Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACT ENTRY A5 speaker noise

Options
  • 21-10-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

For quite a while now have noticed that gate entry system (ACT entry A5) external keypad is making a lot of inference noise - a bit like GSM interference with a PC speaker. Has anyone experienced similar issues or able to advise how best to resolve as very annoying. the noise does not effect the internal intercom speaker just gate pillar keypad speaker.

Also is it possible to turn off internal intercom speaker key press sounds eg when press the 1 or 2 buttons.?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is this a constant sound or intermittent?
    Is this always been a problem or has it only just appeared?
    If so has its appearance coincided with anything new?
    Just trying to eliminate it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agentsmith

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is this a constant sound or intermittent?
    Is this always been a problem or has it only just appeared?
    If so has its appearance coincided with anything new?
    Just trying to eliminate it down a bit.

hi thanks for quick reply.

1. noise is intermittent. it does seem to be related to mobile /gsm but when turned off mobile and placed near speaker to test the same noise interference is experienced which suggests maybe not directly related - or maybe from nearby neighbors house or WIFI BB in house?? when i come out in morning to go to work i hear noise everytime same when return and open gate.
    2. cant say was noticeable when first installed electric gate so would say no or at least become much more pronounced and frequent last 3-4mths
    3. have tried to link with something such as weather (damp,humid,dry wet etc) but first noticed when had heat wave in summer and all dry. no changes or modifications were made to system since first installed.

note i have a gsm dialer installed with entry pad so able to open gate remotely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

agentsmith wrote: »

note i have a gsm dialer installed with entry pad so able to open gate remotely.

That would be the most likely cause.
    Have you tried powering this down?

How would I go about doing this? Is it for a novice like me to do? Assuming this is indeed culprit I assume some tweaks can be made to make less sensitive etc or is it the quality of the gsm dialer?

I would power it down first to see if its the problem.
    If it is look at relocation away from the doorstation.

• Advertisement

Is there a way to do this locally and still operate the gate or do I need isolate all power to gate-think separate rcd on fuse panel in house for gate and pier lights.

No you should be able to disconnect the power locally from the unit itself. If your unsure open it and post up a picture and we can give you more information.

Will the A5 manual do? see attached.

Assume disconnecting power will not effect any programming config in place eg gsm dialing or key fobs etc? what about any tamper connections if remove cover? sorry just bit reluctant to attempt if means wont be able to get back on ok and gate to operate. If correct believe fairly straightforward -on entry panel, unclip security screw cover, remove screw and fold back cover -minding cable connections or am I way off mark.

Any thoughts on if possible to turn off or lower house intercom key press tone??

Thanks in advance

On something like that a tamper should not affect it. All you do is open it and disconnect the + on the power into the device. It should no affect any other gate controls.
    Not sure about the keypad tones.

by + do you mean the +VIN on entry panel? will the panel still operate and function so just test system without GSM to see if similar speaker noise interference.

• Advertisement

You just need to power down the GSM unit, nothing else. If you power down the speaker unit you will not be able to check if the interference is gone or not.

Hi,

I took a picture of the setup inside the gate control box and attach FYI. Looks a bit busy to me and not sure if typical or if GSM antenna should be inside or if current setup is result of the apparent GSM noise interference. Interested to hear your thoughts?

Can you advise what power connections I need disconnect to power down the GSM? Will removing the SIM card not suffice also or do I need power down to test fully?

A bit messy all right. The black unit in the centre should be the power supply for it. Disconnect the 2 black wires connecting to the brown pairs you have shown in the bottom right photo. Make note of the connections as this is DC & the polarity will need to be correct.
    I can really see from the photo, but is the aerial inside that obo box?
    It should really be fixed externally.

Cheers - Yes the GSM antenna is inside the box and placed on top of power adapter and GSM module. The long extension lead even to me would imply should be external ! Do you think this is the problem i.e. aerial too close to power source ? I dont think the box has any spare outlet ports to run it though - probably why was left inside in first place!

Do i need consider the backup battery supply also if disconnect the two black cables from the junction with two brown/white cables as suggest?

Hard to make it out.
    Disconnect those 2 connections & see if it powers down.

Advertisement