Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regrouting 100 sq metres of Indian Sandstone

• 21-10-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

a contractor recently laid 160 Indian Sandstones (each one was 2ft x 2ft).

Unfortunately the grouting crumbled and the contractor tried to rectify three times.

What I have now is a dreadful looking grouting job with three different grouting mixes.

How can I buff away or remove the grouting residue that is affecting all tile surfaces without damaging the sandstone surface??

Powerwash, chemicals, microscrub, wire brush???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Starsailor wrote: »
    Hi,

Unfortunately the grouting crumbled and the contractor tried to rectify three times.

What I have now is a dreadful looking grouting job with three different grouting mixes.

How can I buff away or remove the grouting residue that is affecting all tile surfaces without damaging the sandstone surface??

You've got a very tricky job to sort out this mess and you will need to be very careful when physically removing ( hand/power chisel) the grouting from joints so as not to damage/move existing slabs.

It is probably unlikely you will be able to remove any residual surface stains.

Can you post any pics? Why not get the contractor to rectify the problems, 3 mixes, crumbling grouting is far from a professional finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Starsailor wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to hear that.:mad::mad:

Im thinking out loud here,
    the contractor gave you a price which prob included using 10-12 tubs of rompox grout, which doesnt stain (€35 a tub), and then pulled a fast one and used a dampish mix of cement and sand,which can stain( €10 for the whole area) and did a bad job of it. and he kept trying to pull a fast one tried again and still couldnt fix his mess. Hope you wont be recommending him.

But to answer your question , the options are to go over joints with a disc and cut it out and then clean out joints with a small trowel and re grout with flow point or rompox or fuge. @160m2 your work is cut out, ........:D:D:D
    If paving is stained with cement its tough to clean, try brick cleaner and wire brush(buy a few!!)
    Seal when all this is done

would love to see a pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Sounds like the bloke that done mine except it hasn't crumbled but doesn't look nice.Had mint sandstone laid last year and i thought rompox was going to be used but all he did was mix a runny sand and cement mix and poured it on and used a squeegee and covered the whole area with the mix,waited 10 mins and washed it off,leaving the joints filled but stained the sandstone in places. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Sounds like the bloke that done mine except it hasn't crumbled but doesn't look nice.Had mint sandstone laid last year and i thought rompox was going to be used but all he did was mix a runny sand and cement mix and poured it on and used a squeegee and covered the whole area with the mix,waited 10 mins and washed it off,leaving the joints filled but stained the sandstone in places. :(

that sounds like flowpoint. it needs to be cleaned of thoroughly with power washer just after setting (10mins) to get best results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

rje66 wrote: »
    that sounds like flowpoint. it needs to be cleaned of thoroughly with power washer just after setting (10mins) to get best results

He used my garden hose and the pressure from it is useless,as the sandstone is uneven cement has gathered in the ridges and looks brutal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement