Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 State RV Adventure - Madness?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, planning a 3 week or so holiday for next September and an RV road trip across the States is figuring pretty highly in the choices. The route is linked here -> http://goo.gl/maps/Jv9ex

So it's basically flying into Chicago from Dublin, hiring an RV and driving it to Dallas via St Louis, Memphis, Jackson, New Orleans and Houston. From Dallas we'll fly to Vegas and onwards to LA/Santa Monica to chill for the last few days of the trip. I'm thinking 2/3 days in each place.

Questions I have;
    - Will any RV company entertain me with such a one way journey?
    - Would the cost of an RV be prohibitive?
    - Will going South at that time of the year be pointless because of Hurricance Season?
    - Is it too tight a time frame?
    - Are they a good spread of Cities to visit?

I'll probably have more questions as I feel out the feasibility of this but if anyone could give any insight into the above.... Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hmmm...why an RV? If you want to visit cities the RV would be a hinderance than anything. The cost of an RV vs hotels is pretty much equal, and if you just rent a car then you will be more mobile. Also fueling an RV is going to cost a load.
    In the US, public transit in cities isn't very clear cut - and good luck trying to park the RV in the city centers.

RV's are good if you are visiting national parks etc, but for this sort of trip I would recommend a car and hotels.

As for the south and hurricanes...you need to keep an eye on local conditions at the time - there is no telling. This year the hurricane season was pretty quiet, whereas last year there were a few monsters. It doesn't go year and year about..you can have quiet years then a few bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'd skip Dallas. (is it because of the 70's tv show?) There's nothing there (Think birmingham in england.) I dont know much about Houston either. Austin is the city in Texas to visit, and maybe the alamo in San Antonio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've never done it but it seems to me a RV would be better out west. Where distances are longer and there's more national parks etc.

In the mid west you'd be far more mobile with just a car. A RV can be restrictive because of the size. There's so many motels/hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't avoid the south just because it is hurricane season. Hurricanes are such massive storm systems, everyone knows a week in advance when one is on the way, the strength of it & the state(s) it is likely to affect. Just keep an eye on the news and if it looks like Houston or New Orleans may be affected by a hurricane, just go somewhere else that is more inland. The area is so huge, you'll be bound to find loads of things to see and do that aren't on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

cson wrote: »
    Hey folks, planning a 3 week or so holiday for next September and an RV road trip across the States is figuring pretty highly in the choices. The route is linked here -> http://goo.gl/maps/Jv9ex

So it's basically flying into Chicago from Dublin, hiring an RV and driving it to Dallas via St Louis, Memphis, Jackson, New Orleans and Houston. From Dallas we'll fly to Vegas and onwards to LA/Santa Monica to chill for the last few days of the trip. I'm thinking 2/3 days in each place.

Questions I have;
    - Will any RV company entertain me with such a one way journey?
    - Would the cost of an RV be prohibitive?
    - Will going South at that time of the year be pointless because of Hurricance Season?
    - Is it too tight a time frame?
    - Are they a good spread of Cities to visit?

I'll probably have more questions as I feel out the feasibility of this but if anyone could give any insight into the above.... Thanks!

Wow-that's ambitious and adventurous-good for you.

Given your intent is to visit these cities the RV would be a logistical nightmare.

I wouldn't see any reason to visit St Louis, Dallas or Jackson to be honest.

Jet blue and Southwest fly almost everywhere you would want to go so I would look to pick fewer cities and spend more time in each one.

Personally I could spend a week just in Chicago-it's my favorite city in the world.

I would do Nashville instead of Memphis.

New Orleans was a big disappointment-just a big drink fest with lots of low lives on every corner

Loved San Antonio and Austin is close at hand

Have you given any thought to hitting San Francisco and wine country

It's a huge country with lots of awesome things to do. If I has this opportunity, I would focus on seeing things you wouldn't see anywhere else on the world

Good luck- I'm jealous

• Advertisement
Advertisement