Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Mulcahy's Luger pistol

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

tac foley wrote: »
    Gentlemen - although this thread has certainly generated some interesting comments, and information, too, it hasn't discovered for me the answer to my question.

So unless anybody out there has an answer, I guess that this thread is dead in the water, as it covers a type of gun that is not common in the RoI for any number of reasons.

Thanks again for all your contributions.

tac

Tac,

I'm not making any promises but leave it with me. The generals nephew is an inlaw of mine, who I will be seeing over the weekend. I will ask him has he any idea as to what happened or where the Lugar might now be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That is just amazing! Thank you in advance indeed. Not that I'd be able to do anything about such an item - national treasure of Ireland as it must be - it's just that I'm trying to put together a collection of 'stories of myth and legend of the Luger pistol in the hands of the famous'-kind of thing.

Another point that has come up is the amazing number of people with family or friendly connections with the general. I 'spose, though, that with such a relatively small population I really shouldn't have been that surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Gen Richard Mulcahy.jpg

I know this isn't what your looking for Tac , just thought it might interest the other posters . If I find anymore ill post them but i"m going deer hunting in the morning and i have an early start so i"m not going to spend much more time on the computer. .

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Gen Richard Mulcahy.jpg

I know this isn't what your looking for Tac , just thought it might interest the other posters . If I find anymore ill post them but i"m going deer hunting in the morning and i have an early start so i"m not going to spend much more time on the computer. .

Sir - thank you for that image. However, please note that is the very one in Nelson's book, too! Obviously, this jpg image is of superior quality to that one.

Good luck on the hill.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

tac foley wrote: »
    That is just amazing! Thank you in advance indeed. Not that I'd be able to do anything about such an item - national treasure of Ireland as it must be - it's just that I'm trying to put together a collection of 'stories of myth and legend of the Luger pistol in the hands of the famous'-kind of thing.

Another point that has come up is the amazing number of people with family or friendly connections with the general. I 'spose, though, that with such a relatively small population I really shouldn't have been that surprised.

Tac,

PM sent.

• Advertisement

A public thank you to Klunk001 for his information.

You are a gentleman, Sir.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Geezz what a swindle!!!

Sorry, thats what I would have seen many years ago when you get stiffed of the punch line.

I've been following the thread, and got interested in the subject as it involved a luger.

Only now the answer is not revealed and sent in a PM.....

Ok ... I can accept that maybe the info is somehow confidential, but this thread has run and I am dying to know the resulting answer.

Any chance of getting the answer? please????? please????

dc99 wrote: »
    Geezz what a swindle!!!

Sorry, thats what I would have seen many years ago when you get stiffed of the punch line.

I've been following the thread, and got interested in the subject as it involved a luger.

Only now the answer is not revealed and sent in a PM.....

Ok ... I can accept that maybe the info is somehow confidential, but this thread has run and I am dying to know the resulting answer.

Any chance of getting the answer? please????? please????

Nothing to hide, just a long screed from Klunk abut his family that is not for the public forum, and we STILL don't know where the General's Luger is.

When we DO know, I'll be sure to tell you all - I promise.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

:-) thats cool.

It is like every mystery, people get hooked.

It was the item in question that had my interest and wondering where it ended up (from reading the previous bits).

For instance the reason I have an interest in Luger's is because My father (RIP) when he was a child found a secret compartment in a book case/writing cabinet.

Inside was a Luger in one side and in the other was a magazine with rounds.....God what I'd give to know the history and the subsequent happenings (The Luger was surrendered to the garda when my grand parents found out about it :-( . this I guess, because I was never told and wasn't old enough at the time to ask. ) anyway the book case was supposed to have been owned by a Doctor.....and there ends an unfinished story that bugs me to this day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Anyone ever see the select fire Luger carbine[NO BS!!] in storage up in the Curragh??:eek::)There is proably two or three of them in the world and we have one of them in storage...
    Would anyone like to hazard a guess on how such a thing even exists???;)
    A challenge for all Luger fans here.:p

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/07/13/george-lugers-secret-rifle/

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-semiauto-rifles/german-luger-rifle/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Err NO,we dont have one of those here.Pity mind.
    Will post the pics and story later today.
    Grizz

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I have to say one thing about us Irish,we can produce the most unique and exotic things betimes out of nowhere if they topic comes up in conversation.Recently I was talking to a neighbour about Winchester shotguns[as you do] and he mentions "Shure X up the road has one of them "Cowboy style guns ..Cept he shoots ducks with it." Intrigued,I asked for an introduction and discoverd sure enough he has a genuine 1887 Winchester lever action 12 GA....But thats another story for another day..:P

Anyways it is safe to say that no doubt tucked away and forgotton in darkest Ireland are proably some very unique pieces of history and gun designs in this great little county of ours.As we have in this case up in the Curragh storage of the TCO 1972 collection.

The pics are from the Feb 1996 Deutsche Waffen Journal article Deutsche pistole 08 in Irland by Udo Troster.

What looks like a standard Artillery Luger with a snail drum ,shoulder stock and cleaning bits and mag loader and wooden storage box is deceptive,as it has been modified to select fire[pic 3].This looks like it was done very professionally and is simply an interrupter on the trigger bar which keeps it disengaged until the trigger is released again. The front& rear sights have been modified to clear the select fire mechanism,which apprently is now making it work only in full auto[at least this was in around 1995/96 when this article was written] due to wear and tear.
    Only other modification has been inclusion of a fold able wooden fore grip. The serial number suggests it was a cross over model that was bought privately.But thats where it apprently ends in traceability.

Where or who converted it??

There is only speculation on this,as there seems to be no documentation as to where or how this came to be in the Curragh collection..[Or at least the army aint saying..:p]
    All agree it was a professionally done conversion,which could have been carried out by any number of competant gunsmiths.
    However, I stumbled across this post on another forum

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4997450

Full-Auto Artillery Luger?
    I was reading recently about some old time outlaws and learned that towards the end of Prohibition, a popular automatic weapon was an Artillery Luger that fired full auto, used with the 32 rd. drum and holster stock. I've done searches and could not find any further info on this machine pistol/SMG. I don't even know if this was a German made original, or an underworld conversion. Standard Lugers were somewhat common in that period, though less popular than Colt autos or even revolvers, having been smuggled back as trophies from WWI. Even when Lugers were brand new, that's why Tom Horn died, couldn't figure out how to cock the newfangled toggle link pistol.

But this was my first time hearing about the full auto Artillery model. Any info would be helpful. Figured some of you NFA buffs might have some info. I'd guess these were (then legal) conversions on a semi only gun, there were several smiths performing similar work on 1911's and Winchester 07's, as well as re-arming dewatted heavy MGs. Harvey Bailey, others in the Holden-Keating crew (so probably Verne Miller too, the best typist of the day), all early post-prohibition, high dollar stick-up men, were some of the users of this unique weapon. That's all I know. A conversion job probably would have came from Chicago. I don't know enough about the Luger action to know the difficulty of setting it up for rock n' roll, but those gunsmiths had ingenuity, and a very decent supply of aftermarket hi-caps, comps, suppressors, and so on. I turned up nothing on machine pistol variants from Luger makers. I think if there was one it would be well known as a Mauser Schnellfeuer.
    Last edited by .351winchester; July 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM.

I seem to recall reading something to that effect, but took it with a grain of salt. There were several patents, in Germany and elsewhere, for full auto Luger conversions, but none seem to have gone beyond the "one off" stage. I have no doubt that a "gangster gunsmith" could make such a conversion, and there were some M1911s so converted in the gangster era, but a full auto pistol, even with a shoulder stock, is not very practical.

The FBI collection has a couple of M1911 pistols converted to full auto, apparently more for psychological effect than any practical use, but I don't recall any Lugers. Full auto pistols are uncontrollable, even with a shoulder stock. I have fired Mausers, Spanish Astras, and several miscellaneous conversions, including two M1911 conversions (all legally owned, BTW). None would hit anything beyond the first or second round.

Jim

So Is there a possibility that this Luger was a gangster conversion shipped in from the USA somtime in the 1916/56 Troubles era??

Next clue came from Rowa with
    Hymen S. Lehman of san antonio texas perhaps Grizz ?

A google of mr Lehman [Actually LEBman]

http://peashooter85.tumblr.com/post/65003404862/the-baby-machine-guns-of-hyman-s-lehman-in

http://www.guns.com/2012/09/26/lebman-1911-machine-pistol/

However there is no evidence to suggest Lebman did this Luger conversion either.
    Although it is quite possible that he could have done.
    Yet it would be intresting to know how it got from Texas to the Curragh.

I hypothetise that this gun might have been built up North in an Irish community of NY or Chicago or Boston,where the Irish and Italian mafias were together,or falling out which other and there would still have been the possibility of IRA arms being shipped back to the aul Sod.

Then again,it could have possibly been built privately for someone in Ireland/GB in the 1920s.As under UK firearms laws full auto firearms were freely sold up to the mid 1920s[??] Maybe it was some Auxies or "Tans" PDW??

Whatever ,it certainly must have a very intresting history connected somehow to Ireland that is now lost in the mists of time.:(

One thing is for sure it is a unique almost one of a kind Luger.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I suppose we will never know grizz, for sure, where the luger came from or who built it. It is the sort of thing lehman or lebman did build in texas, paying for it by lifelong harrassment from the feds even though he had not technically commited a crime. Is there no one with any interest in firearms in the curragh camp who could do some research or enquire as to where this carbine originated from ?

Fascinating stuff, Ronan and Grizzly, and many thanks for posting it all. You're right, some VERY odd stuff ended up in Ireland during the long years of troubles in the last century, much of it emanating from well-wishers/supporters in the USA.

We'll never know the full stories of these many weird and wonderful guns, that's for sure.

tac

Tac,
    Think the most bizarre gun we must have is apprently in the Garda ballistic section,is a Mauser 1918 T gewehr.[Tank rifle] that has been cut down abit

A 13.2 mm calibre 41 lb loaded two man crew served single shot rifle,
    designed for shooting holes in ww1 tanks.The poor Fritz who had to fire and hump that yoke must have been built like Schwarzenegger.

How that ended up here.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi Tac,

I know where Frank Aikens guns are if your interested? I was at school with his grandaughter. One of the pistols is a .32 pocket pistol. Family legend say he carried it on the day of the first sitting of the Dail.

chem wrote: »
    Hi Tac,

I know where Frank Aikens guns are if your interested? I was at school with his grandaughter. One of the pistols is a .32 pocket pistol. Family legend say he carried it on the day of the first sitting of the Dail.

Frank aiken was an interesting character, and certainly done more than his bit for irish freedom, both in the ira and later in the dail. Although he was an armagh man he lived near where i do here in sandyford.

http://www.theirishstory.com/2013/02/11/frank-aiken-nationalist-and-internationalist/#.UnkCT3BFC8A

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2006/12/12/hidden-history-founding-fathers-frank-aiken-gunman-and-statesman/

http://www.ucd.ie/archives/html/collections/aiken-frank.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Aiken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Good few Frank Aiken items in the Aiken Barracks Museum in Dundalk, Curator is SGT Lucchesi, Well worth a visit!!!!

Next time I'm in the North, I'll have a look, if I'm spared.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

rowa wrote: »
    Frank aiken was an interesting character, and certainly done more than his bit for irish freedom, both in the ira and later in the dail. Although he was an armagh man he lived near where i do here in sandyford.

Rowa It was when the family went to clear the Dublin house, after Frank died that they found the guns! All in Aikens in Dundalk now as posted already!

• Advertisement
Advertisement