably be even more picky than them with regards to picking store locations especially their first Irish store look at their London stores i.e. Regent St and Covent Garden.

That ad is just a load of lies.

Yea Liffey Valley is definitely not the place for an apple store. Id say the A&F store would be the kind of thing apple would be looking for.

Or the front entrance of Jervis, that find of place, not Liffey Valley or Kildare!

Apple Premium Resellers usually have to get their staff trained by Apple, so maybe that’s the justification for the wording of the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Its a new company, think the guy I know said that they had a store in Dubai or summit, sorry that's not more information but its def not apple. Apple would never put a store in LV or WW (no offence!) and not one in Grafton St area. Look how long it took Abercrombie to pick a store, Apple would probably be even more picky than them with regards to picking store locations especially their first Irish store look at their London stores i.e. Regent St and Covent Garden.

That ad is just a load of lies.

A crowd called iStyle seem to be the only Apple Premium Reseller in Dubai, if there is any truth to it.

I can see the points against Liffey Valley but using the example of Germany, there are some recently opened retail stores terribly far from the city centres (Cologne being one example)....

The point isn't necessarily that Apple would never open an Apple Store in Liffey Valley/wherever, but that they wouldn't want their first Apple Store in Ireland to be there. They'll want their flagship Irish store to be in the best location possible. Once established in the country, they'll be less picky about where their stores go.

embraer170 wrote: »
    I can see the points against Liffey Valley but using the example of Germany, there are some recently opened retail stores terribly far from the city centres (Cologne being one example)....

But was there some in the city center first?

DylanII wrote: »
    But was there some in the city center first?

No, Cologne's only Apple store is far outside town. It's a pain to get to by either public transport or by car.

I can definitely see the point about a desire for the first Irish store to be a true flagship but I also wouldn't be that surprised to see a first store somewhere like Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

The point isn't necessarily that Apple would never open an Apple Store in Liffey Valley/wherever, but that they wouldn't want their first Apple Store in Ireland to be there. They'll want their flagship Irish store to be in the best location possible. Once established in the country, they'll be less picky about where their stores go.

Another reason why their phones are madly priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Another reason why their phones are madly priced.

How are they madly priced? Top end samsung and others are similarly priced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement