Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what age did you move your toddler from cot to bed?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

My little boy is 14 months and wakes himself up constantly turning over and banging off the sides of his cot bed. Now I wouldn't move him yet but just wondering what age did you move your little ones into a bed?
    And what sort of bed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We just moved our toddler a couple of months ago. She was just over 2 years old.

It's just a normal single bed. wooden frame, sprung mattress.
    She rolled out I think the first three nights, onto pillows on the floor. Bump in the night!

We put on a soft net bedguard thing that my sister in law was finished with then... she is fine since. Still very active in her sleep, ends up in all corners of the bed, but generally stays in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My 18 month old is in hers a month now.
    No 2 due in march so wanted her well settled before baby "stole" her cot.
    We just had an ordinary cot but can remove 3 bars so child learns to get in and out themselves. So we done that first for about a month or 2 so she got used to the freedom .
    Then we seen a toddler bed on offer for 130 inclu mattress so we got it. Got a secondhand bed rail for 1 side as the rails on it were very short . (Her bed is not against a wall)
    She fell out about 3 times but have pillows also on the floor.
    Also our biggest problem was keeping her covered. She has been in a gro bag since 4 weeks old and just kicks blankets off. So we got her old 0-6 month gro bags cut 2 holes in the bottom for her feet so she could walk around without falling but kept covered.
    Then about 2 weeks ago we got her peppa pig duvet set and she keeps that over her now.
    Some nights she gets out and plays with her toys for a few mins then gets back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Thanks for the replies :-)

Ya know the bed rails the way they go underneath the mattress, does that mean you can only use one on one side or can you get the same design one that covers both sides?? (I am going to look into them, i just havent got the chance yet!)Sorry if that seems like a simple question but any of the rails I've seen in other peoples houses(those net ones) they seem to go in under the mattress to hold then in place.

I am going to hold off for a few months anyway if I can until he is walking properly and a little bit more sturdy getting up and down, but I wouldn't mind being prepared :-)

Mine is the net bed rail and i dont think you would get to put 2 as it does go under the matress. You could put one side against a wall and the rail on the other side. Our toddler bed had 2 small rails that come down about a 3rd of the way so we put bed rail on one side then on the other just left the rail that came with the bed as the rail ends where the gap used to be on thecot so she knew thats where she gets in and out.
    I bought mine second hand off adverts for 10 which was great .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Suucee wrote: »
    Mine is the net bed rail and i dont think you would get to put 2 as it does go under the matress. You could put one side against a wall and the rail on the other side. Our toddler bed had 2 small rails that come down about a 3rd of the way so we put bed rail on one side then on the other just left the rail that came with the bed as the rail ends where the gap used to be on thecot so she knew thats where she gets in and out.
    I bought mine second hand off adverts for 10 which was great .
    Believe it or not, we don't have a wall to put it against with built in wardrobes, radiator, ensuite. Just spotted a double one on Amazon for £19, not bad at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I moved my 15 month old into a regular adult single bed a fortnight ago. She was co sleeping with us until then and anytime I put her in cot was awake in 20 minutes with banging off the sides. I have her in a box room so bed is against radiator, with a duvet blocking the hole to stop her falling down the inside! Toddler bedside, and cot mattress on the floor. She's doing fine in it hasn't fallen out or anything close to it... Like that no 2 due in March and didn't want to buy a new cot. Particularly because I never really used it in the first place :)

Gee_G wrote: »
    Believe it or not, we don't have a wall to put it against with built in wardrobes, radiator, ensuite. Just spotted a double one on Amazon for £19, not bad at all!

We didnt want to put it up against a wall either as have a kind of feature on the wall wher the cot was and would look silly if we moved things around.
    Thats not a bad price at all. I cant exactly remember now but a single one new wasnt too cheap. I went with toddler bed rather than single bed as we were worried LO wouldnt be able to climb up on it if she got out half asleep or anything.
    Plus toddler bed was cheaper at the time to get us by for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My son moved from our bed into his own bed (single size) when he was 18 months. It's also against a a wall/ radiator and we also stuffed the gap for a few months. We used to put pillows on the floor on the open side but he's never fallen out of the bed.
    He gets in and out himself very easily and gets out during the night/ early morning to come back to our bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

My LO is in a bed since she was 14 months old. I moved her as she began falling out of the cot due to hanging over the top of it until she fell & it was scary. She was wearing grobags & still didn't help.
    Anyways, I use the bed rails & they are great. Bought in Smyths for 14.99 & it sits into base of bed. Now she is nearly two, it is a novelty for her to go to bed with princesses/Peppa depending what quilt cover is on the bed.
    If she was happy in the cot I would have left her as long as possible. She did go through a phase of banging off the side of the cot but I got an airflow bumper that velcroes onto the bars of the cot (called breathable bumpers iirc) made by Baby Elegance I think and a toddler pillow from Clevamamma which sorted that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I was around 29 when I moved my son from the cot to his first bed, he's now 12.

Around 3 or 2 and a half, it depends on the kids ability to detach from the cot etc

I don't think it's written in stone. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My little one is on the cot at 3 and its only now I've realised I need her to be able to get out and use the potty before I can train her in the nights.

Before I do this though I have to put locks on the windows as they are really old and remove a few hazards that she would be able to reach.

I also have a 20 month neither of them have slept in a bed after they finished co sleeping at 6 months. They just always associate cot with sleep. Bed with playing and bouncing, oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I really should start thinking about moving the 2 year old into a bed. ..but the thoughts of him being as bad as his olderbrother to ssettle in it is putting me off. Id love to get the room sorted with two beds and get the upstairs back into some semblance of organised though!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Geomy wrote: »
    I was around 29 when I moved my son from the cot to his first bed,

:D
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My little one is on the cot at 3 and its only now I've realised I need her to be able to get out and use the potty before I can train her in the nights.

I'm in the same boat.. he'll be 3 in December and has made no attempt to get out of the cot so we just left him in it..

I'm hoping to do the transition in the next week or so.. I want to get an extra tall gate for his room first though, just incase.

Advertisement